The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

I've had several straps done up by ABP - all croc in special tannings - and they've held up incredibly well. I won't comment on price/value relative to CF or other makes as I don't have first-hand experience, but at least in my experience with ABP, customer service was top-notch, they've done rush orders without surcharge, and do provide a "forum" discount. There is an incredible variety of skins to choose from, and virtually any detail from lining material, type of stitching, thickness and shape is customizable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

really hard to see the straps with those fantastic langes drawing the eye away. ;)

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

GP is definitely an under appreciated brand, which may be the result of some hit or miss products and their pricing. I like them and tried a few on at their Boutique in NYC last summer. I think in their quest to join others in the "LARGE WATCH MARKET" they bulked up several models unsuccessfully. The Laureato was originally a sophisticated sport watch marketed toward those interested in an AP RO, PP Nautilus, or VC 222. However, in the last 10 years or so morphed into some bizarre caricature of itself. The Vintage 1945 is a cool design, and I love square and rectangular cases. However, they have also become too bulky and even with a curved case back I just didn't find it sat well on my wrist and it looked better in photos than it did in person or on me. I found it disappointing and less sophisticated in design and feel than a Reverso. Then there are the Sea Hawks...which were once a sort of traditional, but maybe sterile version of diving watches. Now I find them lumpy looking with crown protecting shoulders built into a lug. It now has the unfortunate distinction of looking like a hunchback watch case.

On the positive side, the chrono posted by Belligero is really a handsome design. Its refreshing to see a different case shape for a chronograph. The last cushion shaped chronograph I liked was the Medicus by VC, however it was too pricey for chronograph that used cams rather than a column wheel.

In addition, I love the GP 1966 line up. A clean, elegant dress watch is maybe what the do best and what they should focus on. I had an opportunity to try on both the full calendar and their Annual Calendar Equation of Time. The asymmetric dial made it sort of whimsical and fun...at least until you saw the price. That was one area that these fell short. Maybe they are competitive with other high end brands, and maybe they are a bargain compared to what a watch with similar complications would cost from other brands. However, once I hit a certain price range I couldn't help but feel like I'd probably go with a different brand.
    That's really stunning. I love the cushion shaped case of that model. It really helps it to stand out from the dozens of chronos on the market. I hope to see one maybe the next time I visit the Boutique in NYC (there are no GP dealers near me anymore).

4. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

didn't Foo get that watch for coming in second place in Esquire's best dressed contest?

5. no frills

no frills Senior member

I have no idea who you're talking about, mimo....... [​IMG]

Come on, you've got to give me some credit. It's been almost 30 days and I haven't "extended the endgame"....! [​IMG]

Unseasonably cold in NYC today so I wore a topcoat. But I forgot my scarf, so when I came across a coyote I killed it with my bare hands and wrapped its fur around my neck.

3970 getting LOTS of wrist time, though I banged it against a door frame earlier this afternoon and I believe gave it its first ding, right on its lovely concave bezel. Whoops.

[​IMG]

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

dino - i pretty much agree with your sentiment of GP. also, i have always had a fondness for the jackpot toubillon. i know its OTT, but i think it is amazing and quite beautiful, and what went into the functioning slot machine on top of the tourb is actually quite amazing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Very enjoyable thread that is forever improving. Sorry to pester the discussion with my baubles. Enjoying the holidays, and finding proof, that what chicks dig, are Pateks!

[​IMG]

8. ggtk

ggtk Active Member

Worked on this Vintage IWC from '46 last week. Gorgeous movement in a 14k case..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  9. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

That guy is fucking awesome. He came for 2 of the nashville GTGs.

10. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

The gripe i have with GP is minimal, but enough to keep me from buying one new....they dont hold their value bery well at all...which makes them much more attractive grey market. Also, of the few people i know with first hand experience, theyve all had quality problems...nothing major, but enough to turn them sour on GP. One guy had a loose screw on the bracelet...went back to them 3 times. Never could fix it, so he finally just said fuck it and superglued it in. Another had the hands fall off and took 4 months to get back. Theyre nice watches for sure, and i know that a few bad apples shouldnt spoil the brand, but id never buy one unless it was heavily discounted.

11. apropos

apropos Senior member

Am having a :facepalm: moment with one of the forum affiliates now re: an order for a watch strap. This well known affiliate recently started selling watches and watch straps as well. He's a good guy, but I suspect he's in over his head with watches.

I ask if a custom watch strap order is OK. No problem he says, tell us what you want done.

So I do - I would like an unlined strap in XYZ length, and you can leave out the buckle, as I have a signed buckle already so no need for your buckle.

The strap arrived yesterday, and guess what - not only is there no buckle, there is no stitching at the buckle end, no cutout for the tang, nothing done at all. The buckle end of the strap has been left completely unfinished. The maker has helpfully creased it to show where I should start sewing though.

So I contact the seller - and his reply?

I'm having a...

[​IMG]

...moment right now. I'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  12. Flake

Flake Senior member

J is a friend and a good dude. He got that name after he showed up at a small GTG in St Augustine with his then small Panerai collection in a tube sock.

13. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

^^wow....just....wow. They probably shouldnt get into the strap business.

14. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

I havent seen him in a few years. He definitely is a great guy. He came out with me a nd kevin after the GTG one year and had some drinks...lots of fun. Next time you see him, tell him Derek said hello. if he doesnt remember me, punch him in the nuts. ;)

15. no frills

no frills Senior member

Quote:Heh heh. Like this post and your baubles. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.