• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moo:

I know you like the strap, but would you recommend it? I am looking at a strap for my Speedy, but I was just wondering if you thought that $140.00 was fair for the quality that you are receiving. I think the natural would look really cool with the Speedy.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
It was a gift, so it has a bit of a special place in my heart now, so I am definitely biased. :) That being said, I think they are probably a bit overpriced (I mean... 4 straps = 1 pair of shoes at this rate, right? :lol: ) but the quality is there. And the Horween stamp is worth at least $20, right?

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

he owns an IWC, so its been pages of IWC IS TEH BEST WATCVH BRAND EVER!!!! I AM RIGHT AND NOBODY CAN DISPUTE BECAUSE I KNOW!!!!!11

same **** he does everywhere else. It makes any good point he raises null and void to me.

Come on man, you know this isn't even close to true.

It was a gift, so it has a bit of a special place in my heart now, so I am definitely biased. :) That being said, I think they are probably a bit overpriced (I mean... 4 straps = 1 pair of shoes at this rate, right? :lol: ) but the quality is there. And the Horween stamp is worth at least $20, right?

Yeah, I know it's mind boggling. Don't worry, not long till you're ordering 200 euro custom watch straps and thinking to yourself - what a bargain! It's all downhill from here on, heh. :devil:

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

he owns an IWC, so its been pages of IWC IS TEH BEST WATCVH BRAND EVER!!!! I AM RIGHT AND NOBODY CAN DISPUTE BECAUSE I KNOW!!!!!11

same **** he does everywhere else. It makes any good point he raises null and void to me.

You know what? Go *************.

IB Foo takes 3 paragraphs to explain hes not doing that

See above. What do I win?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
welp. there goes the thread again.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't the manufacturers themselves charge a lot more than 200 euro for an alligator strap? It's been years, but the last one I got from IWC was something like $400. Ludicrous. I'm using an ABP one now. Half the price, but probably about half the quality, too.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Guys...

3pnm9z.jpg

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score

Yeah, I know it's mind boggling. Don't worry, not long till you're ordering 200 euro custom watch straps and thinking to yourself - what a bargain! It's all downhill from here on, heh. :devil:

:fu: you're probably right... I am looking at a custom option for my H. Moser & Cie as we speak. No luck finding someone who can make/find me an open end genuine tan/honey gator strap.

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

I know. I assumed it was an obvious exaggeration.

and referring to straps...its a VERY slippery slope. I remember adding up the 20-30 straps i had in a box for my panerais and realizing i could EASILY sell them all and fund a whole watch. :embar:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

:fu: you're probably right... I am looking at a custom option for my H. Moser & Cie as we speak. No luck finding someone who can make/find me an open end genuine tan/honey gator strap.

ABP Paris!

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not Camille Fournet? Do not have the variety of ABP, but I heard the quality is a little better.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't the manufacturers themselves charge a lot more than 200 euro for an alligator strap? It's been years, but the last one I got from IWC was something like $400. Ludicrous. I'm using an ABP one now. Half the price, but probably about half the quality, too.

JLC uses Camille Fournet and charges a nearly 100% markup for the exact same strap from CF. I hate it when watch companies do stupid things like that.

ABP Paris!

Speak of the devil, just ordered something from them. Feel a little... numb now at dropping that much $$ on a piece of leather.

Why not Camille Fournet? Do not have the variety of ABP, but I heard the quality is a little better.

Less flexible customisation options. Not impressed with CF RTW straps as seen on all JLCs.

Nice - thanks.

What is the order to delivery time?

moo, 5-10 days to make, then however long shipping takes (they use FedEx or some other courier).

Last edited:

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know. I assumed it was an obvious exaggeration.

and referring to straps...its a VERY slippery slope. I remember adding up the 20-30 straps i had in a box for my panerais and realizing i could EASILY sell them all and fund a whole watch. :embar:

Panerai with only 20-30 straps? That's like a starter kit.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Fournet is much, much better quality. My wife has an ABP alligator strap on her Reverso. Within a couple of months, the coloring began chipping off. It's as if the hide was painted, not died. Underneath the color, the hide is kind of a bleached yellow-white. The burgundy alligator strap I have from them on my Portuguese has also had wonky coloring issues. Nothing chipped off, but after a while, the strap turned white at stress points. I've never seen anything like any of this before.

Also, you can tell from when they are new that the hides just aren't as supple or soft as high-end OEM stuff.

Apropos: if you weren't impressed with the CF strap that came with your JLC, I suspect you'll be underwhelmed with ABP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads