• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the problem is she is dead set on the AP bracelet, and her wrist is much smaller than mine, so sharing is not really practical. I even tossed out the idea of a Daytona, but nope, she just has her heart set on AP. I considered giving her mine and getting something else but there's nothing I like in this price range as much as the 15400, not even close.

Was it the Borg that said "resistance is futile"?

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice little off shoot here. While not looking to deflect from it how does the 'better half's' watch, regardless of compatibility, shape up to yours?

She da poor relation?

Well, prior to my two very recent acquisitions, she has had the nicest watch in the house for about the last 5 years (SS 36 mm DJ, white dial romans with WG fluted bezel on jubilee bracelet). I had sold my Daytona around 2007, and was primarily wearing my SS Sub daily and my PAM 112 on weekends. I didn't think that a new watch (or 2) would draw that much attention or envy but apparently she has developed a new passion for watches. LOL

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Question for you guys. Would it be completely ridiculous for your wife to have/wear the exact same watch as you? I'm not talking about his and hers Datejusts like what Cleav posted (which I think is a lovely concept), but literally 2 identical men's size watches.

i fail to see any problem with this idea whatsoever.

Don't have any personal wrist shots of it stitchy, but having tried it on a few times, I'm not worried at all about the size of this piece relative to my wrist. It pretty much fits me like a modestly-sized, slim dress watch should.

well if size is good, and you are cool with quartz, why not?

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No problem at all, TC. I'm glad your wife has gotten the bug. You guys can continue to enable each other, which is good for future postings on TWAT :slayer:

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taking the moonphase a step further:

This stunningly rare device has a price tag of $245,000 with semiprecious stones representing Mercury (serpentine), Venus (chloromelanite), Earth (turquoise), Mars (red jasper), Jupiter (blue agate), and Saturn (sugilite). All of the stones rotate separately and at the same pace as the actual planets. In 88 days, Mercury will make a full lap around the face of the watch, while Venus requires 224 days and Earth takes a full year.

A shooting star indicates the hours and minutes and a "lucky day" feature allows owners to select a specific day of the year when the Earth will fall underneath the paint star on the face of the watch.

From here, with video.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my wife doesn't have a single watch. she does, however, wear stuff on her wrist that are equivalent in price, or more, to the stuff i wear. so she can't complain :happy:

Last edited:

aol910

Reaction score

Longines make some fine watches. The wife wants one, so I'll show that one off here as soon as it's on her wrist.
interesting to see talk about longines watches here recently...been thinking about the longines hydroconquest....

So far it's the one dive watch I can find that's between 38 and 40mm and doesn't cost too much more than $1000... Any suggestions on similarly priced dive watches that are just about 40mm?...I think I could manage going up to 42mm but definitely not bigger

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Beautiful watch. But I would not buy a luxury gold watch with a quartz movement. Ever. But that's me and how I choose to spend my money.

This.

I'd rather have the Longines with the column wheel modified 7750 than the one Betelgeus posted with the modular movement. I have had problems with 2 out of three modular chronograph movements I have owned (1 GP, 1 Longines).

Mimo - the watch you posted is one I would be happy to own - and have been tempted by in the past.

Roger, explain! I love the look on the watch but would not like to get in troubl with it.
frown.gif

marvin100

Reaction score
My wife wears a men's Aquatimer Chrono on a bracelet. It looks awesome on her and she really enjoys wearing it. She also received many compliments, and as we go out around town it's clear that men's sized watches are quite popular among the ladies of Seoul.

ncc1701d

Reaction score
Taking the moonphase a step further:

This stunningly rare device has a price tag of $245,000 with semiprecious stones representing Mercury (serpentine), Venus (chloromelanite), Earth (turquoise), Mars (red jasper), Jupiter (blue agate), and Saturn (sugilite). All of the stones rotate separately and at the same pace as the actual planets. In 88 days, Mercury will make a full lap around the face of the watch, while Venus requires 224 days and Earth takes a full year.

A shooting star indicates the hours and minutes and a "lucky day" feature allows owners to select a specific day of the year when the Earth will fall underneath the paint star on the face of the watch.

From here, with video.
I think this is awesome

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I took off my 3970P and guess what? One of the pusher caps got unscrewed and was gone. Hahaha! What is this low quality shoddy work from this watchmaker anyway?!?

u9abaguz.jpg

Seriously speaking - I actually laughed it off and will take it to Patek tomorrow, easy replacement. I feel fortunate that I reacted this way: truth be told, you can talk a tough game but once something happens to a beloved possession then let's see how you'll react. But I chuckled and shrugged it off (though it caused considerable distress to my friend who spotted it haha). At least I know my possessions haven't possessed me yet. Sure, these are valuable timepieces and beloved works of art, but I always endeavor not to let the experience of owning something end up being bringing more stress and anxiety. That ain't cool.

Will report on the repair experience tomorrow.

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads