1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReversoLover

ReversoLover Senior member

Alden Dark Brown Suede chukkas? If so, here's my matching low-top plain toe version! If not, then fail on my part. Happy Friday everyone!

[​IMG]

2. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Frills - good call - Pantherella OTC.

ReversoLover - shoes are navy Carmina (but yes, the lighting is so crappy they could be any dark colour in that pic). Nice Rolex!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i dont mind resetting my watches, it more that between the aesthetics of the rolex and JLC regarding casual and dressy, i am pretty much covered and i am clearly leaning towards these two and leaving the panny in hiding.

this does not make me happy. :(

well, i like the rolex more, and based on what i paid and the subsequent panerai price increase, i think i can actually make $ on the 112, g-d willing.

4. no frills

no frills Senior member

I love that series from Pantherella. I think I have four variants of that one you have, but I have the ones that hit mid-calf. I have grown to love OTC socks for the whole no-sag all-day thing.

1 person likes this.
  5. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Speedy and Alden black shell captoes:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

^^^ Matching watch to boots - that's kicking it up a notch!

7. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Purely coincidence!

8. in stitches

lies!!!

also, looks good. :)

9. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Haha...well it's the only watch I have so... :rotflmao:

1 person likes this.
  10. ReversoLover

Ah rats about the shoes - quick aside, how does Carmina compare to Alden? Thank you about the Pepsi though!

11. no frills

no frills Senior member

Shoes? Watches? Needed a hat too given cold NYC weather.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. ReversoLover

I think it takes some real cajones to rock a fedora these days, so hat's off to you (harhar). But then again, if I had a Patek PCC I'd do/wear whatever the f*** I wanted too lol

1 person likes this.
  13. no frills

no frills Senior member

I find this amusing - started wearing fedoras to protect against the sun (looong story, and yes, the stingy brim doesn't exactly do much, does it, ahaha)... was quite a common thing for men to do so back in the 60s to early 80s. But now I'm a bit of a maverick because I'm one of the few who wears a fedora on a daily basis. Just like wearing suits to work in a predominantly business casual world. What's old is new I guess.

Shoes are Corthay, the Cocteau model. Mostly black but with accents of burgundy up top. Love this shoemaker.

Love the watch too. [​IMG]

14. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I have both and like both, but they are different. Carmina more sleek, Alden more substantial.

15. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

No way [​IMG] ! Total shock! I didn't think it would ever be on its way out. Sorry to hear that.

Makes sense. If its not getting wrist time, and it would only get wrist time if you wore it for the sake of giving it wrist time then its time to find it a new home. I had an Ex1 114270 for many years, and although I loved the design, that that it was a bit different than a DJ, and its bold Arabic numerals, for some reason it just wasn't getting any wrist time. So last year I found it a new home.

Classic...I love the Pepsi GMTs.

Hey guys,
    last night I went to a Cartier Watch event. Mrs. Dino and I had a great time.. They had some cool complicated pieces from their Fine Watchmaking Collection, Perpetual Calendars, Tourbillons, Chronographs, etc, that we were able to try on (sadly no free samples). They also had a watchmaker on hand to answer technical questions. Below are a few pix, hope you enjoy them. Please excuse the quality of the photos the lighting was far from ideal and they are in glass cases.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Gents,

http://www.bourneendauctionrooms.co.uk

This vintage Rolex is attracting interest ahead of auction on November 6th. Lovely story if you delve deeper, particularly when Rolex delivered watches to POWs in lieu of payment on release.

RAF Pilot Officer Gerald Imersen was one of the 'pengiuns' who would shuffle around the camp depositing soil from the tunnels made famous in the film The Great Esacape. Apparently in the draw for the order of escapees he received 172 which probably saved his life. The tunnel was discovered at number 76, 50 of those were later captured and executed.

Pilot Officer Imersen paid his bill to Rolex in 1947, this was delayed as the British Government refused to allow funds to be sent overseas. He paid £170 and wore the watch till he died in 2003 aged 85. He treasured his watch and wanted it to be sold to benefit his family.

Watches are so much more than being able to tell the time, humbling indeed.

17. ReversoLover

Seems like a really cool event Dino! Although the watches there aren't my taste, personally, I think they'll do all right. People go wild for that skeletonized schtick.

18. in stitches

i didnt see it coming either. had i not not bought the ToG, it wouldnt even be a question to keep it. but now, as you said, it may need a new home. i have gotten a solid year out of it, and many great pics, and i think i will at least break even on it, so its not a total watch tragedy.
    fantastic! thanks for sharing, dino.

19. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

It was definitely a great event. They had other watches besides the skeletonized stuff, the photos I posted were simply some of the photos I took that came out the best. Its always fun seeing new watches, meeting & chatting with other watch enthusiasts, hearing their ownership experiences, and learning a few new things about a company and its products. It was definitely an event worth attending, even if you aren't a Cartier fan or a person that likes skeletonized pieces.

Definitely, not a watch tragedy at all. You wanted a PAM, you got to scratch that itch, and you gained some personal ownership experience. So I think that alone made it worth purchasing. Sometimes we find a watch, as much as we lusted for it, just doesn't fit our needs or in with our lifestyle, and then its time to find it a good new home. Wishing you lots of luck with finding a new home for your 112.

20. no frills

no frills Senior member

Dino - love the Cartier pics. Looks like you had a fun time!

Stitchy - yeah hard to know in advance how other members of the watch family will fade once you add a newbie. Glad you're having fun with the ToG though!

Cold again. Time to break out the Schott moto. Alden Indys today. As RogerP notes, substantial shoes. Daytona to complete the supposedly "rugged" look.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.