The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

I'd like to order a strap from CF, but there seem to be so many options and the photos accompanying the options are a bit lacking. What's the best way to figure out how each option would look? The options I'm unsure on are thickness (should I just measure my existing strap?), profile (flat vs. square) and finish (folded vs. waxed).

2. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

The SM300 is one of my definite favs! Wears well on the original bracelet like yours, Omega mesh, perlon NATO or suede (from Hodinkee for instance).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  3. ggtk

ggtk Active Member

Digging the suede. :)

4. Kai

Kai Senior member

Wrist Shot:

Revue Thommen "Swiss Alps Challenge, Airspeed Altimeter"

Day 4 of a 5 day ski traverse from Mammoth to Yosemite.

[​IMG]

5. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I was really disappointed when Jaeger-LeCoultre discontinued the Reverso Grande Date a couple years ago. It was my favorite Reverso and a really awesome value: big date, eight-days of power, and a power reserve indicator for less than $10K retail. I usually hate cut-off numerals, but it's so blatant in the RGD's case that it is somehow acceptable, in a whimsical steampunk sort of way.

[​IMG]

The in-house cal. 875 was a particularly strong draw. Not only was it properly sized and shaped for the RGD's case, but its bridges were artfully and elegantly cut. Display backs have become a trendy feature over the years, but the movements they reveal are often embarrassingly humble. Not so in the case of the cal. 875. Here's a movement worth showing off:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's why the newer Grande Reverso 976 is such an awful letdown. The front-side is perfectly nice:

[​IMG]

But flip to the other side and prepare yourself for a what-the-fuck moment:

[​IMG]

To power the Grande Reverso, JLC just took the movement out of the Master Hometime (a round watch), removed the dual time function, cut off the sides, and fit it into a rectangular holder. I could maybe live with that--if I wasn't forced to look at it. Aside from the unfortunate, blatantly compromised nature of its shape, the movement lacks any of the thoughtful bridgework that make the cal. 875 and other displayed movements worth looking at. You can't see any of the gearing and there is no sense of depth of dimensionality. Really, all you see is the balance wheel. They might as well have just cut out a circular display over that particular part, not that doing so would have been any more tasteful. Ugly, nonsensical stuff.

My guess is that they will bring back a revamped Grande Date over the next couple of years. Hopefully they don't base if off the cal. 976. Who wants to spend near $10K for a watch only to wind up with such in-your-face cost-cutting?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  6. Coldcava

Coldcava Senior member

More reasons the Grand Taille looks better and better. Any love out there for the Grande Reverso Calendar?

7. JohnD356

JohnD356 Senior member

I've had good luck with some Hirsch Artisanal straps...they're often around on Ebay.

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i have long lusted for the Reverso Grande Date.

9. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Apologies for asking perhaps the obvious, but wouldn't this be a bit too big for your wrist?

10. no frills

no frills Senior member

Had a grand time over Easter weekend with the kiddies. Here I am watching over my daughter playing in the sand.

[​IMG]

11. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

What an incredibly timely post above. I've been giving serious consideration to buying a PP 5711, can you explain what the process is for purchasing one? How long does it take to work your way through the wait list for one at an authorized dealer. How reasonable is it to try for a pre-owned 5711? Are any of the websites that offer them authorized dealers? I appreciate any information you can give me on the subject.

h_s

12. ant702

ant702 Senior member

[​IMG]

13. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Me too - fantastic watch.

14. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

gahhhh. I cant tell you how much i love this PP. Lately ive been considering selling off a few of mine to fund one....either the 5711 or a pre-v panerai.

15. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I seriously considered and looked at a PP 5711, its a great watch (I chose an AP instead). Patek ADs don't sell them over the internet. Also, not sure how many AD's there are near you or how busy they are, but I've walked into AD's and seen them in the show case. So I'm not sure there is a wait list for the 5711. At one point there was a wait list for its sibling the 5712/A, but I've even seen a few of those at ADs from time to time. If no AD's near you have one, go to Vegas for a long weekend. I was there in October and between the 2 or 3 ADs out there, they had each version of the Nautilus available for sale. Good luck and post some photos if you pull the trigger on one.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.