1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Are you speaking of the 372? I did a quick search and found a bunch of for sale ranging in price from $8,100 to $8,900. I didn't see any in the secondary market that were $13,000-$15,000

http://www.chrono24.com/en/panerai/luminor-1950-3-days-pam-372--id2246055.htm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PANERAI-PAM...SPECIAL-EDITION-47-mm-PAM-00372-/161491868028

Perhaps I am looking at the wrong piece?

2. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

3. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

No, not the 372. Checkout my new posts over the past couple of pages. PAM587.

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Thanks for clarifying that.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Thanks. I didn't realize you were getting a 587. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide to do with it, keep/sell. [​IMG]

6. mafoofan

It's a beautiful watch, but quite contrary to what one might believe, the Radiomir type cases often wear much larger than the Luminor ones. Without the crown guard of the latter, the former is all dial.

7. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Until they inevitably release another limited edition that's near-identical.

I say get out while the getting's good!

Of course, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong. :)

2 people like this.
  8. mafoofan

Panerai watches with "Marina Militare" dials have always been rare, and this one is a near perfect replication of one of the few original Panerai archetypes. I think it will easily be in the $15,000-$20,000 range within a year's time.

9. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

I stopped by a Govberg store. This particular AD does not carry AP, but they have other stores that do. I know a guy there and asked him to look into pricing for me on the 15300 and 15400, both pre-owned and new. Waiting to hear back.

While I was there I looked at a ton of Panerai's, the pieces in rose gold are amazing. Also tried on an MUT and MUT Moon, both in steel. The MUT or the moon, but in gold, would I think be my next watch, post RO. Fark I need so much more money.

10. in stitches

Reagrding Panerais size. Yes, they are big watches, no two ways about it. But, to argue that that makes it look ok on a small wrist is silly. They are supposed to look big, but they are not supposed to eat up your hand and devour it.

Ill never tell anyone not to wear a watch they love, but lets be honest about how it looks. They are some smaller watches I have tried on that I loved, but they looked like ladies watches on my wrist, so I had to pass. That was my personal decision, and I understand not everyone goes in that direction, but a watch that is too small or too large for the wrist of the wearer, will always look wrong in my opinion.

Here are some pics of Panerais, that while they may be large watches, do not look in the least to be wearing the owner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  11. mafoofan

Stitch, both those watches (44 and 42mm) are significantly smaller than the 1950 Luminor or 1940 Radiomir cases (both 47mm). I have not seen a wrist on which the 47mm cases don't look big. They replicate the dimensions of the original watches (and hence, in my book, are the only Panerai watches to collect in the long term), which were worn over wet suits. If you have a wrist on which such a watch doesn't look noticeably big, you have monstrously huge wrists.

Take a look at the 44mm base Luminor you posted. The lugs are already near the point of overhanging. Now mentally add three millimeters more in dial diameter.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  12. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Why aren't you investing in sneakers? The new Nike What the Lebron? appreciated something like 200% on its first day post-release, and that was considered a poor performance.

13. mafoofan

How many of those would I have to buy for a $5,000-10,000 return?

14. in stitches

Now you are just making me want to try a 47mm Panny to see what it looks like. What, you think you can get me to buy your new watch and let you laugh all the way to the bank? Is that the game you are playing at you sly fox?

1 person likes this.
  15. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you can get a popular size, like 11s, three or four pairs. Maybe five. The current What the Lebrons? haven't done as well as prior versions since Nike released the run size this time. In the past, two pairs would have done it.

16. Tried and True

This guy could pull off those monster watches.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. mafoofan

Ha, I'll cut you a deal. The Styleforum Courtesy Discount.

My opinion is that if you want a discreet, "normal" looking watch, Panerai makes no sense in the first place. It is a big honking watch, and designed to be that way from the beginning. Trying to tame and compromise it ruins the concept for me.

Easier to attain just one 587 (though, not easy). Plus, I know the watch market, not the one for sneakers.

1 person likes this.
  18. pmeis

pmeis Senior member

Went to a Glashutte Original event at the Chicago Torbillion store last night. It was to celebrate the new Chronographs. I got the invite last week when I went in to check out the Senator Seventies (the number one watch on my list and what I'll buy when I sell my hand date).

Nice event, not too crowded and some good people from GO in attendance. The new Seventies Chrono looks awesome and I'm not usually one for chronographs. Though the increase in thickness from the standard model puts it out of my mind. didn't really take any pictures other than one exhibit of their chronograph history. Did get a nice goody bag feautring some Swiss chocolate, a catalog and most importantly a cool GO polishing cloth with a loupe! Did not have my own loupe, so that made me pretty happy.

Of course, I'm still obsessed with the Seventies...need to make it happen soon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Tried and True

So you'd been living a loupe-less life? Hard to imagine..........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.