Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apropos

apropos Senior member

JLC uses Camille Fournet and charges a nearly 100% markup for the exact same strap from CF. I hate it when watch companies do stupid things like that.

Speak of the devil, just ordered something from them. Feel a little... numb now at dropping that much $$ on a piece of leather.

Less flexible customisation options. Not impressed with CF RTW straps as seen on all JLCs.

moo, 5-10 days to make, then however long shipping takes (they use FedEx or some other courier).

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013

2. Flake

Flake Senior member

Panerai with only 20-30 straps? That's like a starter kit.

3. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Fournet is much, much better quality. My wife has an ABP alligator strap on her Reverso. Within a couple of months, the coloring began chipping off. It's as if the hide was painted, not died. Underneath the color, the hide is kind of a bleached yellow-white. The burgundy alligator strap I have from them on my Portuguese has also had wonky coloring issues. Nothing chipped off, but after a while, the strap turned white at stress points. I've never seen anything like any of this before.

Also, you can tell from when they are new that the hides just aren't as supple or soft as high-end OEM stuff.

Apropos: if you weren't impressed with the CF strap that came with your JLC, I suspect you'll be underwhelmed with ABP.

4. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

depends on how custom you want. id say if its fairly basic with an available hide, 2 weeks-ish?

quite true. I hosted a couple meet ups here in nashville and was put to shame by a couple guys. unreal. I wouldve easily had more if i wasnt actively buying watches at the same time.

5. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

I remember buying an ammo strap for almost $500. calf, not exotic. :embar:

6. mafoofan

The other odd thing about ABP is that they charge you higher prices if you buy from them in person at their Paris shop. Absurd, actually. We were told it was a customer service surcharge.

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i dont think its dumb, its part of the package. i think everyone knows that on some level they are paying extra for the brand, above and beyond the timepiece, design and workmanship, when they buy a luxury watch. when you have buckle stamped JLC or Panerai or whatever, you know youre paying more for it, its just the way it is. thats how i view it anyways.

8. mafoofan

Whatever it is, it's best avoided by going directly to the source.

Also, straps are different from things like buckles and deployants. The latter are typically branded and proprietary in design. Each high-end maker uses its own unique parts. You simply cannot buy the same thing elsewhere for less. Moreover, you don't have to regularly replace a buckle or deployant.

The mark-up on straps, on the other hand, is a pretty naked play at customers' frivolity and/or ignorance. Once they find out, it's just insulting.

9. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

almost 20% IIRC. very absurd. I guess phone and internet are more expensive in paris.

10. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

eh. I disagree. I remember when Panerai came out with their Riva strap...they sold out EVERYWHERE. for like 249 MSRP. They are made by hirsch...and hirsch had the same strap on their site readily available for $65. Then again panerai is kinda the king of overpricing.

11. apropos

apropos Senior member

Oh, say it isn't so. :(

I guess I'll just hope that the relatively unusual skin I chose will make up for any deficiencies in make to some extent (hint, not halal).

Completely a #firstworldproblem "issue", but I am completely over alligator/croc as a watch strap material. It starts going downhill from day 1, and I've never seen a common leather type that is more storage-sensitive, climate-sensitive, moisture-sensitive, and less save-able-from-regular-wear-and-tear-using-conventional-methods. I mean, a calf or cordovan strap can be patched up somewhat with some conditioner and elbow grease, but with reptile you're SOL, and there is no such thing as nice reptile "patina". The very nature of the hide encourages accelerated wear with its distinct flex points. Just doesn't do anything for me anymore.

I'm going down the #batshitcrazy route from now on... phoque, pangolin, peccary, etc, here I come.

How very French of them.

[​IMG]

The package is dumb!! :fu:

12. mafoofan

I don't know who did the OEM straps for IWC back in 2004-2005, but I still have my black alligator one and it shows virtually no wear. Much softer and better finished than the ABP one I later got. Nice big scales. The dye obviously goes deep, deep into the hide, as the space between scales is as black as the scales themselves. ABP alligator feels like plastic.

The Fournet ones I've handled seemed really top notch to me, though. So maybe my standards are just lower.

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I am excited to see what my Ostrich strap from CF looks like. I will let y'all know how fast the turn around is.

I have been extremely pleased with the JLC OEM straps that I have received so far.

ABP seems like the only maker with such an absurd amount of hides though. I am a sucker for suede or nubuck gator, and would love to pick one up at some time.

14. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

It lookes like Camille is cheaper and apparently better quality than ABP. I think I will go with Camille.

15. mafoofan

If Fournet is cheaper than ABP now, that must have changed some time over the past few years. ABP used to be the "budget" French strap maker. Maybe they've succeeded in building more of a brand for themselves through their internet presence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.