• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
Breguet

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well it's the start of a new year, and I suppose it's time for a mega-dose of frillyvolousness to start the year off right (mimo, as requested). For the past few months I've been obsessing over upgrading the cuff link collection, poring over various selections and checking the work of jewelers against what other jewelers claim they can make for me in a bespoke fashion (and attendant pricing). Much like my selection of watches I have decided on only a small handful; deliciously crafted from precious metals and with workmanship that can't easily be duplicated very well by run of the mill jewelers (I checked with many jewelers based in the US, Asia and Australia too).

Here is the first installment: Alhambra cuff links from Van Cleef and Arpels - onyx set in white gold.

qedubyvy.jpg

Think it complements my choice of the 3970P today just fine:

3agevaju.jpg

More to come over the next few days.

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frills, those Alhambra's look great with your 3970! Excellent choice...and nice Hermes tie.

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on the Rolex GMT Black and Blue? Been thinking about a beefier watch than my Nautilus and miss my Rolex...

I can't decide whether I love it or hate it.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone have any thoughts on the Rolex GMT Black and Blue? Been thinking about a beefier watch than my Nautilus and miss my Rolex...

LOVE IT! It's stunning in person and on my wishlist. If i didn't have the SS Sub already I would probably have bought one this week.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its one of the few modern Rolex watches that I would like to add to my small collection. I have the last version of the Explorer 2 (a wedding gift from my wife) and this would make a great companion watch, perfect for travel, a bit more subdued than the classic Pepsi GMTs, and with all their most recent advancements (such as the parachrom blue hairspring which isn't affected by magnetism, the ceramic bezel insert, and the updated bracelet and clasp). I like the SubC, but the added timezone function of the GMT makes it more useful (as never go scuba diving or snorkeling). I do like the new Explorer 2, but the bezel on this will be better at hiding scratches and scuffs (and I do like the half blue/black bezel). It would also bring my Rolex journey full circle as my first good watch was a Rolex GMT Master.

So I say if you want something more rugged than your Nautilus, and the ability to track more than one timezone its a great choice. Go for it!
devil.gif

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@akatsuki Dino just taught me that^ My eyes and heart told me it looks great and seemingly TC thinks so too :nodding:

It's really great, for all the reasons Dino mentions. I tried it on just for kicks while I was waiting to have my AP sized and instantly fell in love. It's a real stunner on the wrist. I would have traded my Sub for it but my father gave me that watch as a law school graduation gift and I don't think I could ever bring myself to part with it. I can't justify a Sub and a GMT as they would do similar duty and then I would never want to wear the Sub, which would be sad given the sentimental value.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am biased but I think it is wonderful! The polished bits love little scratches though which is the only draw back I can find.

robw

Reaction score

LOVE IT! It's stunning in person and on my wishlist. If i didn't have the SS Sub already I would probably have bought one this week.

+1

If I wasn't set in the Rolex dept I would probably get one. Love the blue/black bezel.

But seriously, if it isn't doing it for you, who care what a bunch of us here think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chief41510