The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gambit50

gambit50 Senior member

Stick with watches, mate. Many a hole in many an argument. But with your obvious means, you have quite the assortment of fine timepieces. Your 'hamburger' watch might even do it for me. Not familiar with it in person and the measurements are possible but maybe not quite right on my wrist. I cannot say for sure without it on my flesh. Sorry, that attempt at a pseudo pun sounds off. I find size issues also depend on size of wearer.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

+1

these are lovely.

3. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I really like mine - and it's one that's not very derivative of an existing watch that I know of. Their sister brand Alpina has a longer history and is better known globally, but not so much in the states.

It's true, their marketing strategy is a bit muddled and is holding them back. As a manufacture, I think their watches are a much better value than, say, most of the Longines that are based on ETA movements. But they should clean up the lower end stuff and try to limit their channels a little - although I don't see an issue with Amazon or Overstock, who also carry Longines, Breitling, B&R, TAG, Tissot, Oris, Hamilton, etc.

4. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

I love it! Even though lends heavily from smiliar watches from other brands. The execution looks very good. But 42mm? A tad bit too large for a dressy watch, no?

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  5. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

But it doesn't have a dot between the 31 and the 3. Or a 2. Ah well, who needs even numbered days anyway? [​IMG]

6. no frills

no frills Senior member

Teehee! I see what you did there.

But wait - really now, aesthetically speaking, see how "7" is followed by what looks like a "6" in the moonphase as you go clockwise? That choice to flip the numerals at "9" actually does turn a bunch of folks off. Others would have said "keep the 9 in line with 7 and do the flip at 11, which is "palindrome-ic" anyway.

Doesn't bother me though. Or maybe I should take another closer look...

7. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

You've looked close enough. Dino will have an aneurism.

8. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Come on, guys — there was a winky face there! What, too soon!?

Agreed with the Nomos recommendations. That would be my first choice for a currently-manufactured watch around that price, too. Many modern "dressy" ones of comparable cost screw it up by adding a badly-drawn date window (often floating in the middle of an oversized dial) or messing up other elements. Nomos' attention to detail is very impressive; they're fluent in the language of design in ways that many of their competitors wouldn't even understand.

Another one to consider around the $2K mark would be an older 34 or 36 mm Rolex, like an Oyster Precision, Air-King, Date or Datejust model. While they're not strictly dress watches, they can look great on a strap, are certainly dressy enough for most situations, and offer quality, reliability and serviceability that can't be beat for the price. They have the same no-compromise movements that went into the sports range, as well.

There's heaps to be had out there in vintage-land, too. This sunburst-dial Enicar, bought from a former watchmaker in a Budapest street market, occasionally gets worn on the pictured strap for dress-watch duties — at least when it's not on someone else's wrist as a gateway drug into watch addiction. There are heaps of high-quality older watches out there from formerly great manufacturers that can be had very reasonably, and were skillfully made to standards that today aren't seen in new stuff anywhere near their price.

[​IMG]

9. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Yes indeed. There's so much out there, and a decent SS 36mm Datejust is definitely dressy enough in my book, even on a bracelet. It's simple, modestly sized but solid and manly.

10. Stefan88

Stefan88 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got some pictures of the used watch I´m looking at. Too me it looks fine, but if anyone can spot any warning signs from the 3 pictures I´d love to hear them. I sent a mail asking for a confirmation on the movement, its condition, and the condition of the sapphire glass. They do however not have the case or the certificate card, but it is sold by a reputable Japanese watch store (not only internet). Kinda between buying this and a new Oris right now.

11. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

used air king or omega...but id go with an air king

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Stefan88 - not the best pic ever, but looks legit.

that 9 should be flipped. the numbers for me, should be as if they were written in a straight line, and then bent into a circle by pulling the end down and attaching it to the back of the 1. so essentially, there really is no flipping at all.

13. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is a perpetual debate. really, there should be a definitive essay describing the different approaches and which one is really better (not joking). Clearly, on rotating bezels and when you have numerals only at the quadrants, you don't flip. But when, if ever, is it ok to flip? I think you should treat each numeral like a ferris wheel car and it should always hang straight (there is a design term for treating design elements as real objects, but I forget it)..

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Happy birthday! You've got a great wife and now a great watch! Congrats and enjoy it.
    I think thats a slightly better version, but even as someone that loves asymmetric dials or watch cases, this watch just doesn't sit well with me.

Mimo, what can I say...it isn't easy being Dino...but I do my best ! [​IMG]

Quote:
    Agreed!
    At 38mm thats quite unusual for a vintage watch. Keep us posted Roger, I hope the deal works out for you.
    Frills, I've tried on the 3970 in the past. No doubt about it its a beauty. Yes, some collectors may have issues with the case height to diameter ration, but no watch can be everything to everyone.

Regarding the mole comment, supermodels have a reputation for being high maintenance so why settle for one with a defect? Its like buying a nearly perfect vintage watch and accepting one with stain on the dial. Sorry, I'd rather wait for a perfect version even if it costs more. As for Kate Upton, now thats my kind of supermodel !!! A perfect case shape, and no imperfection on the dial, like a dot that could start growing hair or be a sign she is ready for a part as the Wicked Witch of the West.

15. apropos

apropos Senior member

Ah, but on that watch the, er, links will, er, loosen and stretch with time... Think about those saggy links, which will make an aged Jubilee look positively, um, perky.

A wise man once told me - getting a nice looking, er, watch is a young man's game. After a certain point in your life, it's less about what the, um, watch looks like and rather more about (wink wink) what the watch will do... [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.