1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Always asking the right questions Mimo!

1 person likes this.
  2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi Dopey, there were quartz and automatic models. The automatic version I saw years ago, dating from maybe the late 1980s/early 1990s uses a basic ETA as a base. It was a much slimmer watch and bracelet than what they have been in recent years. Although, the movements in the old ones were nothing exciting, they were a good solid, every occasion type of watch (other than for say really dressy occasions). Also, you could by one in all steel for well under $1,000. I'm not sure they were very waterproof but overall they represented a very good value.

While I do think the dials on the new ones are a nice tribute to the old pie pan Connies, I don't like the cases or bracelets of the current models. Obviously, brands must update their models to stay relevant. I just don't think the heft added to the cases and bracelets really added to this design, and it seemed the "Claws" got much larger and received perhaps too much emphasis in recent years. This recent model the claws seem a bit more subdued.

If I were really interested in a Connie, I'd buy one from the 1950s/60s or maybe even a basic steel model with flat bezel from the late 80s early 90s (I've never really loved the rounded bezel).

I love the tobacco color dial, but at that price range...I'm looking at other brands. Also, the few PAMs I've tried never seemed that comfortable on my wrist (but that's very subjective).

3. mimo

mimo Senior member

Calling number 587....

[​IMG]

4. academe

academe Senior member

Yes but with a limited run of 1000 means that you'll be lucky if you're able to get one!

5. academe

academe Senior member

I agree with others that the dial layout for the 572 is that tad bit more balanced than the 512. That said, when I tried the 512 on my wrist, the 42mm fit pretty well on my less than enormous (6.75") wrists, and looked nice and proportionate. I'd have to try on the 572 to be sure if it looked as good on, dial balance aside.

...but that micro-rotor! I'm a sucker for them. I like them on the Parmigiani Tonda 1950, the Piaget Altiplanos, the Langematik and Patek calibre 240. Subtle details make all the difference.

6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

I really need to re-subscribe to Watch Time. I love that publication.

If no micro-rotor, no dice.

7. mimo

mimo Senior member

Yep. I'd take the small seconds and the micro-rotor too. Tradition be damned. Pretty is pretty.

What's lucky as that Panerai make a new limited edition every five minutes, so they all show up now and again. There's one on Chrono24 at the moment. $11k or something - about the price of the 572. 572 still wins. :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    2 people like this.
  8. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's why I have several :)

9. mimo

mimo Senior member

Hmm.

A Fedex tracking number.

10. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

. . . :)

11. academe

academe Senior member

Tell me that's not the next PAM you're adding to your collection?!

12. mimo

mimo Senior member

Alas, it is not going to be mine.

13. mafoofan

How much do you think this thing will go for on the secondary market? I'm seeing initial prices at around $15,000 but don't know if anyone is actually willing to take the bite at that level.

14. mimo

mimo Senior member

Scroll up! 11k on Chrono24 right now.

15. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

2 people like this.
  16. no frills

no frills Senior member

17. academe

academe Senior member

That's a beauty. I like the bi-compax layout very much, and case shape is very elegant.

18. mafoofan

I see it for 13.5K USD, from Malaysia.

19. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi Belligero, thanks for the nod in my direction. Yes, Cartier Tortue Monopoussoir (single pusher) Chronograph is a magnificent and under appreciated watch. Its one of the few pieces that even a few of my "Brand snob" friends who are generally only interested in the Big Three have each said they want or will acquire, as its aesthetically an impressive piece and its movement is phenomenal. If I found the right one in an XL case, I would be very tempted to add that to my small collection. Its definitely a cool watch, its based on some rare pieces they made in the 1920s/30's. It is alsp something none of us will see again at this price range (be it from Cartier, or any other big name high end watch brand).

The other watch that I've mentioned in the past to people, is the VC Historique Chronograph. It uses the same base Lemania movement that was in the Patek 5070. Patek modified the movement more significantly, and when VC was selling their watch at $17,000 (before a discount) in YG, Patek was selling their YG 5070 for $28,800 with little to no discount. It was a bargain then and its a bargain now compared to the price of a 5070. VC seeing how well Patek was eventually selling their 5070s, eventually discontinued the Historique Chrono, and replaced it with the larger 42mm cased Malta Chronograph (not as attractive) but with the intro of the new chrono came a new MSRP of around $33,000.

There are lots of great discontinued pieces out there for discerning collectors. [​IMG]

20. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.