1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, I was just being facetious. The Portuguese 5001 is a supremely versatile watch.

I wear them as low as I can go--looks and feels more right to me, and makes it easier to fit shirt cuffs over.

2. mafoofan

The Cartier does in fact sit flush--I was careful to make sure, as it is a perfectly flat plane and could easily teeter or overhang on the wrong wrist.

I must admit that the Radiomir looks ridiculous. I am defeated in that regard. 24 hours ago, I would not have hesitated to buy one if I wanted one. Now I must confess that doing so would have been a mistake and trying it on was the only way to know.

That said, I think the 372 actually fits quite well. In real life, the lugs don't appear to overhang at all and you see much more strap from the top view. My self-photos are much to blame.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  3. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Wow, I have the left cuff of my shirts made a little larger to accommodate watches, but even so no effing way it's fitting over my BP or PAM (and I have a 44mm). lol

4. mafoofan

My bespoke shirt cuffs fit over my Big Pilot, so they will probably be okay over the 327. If not . . . well, I need new shirts anyway.

1 person likes this.
  5. mafoofan

What if the choice is:

1. Cartier Tank Extra Flat + Panerai 372, or
    2. Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Extra Thin

6. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Luminor looks better in those flicks. If the Radiomir was that size, I would have no complaints...

7. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

No contest. 2.

8. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

To be clear, you only have the Portuguese 5001 right now?

9. mafoofan

The two are actually about the same. In fact, the Radiomir is a tiny bit smaller (same size dial, but smaller case and no crown guard). It's the proportion of dial-to-case that makes it look so much bigger on the wrist. Also, the dark color of the "composite" case blends in more with the dial, making the surface area appear larger.

10. mafoofan

Yep.

11. TC (Houston)

LOL, I like the way you think.

Oh boy . . . I think the 15202 would be perfect for you, and it's about as versatile a watch as they come. I went with the 15400 because I thought I preferred the extra heft but lately have questioned that choice

12. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

15202 in a heartbeat. I am wearing mine today - and I know Dino is going to chime in with his love for the 15202. The Royal Oak is on another level from the other two watches. All the owners of the 15202 I know rave about it and says it dominates their wrist time, even with other impressive watches standing by.

13. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

The answer is always Royal Oak.

14. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Group think is not always right - you probably knew as soon as you added the AP to the list that TWAT posters would all go for it. Personally I think the Cartier would be a better choice given the IWC watch you have already.

15. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

#2.

Without a shadow of a doubt.

2 people like this.
  16. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Royal Oak is always right. :)

17. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Glad to hear the 504 is out. IMHO, it was just too much. The 372 is better, but I can't say I love how it looks on you. Maybe you can get wrist implants [​IMG]. J/K...you can get by with it, but to me its always looks best on people with a bigger build and larger wrists...just my 2 cents.

Rectangular watches can be a tough fit until the strap is a bit broken in a molded more to your wrist. Its tough to tell if its a good fit or too flat for your wrist. Only you can tell if it looks and feels right.
    Agreed...one of the nicest Patek cases in a while!

[​IMG] 100%. I just don't love how the Luminor looks on Foo's wrist. Yea...maybe he can get by with it, but it does start to take on the little kid wearing Dad's clothing look. If he is happy with it then that's what matters, but I agree with you on this one.

No contests...AP 15202 !!! It simply isn't even a fair contest. The workmanship, finish, and movement on the AP are so far superior to the other two that its not even a close call. I like the current extra flat Tank XL, but I prefer the CPCP Tank XL over it, and if I could only keep my CPCP Tank XL or my AP 15202... sadly I'd have to let the Tank go. I love the Tank as a dress watch, but the RO is something I could wear and do wear almost everyday. I really only wear my dress watches for the dressiest occasions...while the RO ultra thin looks amazing with a suit and perfectly at home with jeans, a sweater and a leather jacket. Also, as I've told others who have followed me down the dangerous path to an AP RO 15202, its a watch that you appreciate more each time you wear it. There are small nuances such as the beveled edges, the contrast of polished an brushed surfaces even on small areas of the watch that others might have ignored, and the way the petite Clou de Paris plays with the light is stunning.

My vote is right here!
    [​IMG]

Exactly! My other watches are jealous that they spend more time in storage, while the RO 15202 gets the bulk of my wrist time. I've had mine for a little over 2 years and its the best watch purchase I've ever made. Its pricey, but the more you wear it the more you can see why it costs what it does.

[​IMG]Spot on my maahhhnnn!

1 person likes this.
  18. mafoofan

I had no idea the Royal Oak would find so much overwhelming love here--must be a TWAT thing.

Don't get me wrong, I am myself a watch geek, fully understanding of the appeal and iconic status of the RO. However, even amongst WIS, it is a divisive watch. The styling is love it or hate it, and the movement is very pedestrian. Keep in mind, it is a 50-year old caliber, designed by a consortium of makers, not exclusively by AP. Without the branded, gold rotor, it is nothing particularly special. In contrast, the Piaget ultra-thin 430 caliber in the Cartier Tank Extra Flat is a much more notable movement. My main issue with the 430 is that it is a round movement in a rectangular watch--although that has often been par for the course in Tanks.

The RO is all about the case: the thoughtful, meticulous design, the integrated bracelet, the painfully perfect detailing, etc. That is valid, but many watch people would prefer to spend money on a more plain exterior with juicier guts inside.

19. TC (Houston)

We've been trolled . . . LOL

2 people like this.
  20. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I was thinking that with the prices he mentioned on the other 2 watches being $15,300, a 15202 is north of $20K which would tack on a third watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.