• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I honestly don't know. The most meaningful ones have been posted in this thread in the last 5 years. Haven't sold any of the ones here - gave one to a friend but otherwise, that's most of my collection.

cool. looks like i have some back reading to do, lol.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a Sinn 142 ST, a pretty old and classic Sinn model - "first automatic chronograph in space". B&R used to simply brand existing Sinn models when they started. Progressively they started to get some exclusive models made, and eventually only have their own designs now.
Hi gdl,

yea, I knew it was maybe Space One (I know they had at least 2 different space watches). One of my friends bought a B&R chronograph on a ss bracelet, back when as you mentioned they branded Sinn watches. It was a really handsome watch. Hate to say it, but the newer B&Rs just don't do anything for me.

IMG00584-20120219-1227.jpg

Always nice to see a vintage Sub. Once they develop that patina and the luminous markings turn cream color it just adds to its beauty.

So what about the VC Quai de L'ile? I like the sapphire backing but wish it was available with Roman numerals... Also, they should have figured out how to have the non-active numbers for dates be a bit more faded out... But overall an intriguing design.

Sorry, but its one VC I just don't care for. An acquaintance bought one in titanium. I it too busy and lacking in the traditional beauty I've come to expect from VC. I know in some ways its innovative, and a step toward attracting new buyers, but I don't like the watch at all. It reminds me of an Accutron Space View, but at a significantly higher cost. I'd much rather have their Historique American 1921.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I keep going back and forth on the Quai.

You should see it in person and then make a decision. For me seeing it in person I found I liked it even less than I did based on photos. Its a new direction for VC, either you will like it or you won't. VC has been one of my favorite brands for years (I own 2 of them), but this design is definitely not for me. Maybe trying it on will help you see determine whether its a good choice for you.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You should see it in person and then make a decision.  For me seeing it in person I found I liked it even less than I did based on photos.  Its a new direction for VC, either you will like it or you won't.  VC has been one of my favorite brands for years (I own 2 of them), but this design is definitely not for me.  Maybe trying it on will help you see determine whether its a good choice for you.

Yeah, I will have to do that.

I guess to get some context, do you not like skeletonized watches, or partially done ones? I am thinking of Armin Strom for example:

Cylon

Reaction score
I did like some of Maurice Lacroix's Masterpiece skeletons awhile back...I really don't know whats going on with the brand now after being sold to some other conglomerate--makes me stay away.

I have mentioned before that I do like Vulcains skeletons as well, but there too dont know what to make of the brand at this point in time.

For example:

that, frankly, rocks my socks.

Last edited:

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very nice. Is it the lighting or is that a gilt dial?

lighting.
gilt would be meter first and the text would be in gold.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I will have to do that.
I guess to get some context, do you not like skeletonized watches, or partially done ones? I am thinking of Armin Strom for example:

I actually like skeletonized watches a lot. Its a rather underappreciated area of watch making, and in the past VC has done some exceptional skeletonized pieces. This can often be seen in the 2nd hand market where skeletonized VCs, APs, and Pateks often sell for a fraction of their original prices. I think at some point I might like to pick up a vintage VC skeleton watch as they are quite a bargain relative to their original prices.

As for Armin Strom, its a nice watch. My concern with buying his pieces or that of other smaller less well known companies is that if you tire of the watch and you want to sell or trade it, you could lose a lot of $ and have trouble getting anyone to buy or take it in trade for a reasonable amount. AP, VC, Patek, and other better known companies have a larger following and will generally retain more of their value. I'm not suggesting those are the only brands to consider, nor am I saying Armin Strong doesn't make a good watch. I'm simply playing devils advocate and suggesting if you are someone that trades or sells watches frequently you may be better off considering a more mainstream brand name.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually like skeletonized watches a lot.  Its a rather underappreciated area of watch making, and in the past VC has done some exceptional skeletonized pieces.  This can often be seen in the 2nd hand market where skeletonized VCs, APs, and Pateks often sell for a fraction of their original prices.  I think at some point I might like to pick up a vintage VC skeleton watch as they are quite a bargain relative to their original prices.

As for Armin Strom, its a nice watch.  My concern with buying his pieces or that of other smaller less well known companies is that if you tire of the watch and you want to sell or trade it, you could lose a lot of $ and have trouble getting anyone to buy or take it in trade for a reasonable amount.  AP, VC, Patek, and other better known companies have a larger following and will generally retain more of their value.  I'm not suggesting those are the only brands to consider, nor am I saying Armin Strong doesn't make a good watch.  I'm simply playing devils advocate and suggesting if you are someone that trades or sells watches frequently you may be better off considering a more mainstream brand name. 

I always say I am going to flip watches, but in the end they just end up sitting in a drawer or being passed on to relatives, etc.

For example, I have been looking at dress watches for what feels like a year now, and still haven't found one that I like as much as this RL right now:

and so I keep going back and forth since the brand name is meaningless. Do I get a Lange 1815 or Richard Lange? Maybe a VC Patrimony or the Quai... Hell, maybe a JLC Chrono or Master Tourb. But realistically I just like the RL more, so I am sitting there deciding whether to pull the trigger on a watch that will probably be worth half what I paid for it, and one that I probably won't be able to find used ever since I can't imagine they are selling that well.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ If you like that RL, buy the new JLC Master Geo instead - more or less the same design but from a traditional manufacture.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads