The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

That's ridiculous. You should get your money back.

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by in stitches [​IMG]

dino - i pretty much agree with your sentiment of GP. also, i have always had a fondness for the jackpot toubillon. i know its OTT, but i think it is amazing and quite beautiful, and what went into the functioning slot machine on top of the tourb is actually quite amazing.

Hi Stitchy. The Jackpot Tourbillon is very creative and fun. Although, if its anything like other complicated Vintage 1945 its going to be clunky and not sit well on the wrist. Still its amazingly creative!
    Agreed. They are nice watches but resale value on them is very weak and its a brand I'd probably only consider if it was available with a very steep discount. I only knew one guy that owned a GP in recent years, but I don't know whether his experienced any problems or not.

3. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Incidentally I was at my AD last week and he happend to have a few GP's in the case. I asked him about it (since I've been intrigued by the brand of late), and he told me they have terrible resale value, and the store has a really hard time selling them if at all.

At first I thought it may just be our region, but it seems this is more likely the norm. Shame too..

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

amazing. you have some of the best and most creative watch pics around.

lovely.

i saw some wrist pics, and it actually looked like it sat very well. probably depends on wrist size though, not for the small of hand. its truly amazing and i want one so bad.

:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  5. kungapa

kungapa Senior member

Anyone familiar with service centers in the NYC area?

My Junghans with an ETA 2801 is in need of servicing (no longer winds), as is my Omega Speedmaster (no longer winds, but still runs as it is an automatic).

Since they are ETA movements both of them, I was hoping it wouldn't get too expensive.

6. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

It's an amazing timepiece - I'll give you a dollar to start the fund.... if you can find about 700,000 more friends who will do the same, it can be yours!

7. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

send them to DerekS in Nashville, TN. ill give you the address. Just the speedy since that still works. Ill probably need to keep it for about a year. just to...you know...make sure its working properly. :lol:

On a serious note...make sure whoever you choose that you do your research

8. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

In NY a good place to start might be Tourrneau. I use Aaron Faber for some stuff, and really like them... but for certain manufactures, they will tell you it's safer to bring it to Tourneau. AFAIK, Aaron Faber are outsourcing to someone (I'm not sure who) who works on all the watches they plan to sell.

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

this is brilliant. thank you! ill send you a link one the official fund has been established. :slayer:

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Looking for a strap for my Speedy Pro now. Looking to keep it around the $150.00 mark, and I am unwilling at this point in time to go through CF or ABP. Right now I am thinking about either something from Hodinkee or something from Leffot.

What say you all!

11. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I have purchased 4 or 5 straps from this guy:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6467899&rid=0#msg_6467899

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6467894&rid=0#msg_6467894

He does excellent custom work and always has several available for immediate delivery. What colour are you thinking of? Pretty sure I have one of his in the strap drawer that I never mounted on a watch.

12. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Got me.... I LOL'ed.

13. no frills

no frills Senior member

There's always the timepiece-specific official service centers. I've had several watches serviced at 60-year old Central Watch in the 45th street passageway at Grand Central. Family run, good people, with mad skills. Hodinkee profile here from back in late 2011:

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2009/11/23/nycs-central-watch-a-horological-hidden-gem.html

Steve Kivel runs the place now (before this, his dad Larry did; his grandfather started the business). They have accounts with every major watchmaker so you'll get original parts if any need replacing, and having watches serviced here is usually much, much cheaper than the original service centers.

Just my two cents.

14. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Senior member

Content removed by poster.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  15. ggtk

ggtk Active Member

Omega Seamaster 300
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.