• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quadruple Post?!?!?!

Last edited:

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leap Year

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well executed ferris wheel:

Badly executed ferris wheel:

I think it is the font of the 9 that is the problem... if you are going to ferris wheel, you have to have a font where a nine is clearly a nine.

I much prefer the charm of the hand-lettered style in the second example. The nine on the first dial is equally indistinguishable from a six, and Times New Roman is not something I actually want to see anywhere on a watch. Its presence is by far my least favourite feature of my Reverso GMT.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually do prefer a certain amount of "flipping" on numerals as I refer to the date function often and would like it to be "right side up." Of course this is just a matter of training your brain, just like you have to kind of teach yourself how to read the subdial layout of any multi-subdial calendar anyway. Most ferris wheels flip between 23 and 25, for example, and that doesn't bother me. It's just the "9" that looks so much like a "6" that niggles, just a wee bit, especially since you could have flipped it at "11" and it would be fine.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I actually do prefer a certain amount of "flipping" on numerals as I refer to the date function often and would like it to be "right side up." Of course this is just a matter of training your brain, just like you have to kind of teach yourself how to read the subdial layout of any multi-subdial calendar anyway. Most ferris wheels flip between 23 and 25, for example, and that doesn't bother me. It's just the "9" that looks so much like a "6" that niggles, just a wee bit, especially since you could have flipped it at "11" and it would be fine.

i think that would be a lot better.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I think so - especially if the font used for "11" basically renders the flipping "irrelevant" (it won't even look like a flip if the 11 looked like this - "II" - as it does in the Patek 3970 and many others).

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go on ....

(I just want one with an open caseback that shows off the awesome movement.)
I don't know of a model (outside of maybe one of the numerous limited editions) that uses a plastic crystal but still offers a sapphire display back, but then again I am no Speedmaster expert, and I prefer a sapphire front crystal in any event.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They made the hesalite sandwich speedmaster for quite some time. Hesalite on the front with a sapphire display back. They are pretty easy to pick up on the second hand market.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Me too. Yes, doesn't remain true to the original, but sapphire crystal is just not as easily scratchable (although hesalite scratches can apparently be polished out pretty easily). As discussed in this forum a few (hundred?) pages ago, hesalite was essential to the original purpose since it doesn't shatter - sapphire crystal shatters and that would not exactly be good in zero gravity. But since I have no plans to go to the moon or wear a timepiece in zero gravity anytime soon I'd like the scratch proof benefits of the sapphire crystal. Just my personal preference.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me too. Yes, doesn't remain true to the original, but sapphire crystal is just not as easily scratchable (although hesalite scratches can apparently be polished out pretty easily). As discussed in this forum a few (hundred?) pages ago, hesalite was essential to the original purpose since it doesn't shatter - sapphire crystal shatters and that would not exactly be good in zero gravity.But since I have no plans to go to the moon or wear a timepiece in zero gravity anytime soon I'd like the scratch proof benefits of the sapphire crystal. Just my personal preference.

I have been a certified watch nut since circa 1991. Since then I have managed to shatter a sum total of exactly zero sapphire crystals. But I have scratched plenty of plastic crystals. So I am with you on scrtach resistance trumping shatter resistance. I'm not at all sure how "easily scratchable" plus "easily fixable" nets out to a positive in a contemporary sports watch, but people like what they like. One thing Speedmaster shoppers are not lacking is choice.

Last edited:

Cylon

Reaction score
I recommend seeing both in person. There is a wonderful warmth to the hesalite crystal that is hard to describe; and on the other side there is a cold serene look to the sapphire.

I know I sound like an idiot, but see for yourself

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
You don't sound like an idiot at all! Then again I write stuff like this all the time too... But seriously, there's nothing like actually seeing the watch and putting it on your wrist to settle doubts, questions, etc. Absolutely +1,000 for this advice.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
getting these breitlings ready today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics