• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, that certainly does make sense. If you do sell a JLC or GO, I guess the market isn't stellar. The first and third watch are, I believe, the somewhat-recently discontinued Master Date. They pop up fairly often, reference number: Q147842A. And I just have one JLC, alas, but I feel fairly committed to them over many other brands. My next several purchases will probably also be JLCs, as I still would like a MUT Moon, Reverso, and MUT RDM. But that will be several years from now, easy! Getting a Chronograph in your price range will be incredibly tricky though, especially one that is not some Valjoux variation. I still do love that Portuguese Automatic, even if it is based on a modified Valjoux 7750. From what I have heard, IWC does a crazy amount of variation.

Personally, I don't really buy for value retention. Sure, I guess there is something nice about being able to sell your watch for the same or more than you paid for it, but I don't really care to think like that. I generally buy something with the intention of never selling it. I will think about some other ideas, and try to get back to you CB.

And please, Dino, I want to see that other VC! They make some incredibly gorgeous watches.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can't get past the mental block of paying that much for a Japanese watch.

Seiko Credor Eichi

By several people considered to be finished to a higher standard than Philippe Dufour's work... I'd buy one instantly if I found one for sale.

Let's put it this way - you can buy a watch to impress other people: buy a Rolex or Omega if you are surrounded by mostly middle-class aspirational types or a Patek or A. Lange if you are surrounded by bankers. Or you can buy a watch because you care about watches and the work that goes into them... And then there are a lot more possibilities (like GO or a bunch of independent makers).

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1968, one owner, all original down to the insert...finally got one.

Regards.
445d4278-815a-18c5.jpg
445d4278-8165-e613.jpg
445d4278-8172-9453.jpg
445d4278-817e-4ed3.jpg

Last edited:

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gdl203, Awesome thread as evidenced by the previous 9,999 posts.....this is the 10,000th one!

Last edited:

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats man, 1675 with faded Pepsi bezel is probably one of my favorite Rolex.

Edit : wow I missed out on the 10k post :D

Last edited:

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As stated in previous post several weeks ago, I'm looking for a new watch that I can easily wear with a suit or jeans. I indicated that my budget was $7K and I did not want an Omega or Rolex. I did not want an Omega because I have a 1959 Seamaster and 1969 De Ville and Rolex because my boss has a new Submariner and the people I work with, Economists, don't value such items. They actually give me a hard time about spending $100 for a Sam Hober tie.
During my research, I have noticed that the best bang for your buck with regards to price, performance and resale value is Rolex. I pretty much had my mind set on buying an IWC but the only watches in my price range are the Pilots which uses an IWC-modified Valjoux Calibre 7750 and the resale value would not be that great. I was willing to increase my budget to afford a Portugese Automatic 7-Day but decided that I have other uses for $10K.
I have decided that a gently used Rolex is my best bet regarding price and resell value. I really like my watch to be 42mm or less, blue or black dial with arabic numbers all stainless steel. I really like the size and simplicity of the Explorer 1 and Oyster Perpetual with blue dial and I'm sure I will eventually buy a Submariner or 1977 GMT Master. How do you not?
The only place that I have found gently used Rolexes is Tourneau, anyone know if their prices are in-line with other dealers? I like the fact that they are certified pre-owned with a warranty and offer a service plan. Other suggestions and comments are welcome, thanks.

Tourneau asks top dollar for their used watches. I've purchased two mint watches from the timezone sales corner. Both deals were totally drama free.

Have you tried on an older Exp1? It's a small watch. I'd suggest a no date sub as a reasonably priced preowned option. Most people will never notice that it's a Rolex, since it has no cyclops.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Personally, I don't really buy for value retention. Sure, I guess there is something nice about being able to sell your watch for the same or more than you paid for it, but I don't really care to think like that. I generally buy something with the intention of never selling it. I will think about some other ideas, and try to get back to you CB. And please, Dino, I want to see that other VC! They make some incredibly gorgeous watches.

Thanks for the JLC Master Date Reference No. I'm not buying with the intention of selling or trading either but it seems to be a recurring theme on the watch forums. It just gave me something else to think about.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the JLC Master Date Reference No. I'm not buying with the intention of selling or trading either but it seems to be a recurring theme on the watch forums. It just gave me something else to think about.

Yeah, I mean I definitely get it, but I think with such a large purchase it would be wise to go with your heart on this one. A watch is such a personal item! And for second hand definitely check out Timezone. I have not had anything but excellent experiences, and you can get some GREAT deals.

And in regards to the 10,000th post, I am really liking how this thread has quickly turned in to a discussion thread and a Appreciation thread. I like that there is more discourse on watches on this forum now.

kngspook

Reaction score
Similar to Cuttingboard, I'm also looking for a new watch, and in the under 7.5K range (preferably around 5K). This will be my first "real" watch, and probably the only watch I'm going to wear for a long time.

So I've been trying to decide based on the balance of several criteria, in rough order of priority.
  • Aesthetics, of course.
  • Versatility -- Since this will be my only watch for a while, I want to be able to wear it in a lot of different situations; the classics "suits to jeans".
  • Durability -- Of course I'd prefer that it doesn't break. But this also includes resistance to scratches, can it take a little splashing around (definition TBD...), can I pass it on to my (as yet unborn) kids?

But anyways, on to the fun stuff, the candidates:

IWC Portuguese Chronograph 3714

(Love the aesthetics, concerned about the durability.)

Rolex Submariner 14060M

(I like the aesthetics slightly less, but definitely wins on the durability, and slightly better on the versatility front, I think.)

The other idea is to just give up completely on the versatility front, and go for the dressier watch that will get less wear, and with that, the need for durability becomes less, and then get some really nice in that space (like a JLC Ultra Thin, Ultra Moon, or Master Chronograph).

Thoughts?

Arthur PE

Reaction score
no pics on this computer but I'll try to get some up
IWC 3706 on croc
IWC MK XV (the old style) white face on buffalo w/deployment
Omega Speedmaster Moony w/hesalite on steel band
Rolex Sub date 16110
Panerai 111H on a few, I like the rubber/deplyment and black croc w/buckle

Cylon

Reaction score
Lots of stuff going on, here are my thoughts:

1. Newcomer: I too enjoy the discussions we have here now. Just hope we don't get smacked down by gdl203 for straying from his original intent too much
lookaround.gif
Congrats on the 10k mark too!

2. Cuttingboard: I wouldn't get too hung up on the idea of resale value. It's one thing if you like a particular Rolex, but I don't think you should make a decision based solely on that factor (a good article on the subject: http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/buyersguide.shtml#resale). It does sound as if you want a piece for the long haul, and the master control series is an excellent choice. I do think the overall aesthetic of the master control series is "classy" whereas a chronograph strikes me as a sportier complication (more on this point below...)

3. kngspook: Both of those are excellent choices for versatile watches (I think the watch snob wrote about that and those are 2 of the 4 he mentioned). I can shed some light on the dress watch front as my first and only real watch is the MUT Moon 39, and I am in the market for a more versatile/sporty watch now (submariner, speedmaster pro, zenith el primero 38mm). I can't say I am upset with my decision though. Since it was a gift from my wife for our wedding I wanted something formal (thus anything sporty was out of the question, so was swapping/reselling it at a later date). It took me a year to settle upon it (enough time to let any fad choices pass through my system). I guess what I am trying to say is, take your time if you are looking to buy a piece you are going to keep for the rest of your life. I would avoid the chronograph in the master control series simply because there are many beautiful chronographs out there (ones with more history too), but there are very few reasonably priced, elegant dress watches as other master control watches (and I don't see myself buying two master control watches for my collection).

Last edited:

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no pics on this computer but I'll try to get some up
IWC 3706 on croc
IWC MK XV (the old style) white face on buffalo w/deployment
Omega Speedmaster Moony w/hesalite on steel band
Rolex Sub date 16110
Panerai 111H on a few, I like the rubber/deplyment and black croc w/buckle

Those are some very nice choices -

img3241pr.jpg

I like simple watches, but the Speedy and 3706 are probably my favourite chronographs - well done :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads