• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poindexter

Reaction score

^ how big is the dial on that IWC? Is that a 45? I saw one a few weeks back and just thought "damn, they're growing!" seems like they keep getting bigger and bigger... maybe I need to get fatter and fatter! :lol: it's certainly nice looking tho'!

Whut he sed. The thing looks like it's two inches across. Maybe I could wear it on my bicep or thigh or something. Fashion forward.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WarrenG: The submariner is a beautiful, classic watch. Period. While I prefer the slimmer lugs on the 5513 or the 14060 and no date (to me it maintains a sense of symmetry), I think it all depends on the size of your wrist. I have smaller wrists and like to have a slim profile watch that fits under the cuff of my shirt. To each his own though. Congrats to you on your new purchase!!

Thanks man. While I really dig the vintage Submariner. I also really love the new Submariner. It's going be the perfect daily wearer for me.

I'd go vintage, but I'm saving that moment for a clean example :

1675 Gilt with DOMED Tropic 38 crystal
6541 Milgauss ...I can dream right? :foo:

6196266753_9358a90b93_b.jpg

266c1547.jpg

6541lum02.jpg

heh 1019 is a lot more affordable then the 6541 :

1131927116036-1677.jpg

Last edited:

Tim_Whatley

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the IWC mark XVII yet? I know a lot of people preferred the XV over the XVI, but the XVII is by far the worst.

Cylon

Reaction score
Last edited:

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i walked into a shop in burlington arcade to try on a beautiful vintage milgauss, similar to the one you posted in the first pic. price turned out to be 80 grand. pounds, not dollars. had to reverse out of there quickly :embar:

Last edited:

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As stated in previous post several weeks ago, I'm looking for a new watch that I can easily wear with a suit or jeans. I indicated that my budget was $7K and I did not want an Omega or Rolex. I did not want an Omega because I have a 1959 Seamaster and 1969 De Ville and Rolex because my boss has a new Submariner and the people I work with, Economists, don't value such items. They actually give me a hard time about spending $100 for a Sam Hober tie.

During my research, I have noticed that the best bang for your buck with regards to price, performance and resale value is Rolex. I pretty much had my mind set on buying an IWC but the only watches in my price range are the Pilots which uses an IWC-modified Valjoux Calibre 7750 and the resale value would not be that great. I was willing to increase my budget to afford a Portugese Automatic 7-Day but decided that I have other uses for $10K.

I have decided that a gently used Rolex is my best bet regarding price and resell value. I really like my watch to be 42mm or less, blue or black dial with arabic numbers all stainless steel. I really like the size and simplicity of the Explorer 1 and Oyster Perpetual with blue dial and I'm sure I will eventually buy a Submariner or 1977 GMT Master. How do you not?

The only place that I have found gently used Rolexes is Tourneau, anyone know if their prices are in-line with other dealers? I like the fact that they are certified pre-owned with a warranty and offer a service plan. Other suggestions and comments are welcome, thanks.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey CB:

Just a few things. First, I am not even going to attempt to help you out on the whole Rolex question. I know jack all about Rolex's, so I will leave that for other people :).

However, I was just wondering if there were any other watch brands you might consider in that $5,000-$7,000 range? I feel like you have a lot of options in that price range, whether it be Grand Seiko, Glasshute Original, Jaeger LeCoultre, Ulysse Nardin, Rolex, Omega (I know you are not all too interested), and some others I am sure I am missing. What kind of watch are you looking for? A dress diver, or something of that ilk? Chronograph?

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Newcomer,

Yes, I'm willing to consider all brands in this price range...except the Grand Seiko. Can't get past the mental block of paying that much for a Japanese watch.

I don't know much about Ulysse Nardin but I have seen some gorgeous Glasshute Original and JLC's pictured on this thread. I believe you have several?

I don't really want a diver...a double chronograph with black face and date would be perfect if it I could find one smaller than 44mm. I want something very elegant and timeless.

I really like these:

1) GO: Sixties Square Chronograph with black face and Seventies Panorama date with grey dial;
2) JLC: Master Chronograph but have only seen them with a silver dial.

How well do GO's and JLC's hold their value?

I failed to mention that I want a watch I can wear everyday.

I love these but I'm sure its out of my price range.

Master Control Chronograph (ref. 1538420)

I have no idea what model this is but it would be perfect!!

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok now in all seriousness...

Regarding Dino944's watches: The Cartier is absolutely beautiful. I am in love with the open caseback. A new one was released at SIHH, do you know the differences between the two? The VC is also beautiful, and the caseback again is striking. Not sure if I like the corners on the case of the VC(for myself), but nevertheless they do not take away from the overall beauty of the watch.
Hi Cylon,

Thanks for the kind words about my CPCP Tank XL. So far I have only heard a little about the new one released at SIHH. It will be slightly larger, the movement is the same, but I'm not sure it will have an exhibition back. So far photos also don't show any guilloche on the dial, although maybe the photos aren't so good yet. Also, I don't think its production will be as limited as the Collection Privee pieces were. A friend who moderates a watch forum, collects Cartier, and who was at SIHH last week told me the new Tank is nice but not quite as nice as the old Privee version (like mine).

As for the VC, its a modern version of a design VC did in the 1930s, but larger. Although the lugs might not be your taste, its actually famous for those lugs and its probably a watch thats better appreciated in person. When you see the watch in person, the lugs make it wear larger and they add to the "stepped" theme of the case and dial. It goes upward from the lugs, to the case, the the crystal, then back downward into the dial where there are outlines are around the hour markers and then the subdial for seconds is sunken inward. Its the type of watch that the more you wear it the more you notice small details that add to how well thought out the design is, and how much work went into its execution. Still, no watch can be everything to everyone so I can understand if the design just doesn't appeal to you, but its a design I really love.

I have one other dress watch and its a VC, but I'll have to post it when I have more time.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Newcomer,
Yes, I'm willing to consider all brands in this price range...except the Grand Seiko. Can't get past the mental block of paying that much for a Japanese watch.
I don't know much about Ulysse Nardin but I have seen some gorgeous Glasshute Original and JLC's pictured on this thread. I believe you have several?
I don't really want a diver...a double chronograph with black face and date would be perfect if it I could find one smaller than 44mm. I want something very elegant and timeless.
I really like these:
1) GO: Sixties Square Chronograph with black face and Seventies Panorama date with grey dial;
2) JLC: Master Chronograph but have only seen them with a silver dial.
How well do GO's and JLC's hold their value?
I failed to mention that I want a watch I can wear everyday.
I love these but I'm sure its out of my price range.

Master Control Chronograph (ref. 1538420)

I have no idea what model this is but it would be perfect!!

Some very nice choices. I really like that JLC Master Control Chronograph, thats a beauty! Obviously, you have to buy a brand and watch that you are happy with, both interms of functions and what appeals to you. You have some good possible choices in the $5-7,000 range. I can tell you if you tire of watches quickly and like to trade them, stay away from GO and JLC. As nice as they are a friend of mine has a limited edition JLC Master Antoine 8 day reserve, 1 of 200 made in platinum. When he wanted to trade/sell it to buy something else, one place told him they weren't interested in what they called "off brands" like JLC, GO, UN etc. They really focus on buying Patek, Lange, Rolex as they said there is a distinct and strong used market for these brand, while JLC, GO, UN and others you have to wait and hope to find the right buyer. It was a learning lesson for him. In the end it worked out since he decided to keep his JLC, but its quite an eye opener when a place says there isn't much of a used market for fine watches like JLC. It doesn't mean there isn't a used market for them, just that its much smaller and with a smaller audience you might not get as much of your money out of a watch or it might take longer to do so. On the other hand discounts have always been greater on watches like JLC's than Rolex so that might be something to consider.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try buying used, and make sure you really like it. Like Dino said, they're a ***** to sell or trade even on TZ/purist. I really like that MC chronograph, couple right now listed for 6200ish on TZ.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I could find the first and third watch, I doubt very seriously that I would get rid of them. Unfortunately, I have no idea the model or reference number. In my research, I have found that there is great value in buying Rolex because they retain their value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads