1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

For Scott:

Daily I admire
    Myriad wonders on TWAT
    Fight the urge to buy!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013

2. dlm4114

dlm4114 Senior Member

Re: product placement, iirc JLC is Tony Stark's watch of choice, at least in the first movie. They even got the name in the script

3. culverwood

culverwood Distinguished Member

Is Thor a Leonberger?

Here is Jabba
    [​IMG]
    Named after Jabba Jahda Ah Der Ahd,

4. jbarwick

jbarwick Distinguished Member

Those Seiko orange monsters really catch the eye. I like the bezel. My device doesn't want to upload dog pics for some reason....

5. dddrees

dddrees Distinguished Member

Very nice.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i need an ultra slim dress watch. :(

7. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

8. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

The more I read this thread, the more meaningless my definition of "need" becomes...

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

oh, for the past 20 odd years i have been using need for want. that should clear things up for you.

10. zippyh

zippyh Distinguished Member

Using "need for want" was what built SF.

11. no frills

no frills Distinguished Member

Pics didn't quite capture the extent of scratching, but yeah, I believe ya with your wife's Tank. I admit I get a bit nervous when my wife puts on the 5040 (her favorite) or the 3970, but somehow she takes better care of those versus the ones on steel bracelets.

Hah hah, thanks Newcomer. How are the review sessions coming along (or have I been gone for so long that you're already done!)?

My wife has incredibly strong willpower. She is actually well versed in fine timepieces and jewelry (pearls, diamonds, etc) - but she would never spend for herself (although she enjoys looking and learning quite a bit). I have become her enabler on the timepiece side.

I love these watches of yours, and I love how you take great pictures of them. Kudos to you and Stitchy for continuing to fuel TWAT with these awesome shots.

As for me today, a not-so-awesome shot of summer wear with my trusty 3970 in yellow gold. Off-white linen pants, purple striped socks from Phineas Cole, olive wingtips from Corthay. Who's afraid of wearing green and purple? Not the Incredible Hulk. And certainly not me.

[​IMG]

12. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Nope, he's much larger than those breeds. He is about 145 lbs, and maybe closer in size to a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog. See below for the answer.
    Jabba's a handsome pup. They gray whiskers suggest he is a senior citizen in the dog world? Nope, Thor isn't a Leonberger, although that is another good guess. I like Leonbergers. Really beautiful dogs, although I've only ever seen one in person once. Thor is an Ovcharka. They are from Eastern Europe and love cold weather and snow.
    You may want to check on that. I was fairly certain that he had a Bvlgari...although maybe I'm remembering a different Iron Man movie.
    I do that all the time!!! It must be a SF thing...or maybe the result of my eating too many Hamentashen over the years!

13. zippyh

zippyh Distinguished Member

First Iron Man he wore Bulgari.
    Second he wore JLC.

14. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Hey Frills,

On the few occasions where the Mrs. did wear one of my watches, my old Explorer 114270 and a Daytona, she was much more careful with the watches than she normally is. Although, I was still a bit nervous. Her Cartier TF takes a real beating as her daily wearer. Her dressier watch is a steel and rose gold Datejust, that she rarely wears. She has talked about getting a real dress watch, JLC Reverso or Piaget. She is very well versed in watches and jewelry (she might even be a bigger movement snob than me. She won't consider a quartz watch. I even have to remind her I own a quartz watch, a ref 17000 Rolex OYSTERQUARTZ). I think when push come to shove, generally she would rather have jewelry than another watch.

IIRC Newcomer should still be studying. The Bar exams are (or at least used to be) around the last week in July. Keep studying Newcomer!

Hulk Like green and purple together. Hulk also a fan of Phineas Cole socks and neckties.

15. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Distinguished Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.