1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well thank God for that. I was getting worried about my live-kitten sushi dinners.

2 people like this.
  2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Yum. Sounds a bit like the three squeals fetal pig appetizers.

3. jet

jet Senior member

any foo update?

4. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

What are people's thoughts on this piece or its black face sib (not my pic)?

[​IMG]

5. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

This is interesting. Skeleton style lugs, two metal tones, and something weird going on at 3 and 9 but the dial and placement of the crown draw me in. As with other DB watches, this on probably cost a pretty penny and I would look elsewhere in that range. I could give this watch some thought in SS and <$5,000 but this is no where near that price.

6. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

There is something disquieting about this piece.

7. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

8. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Absolutely love the dial as I've got a huge soft spot for the old piepan Connies, but really hate the case. I've never liked the modern Constellation case, as the "claws" at the sides and the closed lugs just don't appeal to me at all.

This would look so, so much better with a more traditional case but then I guess that you might as well pick up a vintage piepan Connie instead.

9. academe

academe Senior member

10. mimo

mimo Senior member

This watch is making me re-think every truth I had held certain. There are so many things I want more than a Panerai. And so many reasons why this should be a silly watch. But I want it, badly.

Very good value! I wouldn't say that criticising excess is always parsimonious: morality is a very personal thing, and I get why people express distaste for what looks like profligate vanity. But you're totally right that such an argument is hard to sustain for most people: everyone buys things they don't need, and for all kinds of reasons. Where to draw the line, if at all, will always be subjective - especially when we stray into the realms of art, and its inherent value or otherwise. Maybe wearing a Tag Heuer to impress your friends is a douchebag move. Maybe spending ten times that on a platinum Lange out of admiration for its craftsmanship, isn't. And maybe it's OK to really like a Tag Heuer, too. Legislating the whims of man is a futile endeavour.

Nice,.and:
    They are certainly more hard to find. But if you did want to take a leap of faith, I can still get 45-50% off what remains at my local AD (I've mentioned this before; there just isn't sufficient brand awareness in this small market to sell Moser, especially as they carry it next to AP, PP, Lange, JLC and others). The palladium and white gold Mayus have gone (my doing!), but I think there's a yellow gold one, a pink gold Monard, red and white gold Henrys, and a pink gold Perpetual Moon. PM me if you want!

I think the GO Senators are pretty much all good-looking pieces. My only issue is the depreciation: if I were to ever buy a GO, it would have to be used mint or grey market for a suitably deep discount. In those circumstances, though, I'd be delighted to own one.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  11. mimo

mimo Senior member

Blue checks, alligator and plastic.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  12. academe

academe Senior member

I know, right? I've admired Panerais but never really desired them until I saw the 512 1940 Radiomir... And then I read the reviews for the new 572 following Watches and Wonders.

Here's the more svelte 42mm 512:

[​IMG]

It has quite a lovely (though "industrially finished") hand wound movement:

[​IMG]

Case detailing:

[​IMG]

13. mimo

mimo Senior member

Yes, I've seen one of these in the local AD, and the 514 too. I really like that 1940 case a lot. But that 572 is special - the dial layout works better for me, and there's something stupidly pleasing about a micro rotor. What children we are...

1 person likes this.
  14. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

I like the idea of a 42mm Pammy, but the sub seconds placement on that 512 is bugging me - if they want to move it in towards the center, keep the 9 as on the 572, else move it out to the side to balance the 3, or better yet, just skip it.

2 people like this.
  15. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

16. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Love it.

This.

---

Yo alpyigit, pics of movement?

17. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

So . . . I mentioned that this weekend, I saw a friend (really, a cousin by marriage, who was visiting) who had the special edition pie-pan Constellation. He also gave me an issue of WatchTime, the giant Rolex Cellini catalog and Blancpain's "magazine" which is a weird combination of in-depth articles about some of their more exotic complications and manufacturing techniques and lifestyle p0rn. The new Cellini time model looks great. I don't love the additional complications they added to extend the line, though the GMT would make sense to some. The Prince is both technically beautiful in terms of execution and also hideous, which is sad. WatchTime is really fun, though I haven't finished reading it. I can see how much people can enjoy this hobby. Who here is a regular reader?

18. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

I read WatchTime like I read Playboy in my youth......ogling the pictures.

1 person likes this.
  19. WSW

WSW Senior member

I read it for the articles, of course. :smarmy:

They actually ran a very nice special a few months back for their e-version. $10 for a year's subscription.

20. mimo

mimo Senior member

WatchTime or Playboy?

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.