The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

yes, i agree. i was just saying that if you are going to be bending numbers, that is the way i like it.

it seems that almost everyone does the sideways 9 on a perp cal and they all look like a 6 to me. AP seems to be the only one i saw in my quick search that does it the way i think looks nicer and makes more sense. i think the top one is a fantastic looking dial all around. very congruent and fluid.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

alternatively, there is this option, which entirely removes the issue.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2013

2. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Ah - dopey beat me while I was looking for images.. rats!

3. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

4. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Quadruple Post?!?!?!

5. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Leap Year

6. in stitches

yes. :)

7. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

I much prefer the charm of the hand-lettered style in the second example. The nine on the first dial is equally indistinguishable from a six, and Times New Roman is not something I actually want to see anywhere on a watch. Its presence is by far my least favourite feature of my Reverso GMT.

8. no frills

no frills Senior member

I actually do prefer a certain amount of "flipping" on numerals as I refer to the date function often and would like it to be "right side up." Of course this is just a matter of training your brain, just like you have to kind of teach yourself how to read the subdial layout of any multi-subdial calendar anyway. Most ferris wheels flip between 23 and 25, for example, and that doesn't bother me. It's just the "9" that looks so much like a "6" that niggles, just a wee bit, especially since you could have flipped it at "11" and it would be fine.

9. in stitches

i think that would be a lot better.

10. no frills

no frills Senior member

Quote:I think so - especially if the font used for "11" basically renders the flipping "irrelevant" (it won't even look like a flip if the 11 looked like this - "II" - as it does in the Patek 3970 and many others).

11. suaviter

suaviter Senior member

Go on ....

(I just want one with an open caseback that shows off the awesome movement.)

12. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I don't know of a model (outside of maybe one of the numerous limited editions) that uses a plastic crystal but still offers a sapphire display back, but then again I am no Speedmaster expert, and I prefer a sapphire front crystal in any event.

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

They made the hesalite sandwich speedmaster for quite some time. Hesalite on the front with a sapphire display back. They are pretty easy to pick up on the second hand market.

14. no frills

no frills Senior member

Quote:Me too. Yes, doesn't remain true to the original, but sapphire crystal is just not as easily scratchable (although hesalite scratches can apparently be polished out pretty easily). As discussed in this forum a few (hundred?) pages ago, hesalite was essential to the original purpose since it doesn't shatter - sapphire crystal shatters and that would not exactly be good in zero gravity. But since I have no plans to go to the moon or wear a timepiece in zero gravity anytime soon I'd like the scratch proof benefits of the sapphire crystal. Just my personal preference.

15. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I have been a certified watch nut since circa 1991. Since then I have managed to shatter a sum total of exactly zero sapphire crystals. But I have scratched plenty of plastic crystals. So I am with you on scrtach resistance trumping shatter resistance. I'm not at all sure how "easily scratchable" plus "easily fixable" nets out to a positive in a contemporary sports watch, but people like what they like. One thing Speedmaster shoppers are not lacking is choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.