• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the idea of the pure rubber, but I don't like the look of the croc with a rubber retainer. Maybe it looks nicer in person. Someone said earlier hublot have been doing this for a while, and that's what it looks like to me - a bit too hublot.

Doesn't quite work for me either. I love the RubberB I got for my BLNR (other than the fact that the blue stripe down the middle is far subtler than it looked in pictures) but the rubber keeper on alligator looks far too incongrous to me. I'd not hesitate to get another all rubber version though, if a future kop warranted a rubber strap. A pity the RubberB navy blue doesn't quite match the blue of the Sub..

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I may get one in the future depending on apps but more for working out than a regular watch.  Garmin and Suunto GPS watches can be $500+ and their functionality is limited to their parent company.  The Apple Watch will open the door for 3rd parties to create other things that are helpful in tracking workouts.

I am more looking at it from that standpoint than to wear it all the time.

The apple watch doesn't strike me as comfortable or particularly practical for (hard) workouts. Granted this is my opinion just from seeing pics and reading about it, but it seems sub-par as a workout watch from a design standpoint (probably since it wasn't designed with only working out in mind).

Am toying with the idea of picking up the Sport edition as a workout watch. Been thinking about something along the lines of a Fitbit or some other new-fangled fitness gadget to whip my fat ass into shape so we shall see. Of course, depends on stock availability and knowing Apple product launches, probably be the end of the year before these are widely available.

Last edited:

Dachshund

Reaction score
Re fitbits, etc. I've been using a Jawbone UP 24 for about four months. I'd say it's interesting to use, and I'm strangely addicted to it, but it doesn't actually do all that much. The sleep tracker is certainly interesting; usefully it syncs with My Fitness Pal so exercise you have input to the UP ap and steps/running you have done automatically adjust calorie needs in MFP; and it has some neat motivational stuff. The new version that measures heart rate through the day and night might be useful. But I don't think the think is particularly accurate - feels about right but not completely right. It would be no substitute for a Garmin or similar for proper training.

Edit - to sum up, if you're a fat-ass looking to get in shape, then a Jawbone in conjunction with various other aps is for you. If you're a serious athlete then it's of interest, but not your main gadget. Truly, for anyone who wants to shed some fat, My Fitness Pal is absolutely the thing. Most weight loss is about diet rather than exercise. I lost 1 1/2 stone over six months using My Fitness Pal in conjunction with a trainer once a week and a sensible, but by no means absurd, exercise regime. Anyone in London who wants an awesome PT can PM me as mine is superb.

Last edited:

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Re fitbits, etc. I've been using a Jawbone UP 24 for about four months. I'd say it's interesting to use, and I'm strangely addicted to it, but it doesn't actually do all that much. The sleep tracker is certainly interesting; usefully it syncs with My Fitness Pal so exercise you have input to the UP ap and steps/running you have done automatically adjust calorie needs in MFP; and it has some neat motivational stuff. The new version that measures heart rate through the day and night might be useful. But I don't think the think is particularly accurate - feels about right but not completely right. It would be no substitute for a Garmin or similar for proper training.

Edit - to sum up, if you're a fat-ass looking to get in shape, then a Jawbone in conjunction with various other aps is for you. If you're a serious athlete then it's of interest, but not your main gadget. Truly, for anyone who wants to shed some fat, My Fitness Pal is absolutely the thing. Most weight loss is about diet rather than exercise. I lost 1 1/2 stone over six months using My Fitness Pal in conjunction with a trainer once a week and a sensible, but by no means absurd, exercise regime. Anyone in London who wants an awesome PT can PM me as mine is superb.

PT, not so much. Wouldn't mind knowing a good gym or two though, as I'm moving to London in five weeks. Do people do hot yoga there? Or is that more of a Yankee thing...

Lord Mulberry

Reaction score
I'm not really a fan of large face watches, they tend to be a bit too gimicky for my liking but I have seen one or two decent designs

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PT, not so much. Wouldn't mind knowing a good gym or two though, as I'm moving to London in five weeks. Do people do hot yoga there? Or is that more of a Yankee thing...

Where abouts in town there are plenty of gyms. Not so much hot yoga if I remember it got bad press as a the easiest environment to spread bacteria and viruses.

Dachshund

Reaction score

There is hot yoga in London but I recall it being a bit smelly. If you google there are a few around the west end and in the immediate suburbs.

A number of independent spin studios have started popping up, if that's your thing. As a rule of thumb London tends to be a year behind fitness 'innovations' in the US.

Gyms range from the very high end, like Equinox, which is in Kensington, Bath & Rackets, which is a private club in Mayfair, and one in Chelsea (name escapes me). They are expensive and probably not worth it unless you are right on their doorstep. Then there are mid-range small chains like Third Space, which is in the west end - I used to go there and it is good but not convenient for me now - and GymBox which I use and which has around five branches across central London - I like it as it has the things I need and my PT is based there, but you have to go outside of peak times or it is unusable. Then there are the usual bottom end chains like Fitness First, which have branches everywhere but IME are not particularly comfortable.

Finally, I believe there are various bootcamps like Barry's Boot Camp, British Military Fitness and various cross-fit type things, which I have never used so can't comment on.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@culverwood Haven't picked a location yet. We're looking at the North Southwark-Bermondsey area, possibly the Angel area. The relocation expert wants to show us Clapham, but it seems a bit far from Canary Wharf (Mrs. Hedonist's new workplace) and I've been told its overrun with Aussies. And of course Greenwich has an undeniable charm. (To bring it back around) I like to imagine myself setting my GMT II to the observatory clock. It's going to be a whirlwind tour the first few weeks.

I had a feeling there would be some resistance to hot Yoga, haha. It's not exactly the most... dignified of recreational activities. What the detractors don't tell you is the die-hards are so damn fit & healthy they don't really have much to spread. But I digress.

I'd probably be happy with a fitness center that's nice enough to keep the machines clean and the towels plentiful without trying to fool me into thinking that lifting heavy objects should be a luxury experience.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cannot claim to know the area but 37 degrees in North Sourthwark has a good reputation, and that is a part of town which is on the up or up already. Clapham sounds like a long trek to Canary Wharf but the relocation agent may know something I do not and Greenwich though lovely is a little out of it. All of the places I mention are "South of the River" which of course means where dragons live and are off my and most cabbies maps :D

As a left field alternative some time ago my daughter rented in the Bow Quarter which though East End is gated with its own pool and gym. http://www.thebowquarter.co.uk/pages/bowquarter.htm

Edit - In your shoes Angel looks the best bet and if the commute works Islington is central, with its own vibe and for the most part is decent property. (which I think is what Dachshund thinks too)

Last edited:

Dachshund

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong on hot yoga - it's an awesome workout - but Jesus, the smell.

"Clapham" is quite a broad area - parts are nice, others not so. But it would be quite a schlep from there to Canary Wharf. I used to live there (still have a place there we rent out). It's in what estate agents call "Abbeville Village", which is one of the nice parts - decent pubs and restaurants, near the common, youngish crowd).

Greenwich would be easier but it's a bit of an odd place - the observatory and park are nice, but I've never found the town itself that nice. If you're interested in that area then consider Blackheath, which is just up the hill from Greenwich and has a nice village feel to it and some nice architecture. Don't let your agent pull you into any surrounding areas though as it quickly gets pretty grubby in Lewisham, Kidbrooke, New Cross, etc.

Angel is good fun, buzzy, young crowd, good shops and nightlife, some nice architecture. You can walk to the city from there. I don't know how the links to Canary Wharf are.

By all accounts I wouldn't want to live in Canary Wharf - a bit like a conservative business dress that empties at the weekend - but some of the areas along the river, like Bermondsey, Shad Thames, Wapping, etc. have some nice warehouse conversions and more going for them at the weekend.

Edit: I should add, I agree with Culverwood, Greenwich (and Blackheath) is a bit far out. If you want the buzz of central London then they ain't for you. More like suburban villages.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads