The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Sylvia very pretty, and has nice taste in watches. My problem with Thor is he would consider tasting the watches (actually he might just swallow one whole).
    Nice to see some Cartier love here too!
    That's a beauty. I'm guessing you tried the GP forum (I believe there is one on TZ or Puristspro). I am far from a GP expert, but it seems many watches from 1940s, 1950s and 1960s, (PP, AP, VC) just went by reference numbers. Companies often did not have collections they way they do today, for example today VC has the Patrimony, Historique, and Overseas, etc. Often times a watch back then may have been made for a very short span of time, a change or two is made, and there is a new reference number (although they probably used the same movement, until a new one was released). I doubt you will find much specific information regarding your GP, but it really is a beautiful watch. Enjoy it.

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Very nice choice. Congrats! I'm sure it will give you many years of enjoyment!

3. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Thanks! yes, I tried the GP forum but it was a little overwhelming for "general" viewing. I'm not a watch expert and just buy based on (1) my aesthetic interests, (2) if I can afford it, and (3) (if vintage/used) if the seller is someone I know and/or trust!

When I bought it we had the back off and so I should have written down the numbers, but didn't think about it at the time. Will definitely do next time I'm at my local jeweler who services my goods. ;)

I think it's from the 50's or 60's... based on similar styles. But, again, it's hard to tell. Has the loveliest horse-gallop sound... tickaTICK, tickaTICK, tickaTICK. lol

Hope somebody here might have some info or lead me in the right direction.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013

4. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Nicely done, let's not stop at one.

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

rach2jlc - i dont know about vintage GP, but i do know that that watch is lovely. enjoy it.
    :drool:
    very nice. wear it in good health.

6. rach2jlc

Thank you, sir. ;)

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Yes, I agree its most likely from the 1950s or 1960s. I am not sure what kind of info you are looking to find out about this piece. Check Amazon and see if anyone has written a comprehensive book about GP (you might find it interesting). I have one for VC, and it has photos of dress watches, reference #s, and a few other things, but truth be told, there isn't a lot beyond that about older vintage pieces. You should try bringing it to a GP boutique, if you live near one or if you travel someplace that has one. Give them the ref # and with some research they should be able to tell you more about the watch, such as when it was made. However, I doubt you will find much more than that. There just wasn't a lot written about some of these dress watches back then.

Great looking watch. Enjoy it!

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:cheers:

how you been by the way?

9. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

A Patek Philippe or Vacheron Constantin should fulfill that need.

10. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

^^ Certainly would, but I fear as Stitchy likes his watches on the large side, the budget might be unrealistic! I was just looking at vintage VC and PP, but bigger than 34mm seems rare and expensive.

A JLC Grande Ultra Thin would seem like a sensible choice. Or if thin isn't essential, how about a nice 40mm no-date Nomos Zurich? You don't have any Germans yet, Stitch...me neither...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013

11. rach2jlc

Excellent info and advice; thanks!

Excellent. Working hard and enjoying IRL existence... so not online much. :)

12. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

Waiting at the gate for my flight to New Orleans for my bachelor party. Hopefully both the watch and myself make it back in one piece. [​IMG]

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Have a great time and enjoy New Orleans! My Sub says hello to yours

[​IMG]

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

New Orleans resident here--leave the watch at home! Just kidding, have fun and be safe. New Orleans is about as rowdy as it gets for bachelor parties.

15. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

You should be fine. Enjoy our fine city!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.