• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I admire how you suffer for your art, Frilly!

I also suggest your tailor makes the waist of your suits a touch less trim across the sternum.  Your Johnny Bravo physique is hard to tailor for, clearly, and although that pinching around your top button shows off your manly chest, it doesn't do your suit justice.  Which is more important, because this is Styleforum. :)

Also, just wanted to throw this in--the Frills pose does more for his physique than tailor. In person, Frills' suits are aggressive but actually very well fitting. There is no pull. It was one of those instances where real life fit really is not communicated well in pictures.

But I completely agree, we should not forget that we are always on SF. No cargo shorts in this thread!

*edit: but jeans and wearing loafers without socks are ALWAYS welcome*

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
his pose is clearly throwing off the real life fit of the suit.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh no, I actually like that pinching.  After all, it is largely because I am always somehow magically captured in mid-hip-thrust whenever someone takes pics of me.  

Suggestive?  Not at all.  

Perhaps preparing for the day when Kate finally meets me?  Absolutely.

:fistbump:  

LOL, suit looks great Frilly. Along the lines of those same objectives, have you considered slightly more open quarters? :)

Last edited:

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont loooove those particular models, dont move me. i dont hate them either, the first one was the best of teh bunch imho.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
BeteG,

My Oris, was the first auto I got. The Rose Gold really did it for me. I wear it on occasion where my others just won't do (High Secure Prisons and MH Wards) and it looks works for me in that I feel I got a better watch on but it don't scream at yer!.

Sorry for the crappy pic

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, cushion shaped watches with wire lugs. Seems these were less rare in the 20's and 30's, like this Omega:

Picture%204796.jpg

Does anyone currently produce something similar, besides Panerai's Radiomir models? Ideally not as vintage looking at that Omega, but smaller than the Radiomirs.

(Interestingly, when searching for this I learned that the cushion shaped first Panerais from 1936 weren't an original make up, but were using existing Rolex case designs.)

Last edited:

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone currently produce something similar, besides Panerai's Radiomir models? Ideally not as vintage looking at that Omega, but smaller than the Radiomirs.

The Nomos Lux Weissgold Hel?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm looking for more of a classic cushion case, like these:

longines_cushion_case_vintage_watch.jpg

steel%20cushion%20longines.jpg

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been away from TWAT for a bit but I was lurking in the shadows.

Over the wedding weekend I got some hands on time with my father-in-law's Rolex 2-tone Submariner which he bought in the 90s. Instead of the more modern ceramic bezel it has the old metal insert that has had some abuse. To add to the abuse some of the 18kt gold links have been dented, the bezel does not turn, and it is scratched to high heaven other than the sapphire crystal.
In its 20-year life it has not been serviced but I mentioned he should probably have it done since he mentioned it only keeps power for 24 hours after wear. He lives a couple blocks away from the Dallas headquarters so I joked about the watch never being far from home if service was done there.

It is interesting to see how people treat their watches given the cost of these things initially. In his case it was beat up being a father and travelling as his profession is not one conducive to watch abuse. Others treat their watches like treasures that are rarely worn and just sit in a safe. He also has an example of this in his YG Rolex Day-Date President which if I remember correctly has which has the proper fluted bezel and sticks with black face.

And my thought for the day, I am wearing my Hamilton Khaki today and the leather strap is worn in and just wraps my wrist to perfection. My GMT does not sit as comfortably as this watch. Do deployment/fold over clasps on leather feel as good as a buckle?

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BeteG,

My Oris, was the first auto I got. The Rose Gold really did it for me. I wear it on occasion where my others just won't do (High Secure Prisons and MH Wards) and it looks works for me in that I feel I got a better watch on but it don't scream at yer!.

Sorry for the crappy pic

Looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads