The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

Quote:Refer to Dino944's post above too re: relative availability at ADs. It seems to be tougher to obtain here in NYC, at least over the last two to three months. Depending on the AD you might not get as much of a discount either given what seems to be strong demand for the piece. I obtained mine, pre-owned, from an AD in NYC but it was an interesting case: after wearing the piece for a few days the previous owner returned it to the AD "because it stopped working." It probably got magnetized, so the AD sent it to Patek for full servicing and I got it 20% off retail, Patek-sealed and fresh. Not bad, right? But I think I got lucky. Patek is also controlling production of the Nautilus a bit more "stern"-ly (ha), at least since early 2012. Quote from Thierry Stern below: "The Nautilus is a very strong watch. 60 percent of the clients here are wearing one which is great, but it’s dangerous too. We don’t want to become a one watch brand, so I control the production. We could easily sell twice as many steel Nautiluses as we do. Now you can get them on the second hand market for more than the retail price because of this." http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2012/1/12/interview-thierry-stern-president-of-patek-philippe.html If you don't like waiting (patience is not my strong suit), you can obtain a Nautilus from the grey market pretty easily, but I am not sure how much lower you can go versus 20% off MSRP of $26,700 especially for BNIB. Obviously, do your due diligence with grey market dealers and "buy the seller."

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

I don't really know why my efforts at separating paragraphs and proper spacing above did not materialize. Sorry about that.

3. no frills

no frills Senior member

Quote:It is a lovely, lovely watch and I'll just repeat what's been said many times before in dozens of forums: the blue/green dial is really mesmerizing to behold. I quite like the sweeping seconds hand too, and prefer the "clean" dial versus adding complications (5712, 5726, 5980, etc) - but that is just me. I find the entire Nautilus line very desirable. Which is surprising for me because a few months ago I couldn't see myself getting a "sporty" Patek watch. That semi-circular/oval/porthole look? Those ears? Ick! But that was when I was viewing it in 2D. Once you see it in person and once you have it on your wrist, oh man. All doubts evaporate.

4. kungapa

kungapa Senior member

Any love for vintage chrono's here? I've been thinking about picking up something like this:

[​IMG]

I guess servicing might be the main issue though. A Universal Geneve Tri Compax would be ideal, but at the going rate they are rather pricey.

5. no frills

no frills Senior member

6. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

im 100% in agreement with you...that clean dial is my favorite. Theres 1 AD here in nashville that had a few in stock,m only in rose gold or yellow gold, no SS. As gorgeous as they were, i just couldnt swing the asking price. When they finally did get in the 5711, It was just bad timing for me. (by bad timing i mean empty wallet)

Ive wanted to start digging around to find one on the grey market. I have a few watches id need to move, but that shouldt be a huge problem. Id like to get that secured before my daughter is born and takes all my discretionary funds ;)

7. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

oh HELL yes. Its pretty hard to beat those. They can be had fairly "reasonable" if you get something with a basic lemania movement and a branded dial. A good Lemania movement is a reliable motor and fairly reasonable as far as maintenance goes.

8. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

out of curiosity, how long has Tourneau had a private label? I thought they introduced their own line fairly recently, but obviously that watch is old so I am ill-informed.

9. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

i think as long as theyve been around.....obviously not an in house movement, but a general movement with their name on the dial.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  10. kungapa

kungapa Senior member

Seller claims cal 7751, though the subdial positions are different from the Valjoux 7751, so I am not entirely sure if that is correct. Thoughts?

11. streetlight

streetlight Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Rocking my vintage longines today, need a new strap at some point, any suggestions?

12. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

I know the placement of the subdials can be moved.... so that wouldnt be a telling sign. I wish i was as familiar with the 7751 as i am with the 7750.

13. kungapa

kungapa Senior member

Hard to work on? I might be able to pick this one up for around 1K or so, if I am lucky. Stainless steel rather than gold, which is a plus for me. Tiny though, at 35mm. Good dress chrono.

14. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

great watch. check out a hirsch riva....i think that would look great with that.

15. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

id have no problem buying at that price. any watch maker can work on those movements...pretty much the standard movement they learn on. Keep us posted if you buy it..id love to see some more pics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.