• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, "a lot" might be an overstatement. What makes a significant difference though is that the lugs on the Orion are longer than on the Max Bill.

So I guess my main point was that it looks a lot more than one would think from the 1mm difference.

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For inexpensive modern type watches there are a lot of interesting choices:

Botta

Braun re-issues

Uniform Wares

I am not convinced of the quality of any of these, but for a relatively modern look, there are options out there.

mayborne

Reaction score
get the gold one with roman numerals. it kinda looks like a postmodern calatavra. pretty nice too for a grad gift. if not then omega speedmaster pro.

i think it was the ludwig...

Cylon

Reaction score
the ludwig?
wow.gif

It's a sign...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rollie with a suit :hide:

IMG00590-20120221-0900.jpg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always say I am going to flip watches, but in the end they just end up sitting in a drawer or being passed on to relatives, etc.
For example, I have been looking at dress watches for what feels like a year now, and still haven't found one that I like as much as this RL right now:

and so I keep going back and forth since the brand name is meaningless. Do I get a Lange 1815 or Richard Lange? Maybe a VC Patrimony or the Quai... Hell, maybe a JLC Chrono or Master Tourb. But realistically I just like the RL more, so I am sitting there deciding whether to pull the trigger on a watch that will probably be worth half what I paid for it, and one that I probably won't be able to find used ever since I can't imagine they are selling that well.

As for flipping watches, I always have a tough time doing that. I have a Rolex Explorer that I've rarely worn and I often contemplate selling it, and then I just dont get around to selling it.

I've seen the RL watches but they don't do anything for me. I just don't see much point in buying what is essentially a recased watch movement from JLC. But if you prefer the design to the JLC designs, then maybe its the right watch for you. I just find with all the subdials etc so close to the center of the watch it really becomes apparent that the movement was intended for a smaller case. As for Lange, the only design of theirs that I've ever really liked a lot is the Lange 1. Its design was so original when it was released and I find it as beautiful today as it was back in the early 90s. The 1815 and Richard Lange are nice, but I'm not sure there is anything unique about them that would push me to choose one of those over a PP, AP, or VC, JLC, Piaget or any other well made watch. My main reason for bring up brand names was simply raise the idea of resale if you sell/trade watches often. But if that doesn't matter go with the design and maker that really calls to you.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As for flipping watches, I always have a tough time doing that.  I have a Rolex Explorer that I've rarely worn and I often contemplate selling it, and then I just dont get around to selling it. 

I've seen the RL watches but they don't do anything for me.  I just don't see much point in buying what is essentially a recased watch movement from JLC.  But if you prefer the design to the JLC designs, then maybe its the right watch for you.  I just find with all the subdials etc so close to the center of the watch it really becomes apparent that the movement was intended for a smaller case.  As for Lange, the only design of theirs that I've ever really liked a lot is the Lange 1.  Its design was so original when it was released and I find it as beautiful today as it was back in the early 90s.  The 1815 and Richard Lange are nice, but I'm not sure there is anything unique about them that would push me to choose one of those over a PP, AP, or VC, JLC, Piaget or any other well made watch.  My main reason for bring up brand names was simply raise the idea of resale if you sell/trade watches often.  But if that doesn't matter go with the design and maker that really calls to you. 

Good luck and let us know what you decide. 

I generally don't like APs very much (especially ROs).

What I find appealing about the RLs is the mix of Roman numerals and somewhat sporty style. The JLCs have a relatively sporty bezel (like a Calatrava 5296 for example) and the pointed hour markers keep it fresh. The Langes are pretty elegant and the 1815/Richard Langes, in their simpler versions are nice and formal, but I could probably get a Dornblueth knock-off of the 1815 for a bit cheaper.

If I could get a Calatrava 5296 with a 5117 roman numeral face, I think I would be pretty happy.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:drool: wow would that be nice to have. THAT is watch Appreciation.

Can someone explain to me the appeal of these watches? I guess they are really well made by a small company, and I understand that kind of appeal, but the dial just seems cluttered, the font very large and... dare I say... ugly?

they are exceptionally well made in small quantities, and the entire process from concept to finished watch is done in house iirc. the design i find to be exceedingly pleasant and classy. but hey, different strokes i guess.

Hard to explain. I think the FP J are beautiful - dial, case, movement, crown(s). If you don't like them, good for you, that's some more $xx k watches you don't need to lust for... The Resonance is high on my list if I ever buy a watch at that price point.

also this.

Rollie with a suit :hide:
IMG00590-20120221-0900.jpg

looks A ok to me, im sure spoo would say the same lol.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

get the gold one with roman numerals. it kinda looks like a postmodern calatavra. pretty nice too for a grad gift. if not then omega speedmaster pro.
i think it was the ludwig...

The speedmaster is a wholly different type of watch... why would you even suggest that?

the ludwig? :wow:

It's a sign...

Haha, it indeed looks like a sign. Still think Wittgenstein would have liked the Orion better (but maybe in white).

Cylon

Reaction score
I do vaguely recall something about his furniture in Cambridge..but I doubt I would have been able to recall that fact if asked. Thanks for the lesson!
smile.gif

Other options to consider (re: German minimalism): stowa (et al) flieger (with or without branding), Glashutte Senator Automatic (dial markers or for a little spice, roman numerals), or Dornbluth--all worth looking into but NOMOS is a really good choice too. Not looking to dissuade you from your original choice--just rounding things out

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More FP Journe Appreciation - they would be at the top of my list, but I have heard they are a bit finicky and spend a lot of time in maintenance, and since I don't buy things I can't afford to use, I would be annoyed to have it in the shop a lot (I would stick snow tires and chains on a Ferrari if I had one...)

Octa Automatic Lune

Octa Calendar

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ love the Octa Lune too... nice. I'm still on the fence about the Calendar.

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:drool:

fp-journe-chronometer-a-resonance-1.jpg

market_image.2461818.jpg

DSC_0009.JPG
OB-PU769_watche_DV_20110925161101.jpg

Last edited:

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ Meh - I admire the technical aspects of the watch, but none of the FPJ designs are to my liking
peepwall[1].gif

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More FP Journe Appreciation - they would be at the top of my list, but I have heard they are a bit finicky and spend a lot of time in maintenance, and since I don't buy things I can't afford to use, I would be annoyed to have it in the shop a lot (I would stick snow tires and chains on a Ferrari if I had one...)
Octa Automatic Lune

Octa Calendar

I love the Octa Atuomatic Lune. Its one of my favorite designs from Journe. I generally find his more complicated pieces too busy and not as attractive. The Octa Calendar doesn't do anything for me. But I've never seriously considerd buying anything from Journe because their reputation for problems and spending time in the repair shop would make it a headache to own instead of enjoyable. I was at a dinner for watch collectors and 2 people that owned Journes joked saying they are like Jaguars of the 1960s/70s...you have to buy 2 to really wear one. One that you intend to wear and another as spare for when the first is being repaired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads