1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

is that the strap with the back piece sewn on? or is it the kind that you run through the loops? (does that make any sense??)

wow. fantastic

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

As long as you are happy with it thats what matters. As for it being worn by Stefano Bemer, its nice if that matters to you. Someone else buying or wearing something is rarely a selling point to me.

Looks great! A very classic looking Rolex. I just sold mine, as it hadn't gotten much wrist time in recent years, so it took a bit of the sting out of the price of my last watch purchase. Still when I see photos of the Ex1 I can't help but think what a great looking watch!

As someone that owned the last version of the 36mm Explorer 1, to be honest I don't care for the new 39mm model. To me the dial with the solid white gold numerals looks clumsy and I just don't think the size is an improvement for that model. If someone really needs a time only model at roughly 30-40 mm they could always go with the Milgauss.

As for the new Sub, I don't mind the squared shoulders (same as on the current GMTs). I'll admit its a little bulkier looking but I don't think its too bad. I own a last generation Sub date that I like a lot and I wouldn't mind owning a new Sub. I wouldn't sell the Sub I own to get one, but its still a good looking watch. Personally, I'm not pleased with the Deep Sea Sea Dweller, and my feelings about the new Ex2 are mixed. Both would have benefitted from a slightly wider bracelet. The Ex2 isn't quite as bad since its lugs taper a bit, but both look a bit too large for the bracelet they are on. Its as the Rolex said, he we spent all this money on the case and some other changes, but they ran out of money once they reached the bracelet so they gave people the same bracelet that is on the smaller Sub and GMT. To me, the bracelets for the Deep Sea and Ex2 are not really properly proportioned for the watches they are holding.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  3. gazman70k

gazman70k Senior member

Beijing | Hong Kong | Manila | Shanghai | Singapor

The back leather is sewn on, making it near impossible to put on a 183.

He is wearing my watch. :)

As for what you buy, its your own perogative. But if in house movement is your thing, here's something you may appreciate.

[​IMG]

4. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

^ that is nice, very nice.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Very nice! Thank you for sharing the photo.

Although, I should point out, I'm not someone who is only interested in watches with inhouse movements. If you look at your earlier post which I think is #13,287 and read the last 2 paragraphs of mine that you quoted...you will see my issue with Panerai has not been their use of outsourced movements, instead it has been with their choice of sources.

I actually have several brands of watches with base movements outsourced from companies such as F.Piguet, JLC, Piaget, and Zenith.

Oh, and thank you for clarifying that he was wearing your watch [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  6. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

7. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

my experience was like dinos below, i noticed a difference. maybe you didnt have your glasses on back then. or maybe your mind was altered. ;)

8. in stitches

SPILL THE BEANS, TITS!!!!

9. in stitches

gaz, your pica are always fantastic.

what is that watch in the second post quoted above?

10. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

11. sdolina

sdolina Senior member

Did you put your own Daytona on a stray dog? [​IMG]

12. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

If I had the $$ I would put a damn HUBLOT...

13. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

nah. maybe you just expect it to be different because you were told of rolex's magical 904L steel.

while it IS harder....theres not enough of a difference to make it a selling point. Like i stated ya dickbag...the biggest difference between 904L and 316L steel is the resistance to corrosion. The 904 is harder, but its far more corrosion resistant. In terms of metalurgy, thats the benefit. not its scratch resistance. is it harder? yep. would i pay a few grand more just because its a bit harder? nope. 316 is plenty hard enough and will last any human a lifetime.

id be just as happy withmy rolex if it were 316.

luvyabro.

14. in stitches

thanks, man. sadly, website is down. but ill dig around now that i know what to look for.

lol, i read about it after i had the watch for a while. i agree its not a selling point, but i did think it was nice. and we all know you pay more for harder.

luvyatoobro.

15. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

[​IMG]

:slayer:

1 person likes this.
  16. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

17. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

18. in stitches

excellent choice moo, enjoy it. great pic too.

19. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Nice Moo! Speedy Pro brothers :fistbump:

Did you go through the FAD? Or your local dealer?

20. flanker2000fr

flanker2000fr Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.