The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fuji

fuji Senior member

That is a beautiful breitling.

2. KBW

KBW Senior member

here is a quick pic of my old lum-tec at lunch (horrible picture as I took it really quick and with my iPhone) [​IMG]

3. BeauDiddley

BeauDiddley Member

My Vertex pocket watch from Asprey Jewellers of London - something a little bit dfferent.
    Beau
    [​IMG]

4. NOLA1

NOLA1 Senior member

My new Sinn 556. The crappy camera doesn't do the dial justice. It looks like glossy black liquid. I'm going to try it on a brown leather or burgundy cordovan strap.

[​IMG]

5. KBW

KBW Senior member

^wow ... how does one acquire one?

If you are talking about my lum-tec just go to lum-tec.com

You can get any of the watches custom from him. He'll add lume, change the color of it, put on a phantom crystal, etc.

6. iroh

iroh Senior member

My 104:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

You'll notice there are some scuffs in this set - these have now been polished out:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

looks nice, but it might be more comfortable on your right wrist. doesn't the crown bulge dig into your hand?

7. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

^ its supposed to be worn on the left, as right-hand wristwatch wearers have the destro series made for them. though I think he's wearing it a bit tad loose there.

8. iroh

iroh Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got it today! Nato strap is temporary, bidded on this watchadoo lumpy bracelet for it:

[​IMG]

beautiful watch!

9. KBW

KBW Senior member

There's not a watch in the world with as much contrast as my new phantom m1. It has a completely polished case and 24mm bracelet yet has a phantom (tinted) crystal and black face. I use it to check my teeth after eating [​IMG] . I know this is a horrible pic but my new camera is in route [​IMG]

10. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

Watch Noob Question: For automatic watches which have a winding feature but no power meter, is there any way to know when it is fully wound?

11. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

12. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

There's not a watch in the world with as much contrast as my new phantom m1. It has a completely polished case and 24mm bracelet yet has a phantom (tinted) crystal and black face.
    That is rather nice ... My only thing is the date placement. Id like to see more pictures

13. fuji

fuji Senior member

Watch Noob Question: For automatic watches which have a winding feature but no power meter, is there any way to know when it is fully wound?

With my rolex, the part that i turn to wind it can't be turned anymore when it is fully wound.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

no, not really

Actually there is. Automatic watches have an overwind protection mechanism that lets the wheel slip through a ratchet when the main barrel is fully wound. If you listen very carefully, you'll hear a different clicking sound when you turn the crown after the watch is fully wound. It's rather faint but once you hear it once, you'll know what I mean

15. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

Actually there is. Automatic watches have an overwind protection mechanism that lets the wheel slip through a ratchet when the main barrel is fully wound. If you listen very carefully, you'll hear a different clicking sound when you turn the crown after the watch is fully wound. It's rather faint but once you hear it once, you'll know what I mean

Roughly, how quickly does an average watch get to the fully wound point? If I turn the knob about 20 times, is it likely to be fully wound? 40 times?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.