• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
knocked the bezel off my GMT. Lost the spring too. Luckily no dings on the watch or bezel.

Yikes!

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know there has been a lot of panerai talk in the last few days. Was talking to someone yesterday who has a few pieces and was saying I should consider the 372 or the 390 as my next piece as I told him I have the 111.

Would love to hear some thoughts

linstar

Reaction score
Update:

Will be traveling overseas to Japan this week and will be hopefully picking up a APRO. Still undecided between the 15202, 15450, or 15400 though I have narrowed the dial color down to black or blue unless only the 15450 fits. Worried that the 15400 and 15202 may be big on my 6.5'' wrists. Help me decide TWATers!

Last edited:

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Update:

Will be traveling overseas to Japan this week and will be hopefully picking up a APRO. Still undecided between the 15202, 15450, or 15400 though I have narrowed the dial color down to black or blue unless only the 15450 fits. Worried that the 15400 and 15202 may be big on my 6.5'' wrists. Help me decide TWATers!

15202. Duh :)

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Update:

15202 in rose gold

linstar

Reaction score
Hah. Would be my "one" watch so to speak so SS is a must. Leaning towards the 15202 but the premium is hard to swallow especially considering the lack of a quick set date, seconds hand, and smaller power reserve.

Novelty77

Reaction score
Pre-owned will give you far more options. I was thinking new which would allow for new Tank Solos, but if going pre-owned there are many more options, and in some cases the men's versions will have more interesting movements than simply ETAs. Cartiers unless you go with some of their higher end pieces (gold tend to have movements based on Piaget, JLC, F. Pigeut etc) most will have ETA movements. Nothing wrong with that, just you may prefer something more interesting. As for the measurement of the Tank XL, its around 38 in length. Its been a while and I don't have my reference materials handy at the moment. Still, I think you will find square and rectangular watches wear larger than round ones...so more average sized measurements will look larger on your wrist.

I would definitely go with a Reverso. Great movement, classic lines, historic design and a very cool watch. If you get models with solid backs, you can have initials or other things engraved by a master engraver such as JC Randell. He does some amazing work and someone here had an engraving done on a Reverso Ultra thin a while back and it looked amazing! You should check out his work. Wishing you luck!

Thanks for the suggestions Dino, really appreciate it. Took my wife out for try out some watches and you were right! square watches really does wear larger than round ones. We tried the 33mm santos on her, it looks alright given women these days like oversize watches but the problem lies with the strap. Because of the way the lug protrude, wearing the Santos at it's tightest causes undesirable gaps. We tried the 28mm tank fits perfect, I love the dial and all but like I mention before, she isn't too keen on bracelet. For her tiny wrist, I think a tang buckle would be more suited.

Finding a watch for her really pose a real challenge. She mentioned that she like a watch around the size between 28-33mm, somewhere in the middle would be perfect. Any more suggestions so I can look around in the preown market. Right now, my no. 1 option is to get the tank and search for a nice strap for her, but i'm afraid that the clasp might be a problem as well, does Cartier have tang buckle for the ladies tank right?.

Btw loving the PAMs talk here!

Novelty77

Reaction score

I think every watch lover will **** a lil when they see this msg after they send their watch for servicing. Hahaha!

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hah. Would be my "one" watch so to speak so SS is a must. Leaning towards the 15202 but the premium is hard to swallow especially considering the lack of a quick set date, seconds hand, and smaller power reserve.

Disregarding practical matters, my general view is:

15202 > (15300) > 15450 > 15400

Although quick-set date and power reserve are essentially irrelevant in a "one watch" situation, there are some practicalities to consider. An important one is that the 15202's ultra-thin cal. 2121 movement — though absolutely lovely — is mechanically unforgiving. I'd wear it carefully... much more so than other steel watches. It's also one of the few for which I'd stick to the manufacturer's recommended maintenance interval.

The 15400 is a large watch whose wide bracelet wears like an arm shackle on all but the widest wrists, which might not be optimal.

In your situation, the 37 mm 15450 is probably the best bet for frequent wear due to both its sizing and its more-robust 3020 movement. I checked one out earlier this year and thought its proportions were fantastic. It's a sweet watch that seems to be underappreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy