• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

kungapa

Reaction score
Any love for vintage chrono's here? I've been thinking about picking up something like this:

I guess servicing might be the main issue though. A Universal Geneve Tri Compax would be ideal, but at the going rate they are rather pricey.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

It is a lovely, lovely watch and I'll just repeat what's been said many times before in dozens of forums: the blue/green dial is really mesmerizing to behold. I quite like the sweeping seconds hand too, and prefer the "clean" dial versus adding complications (5712, 5726, 5980, etc) - but that is just me. I find the entire Nautilus line very desirable. Which is surprising for me because a few months ago I couldn't see myself getting a "sporty" Patek watch. That semi-circular/oval/porthole look? Those ears? Ick! But that was when I was viewing it in 2D. Once you see it in person and once you have it on your wrist, oh man. All doubts evaporate.

im 100% in agreement with you...that clean dial is my favorite. Theres 1 AD here in nashville that had a few in stock,m only in rose gold or yellow gold, no SS. As gorgeous as they were, i just couldnt swing the asking price. When they finally did get in the 5711, It was just bad timing for me. (by bad timing i mean empty wallet)

Ive wanted to start digging around to find one on the grey market. I have a few watches id need to move, but that shouldt be a huge problem. Id like to get that secured before my daughter is born and takes all my discretionary funds ;)

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Any love for vintage chrono's here? I've been thinking about picking up something like this:

I guess servicing might be the main issue though. A Universal Geneve Tri Compax would be ideal, but at the going rate they are rather pricey.

oh HELL yes. Its pretty hard to beat those. They can be had fairly "reasonable" if you get something with a basic lemania movement and a branded dial. A good Lemania movement is a reliable motor and fairly reasonable as far as maintenance goes.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
out of curiosity, how long has Tourneau had a private label? I thought they introduced their own line fairly recently, but obviously that watch is old so I am ill-informed.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

out of curiosity, how long has Tourneau had a private label? I thought they introduced their own line fairly recently, but obviously that watch is old so I am ill-informed.

i think as long as theyve been around.....obviously not an in house movement, but a general movement with their name on the dial.

Last edited:

kungapa

Reaction score

i think as long as theyve been around.....obviously not an in house movement, but a general movement with their name on the dial.

Seller claims cal 7751, though the subdial positions are different from the Valjoux 7751, so I am not entirely sure if that is correct. Thoughts?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Seller claims cal 7751, though the subdial positions are different from the Valjoux 7751, so I am not entirely sure if that is correct. Thoughts?

I know the placement of the subdials can be moved.... so that wouldnt be a telling sign. I wish i was as familiar with the 7751 as i am with the 7750.

kungapa

Reaction score

I know the placement of the subdials can be moved.... so that wouldnt be a telling sign. I wish i was as familiar with the 7751 as i am with the 7750.

Hard to work on? I might be able to pick this one up for around 1K or so, if I am lucky. Stainless steel rather than gold, which is a plus for me. Tiny though, at 35mm. Good dress chrono.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Rocking my vintage longines today, need a new strap at some point, any suggestions?

great watch. check out a hirsch riva....i think that would look great with that.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Hard to work on? I might be able to pick this one up for around 1K or so, if I am lucky. Stainless steel rather than gold, which is a plus for me. Tiny though, at 35mm. Good dress chrono.

id have no problem buying at that price. any watch maker can work on those movements...pretty much the standard movement they learn on. Keep us posted if you buy it..id love to see some more pics.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Update on my watch strap search for my 70+ year old H. Moser & Cie.

I received a reply back from Camile Fournet, who said that the only way they would be able to make a strap for the fixed lugs of my watch would be to have me send the watch to them. They would then sew the strap directly onto the watch.

Seeing as how the watch is irreplaceable, I am not comfortable with the prospect of sending it across the world, even if it means that it may get excellent treatment at CF.

So, I'm back to square one...

kungapa

Reaction score

id have no problem buying at that price. any watch maker can work on those movements...pretty much the standard movement they learn on. Keep us posted if you buy it..id love to see some more pics.

Will do.

I'm debating whether I would like a moon phase that is still blue, but this is rather lovely as well.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
for a fixed lug watch youre kinda fucked. The only option youve got is to pick up strap making yourself if you dont wanna send it off. or a........NATO.

any pics of it? id love to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics