1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wurger

wurger Senior member

Thanks for the support guys!

Yes, the boutique sales told me that they had to send to Swatch Service Centre Melbourne, since the service centre in Sydney closed down, talking about lack of interest in watches in Australia, so the turnaround time could be faster if I lived in Melbourne.

He told me that they cleaned up the crystal and did a partial service, and the service docket doesn't give any information other than stating the scratch and wear condition of my watch before repair. :confused:

So I called up Swatch service; the lady told me that they cleaned up the crystal, but found no damage in any parts, they did replace the gasket and tested the watch for timekeeping before returning the watch back to the boutique.

She also told me something that never crossed my mind before, while I never wore the watch in a shower, but by leaving the watch in the bathroom, the heat and steam creates a much bigger hazard to the gasket compare to wearing the watch while washing my hands and water flows onto the watch.

2. mimo

mimo Senior member

True. The other one to look out for is going outside from a cold, dry, air-conditioned building or car, into a warm and very humid climate. All the moisture from the air condenses on your watch just like it does on your sunglasses, and if the watch isn't airtight, inside as well as out. Was almost the end of Uncle Saddam...

Something to bear in mind with cameras, too. I now leave mine outside in the car to get hot before using it in humid weather.

3. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

On the wrist today - DeVille Hour Vision: [​IMG] [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Thanks man, I wish you luck acquiring one! Can't wait to see it posted here.

Thanks man. I have to say, one of my favorite things about the watch is that it is pretty universally liked. It is hard to take a strong stance against it.

Thanks Dino! I am working on building up my work wardrobe once again. I think I am good on the shoe game though!

Excellent! It looks like they did a superb job. It looks very lovely.

Very nice, the sapphire crystal sides are very cool. I am surprised I do not see more Deville's around, they are a great looking watch.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I haven't been to Singapore nor have a met anyone from there so I can't comment directly about that. But even 20 years ago, a friend of mine from Hong Kong said, everyone there has a Rolex, from the cab drivers to the waiters. Her family was very wealthy and they only bought new watches. She and her family would never consider pre-owned watches, cars or anything else. It always had to be brand new. She said her parents both had all gold "Presidents" because that's something all successful people in HK own, but they preferred and also owned Cartier, Chopards, and I remember her Dad giving her Mom an all gold Piaget Dancer on a gold bracelet. So Rolex being seen as common in Asia isn't something that is a new phenomena.

I agree a largely stable and unchanged product line up could be part of Rolex's problem. While I like and have considered a Blue/Black GMT myself (hoped to see one when I was in NYC last week, but never did), I haven't bought a Rolex in 8 years. Mostly, because I have owned several models that have interested me, and nothing new was grabbing my attention. So I branched out an bought watches from other brands. I'm sure other collectors in a variety of countries felt the same way if they have collected for a while.

The Patek market was the same in the US as you describe. Until roughly 10 years ago or so you could walk into any Patek dealer and get 30-35% off most Pateks, other than say a 5070 (and even those had dropped in value to about 19,000 on the secondary market for a few years once it was discovered that Patek was not ending production after making 250 of them).

Still, with such a large price difference between entry level Rolex and PP or Langes, I just don't know that PP or Lange are the real cause of a slow down in Rolex's sales new or used. In addition, with Patek making something like 50,000 watches and Lange making 5,000-8,000 I wouldn't think that would be a big chunk out the the million new watch sales Rolex intends to make. If something were going to affect Rolex's sales, be it new or used I would think it would be an increase in quality and innovative offerings from brands more similarly priced, such as Panerai, Cartier, IWC, Breitling, Omega etc.

As for sports watch vs. dress watch, I wasn't speaking just relative to "Western dress codes" which is why I mentioned "ALS doesn't offer a sports watch so functionally they don't have anything the competes directly with Rolex", and that the the Nautilus and Aquanaut are more delicate than a Sub/GMT/ or Ex2. A friend that owned a restaurant had a Nautilus for 4 years. He sold it because it could not withstand the abuse in the kitchen. It would end up sustaining some type of repetitive or strong shocks that would lead to the watch stopping or not keeping time properly, and then going back to the Henri Stern Agency for repairs every 6-8 months. He said he wore a Sub for 10 years doing the same tasks and never had an issue. I know people that have gone hunting, big game fishing for Marlins, auto racing, diving, and done underwater bridge repairs while wearing Rolex watches (usually Subs and SD for the water related activities). I myself have worn a Rolex for certain rugged activities, for which I wouldn't even consider wearing a PP, ALS, AP, VC etc. I know some people might say who cares and wear a PP to go hunting, big game fishing, or diving...and I've also seen a guy driving a Ferrari Testarossa in a snow storm in New England (but that is far from the norm). I think if someone is in the market for a sports watch to wear for very rugged activities and they specifically do not want a Rolex, most likely those buyers will consider offerings from IWC, Breitling, Panerai, Omega, or maybe some other brand with a reputation for building rugged watches.

Sure if a major market loses interest it will affect the secondary market in many places, but I'm just a little skeptical that PP and ALS have a lot to do with it.

1 person likes this.
  6. stafa

stafa Senior member

Interesting... I wasn't looking at Ex1 prices back then, but I recently just purchased an essentially flawless 114270 for $3600 with box, no papers. I wonder why prices dropped that much in such short time.

7. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:Thanks Newcomer.

8. no frills

no frills Senior member

Navy strap for my 3940P, switched today.

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  9. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Nuke, RP and Frills - well done all around!

RP - what are your thoughts about the Hour vision on a strap? I think it would kill.

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Well, I should clarify, although mine was 10 years old, it had hardly been worn, was in like new condition, still had shrink wrap on sides, and it had boxes, papers and hang tags. So a "Complete package" would add some value.

I love a navy strap on a watch with a moonphase. Its just a great way to compliment it. Great choice.

11. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Thanks bud. And I agree, I think that a strap would be awesome on the DeVille.

12. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

rnguy and Newcomer - agreed with you both. I tend to be a 'strap guy' in any event and most of my bracelet watches end up that way. I can see navy working well here with the blued sweep hand, but with a silver dial watch nearly anything will look good. The bracelet has hung in here longer than most simply because it appeals in a funky retro-cool kind of way. And I like the deliberate choice of non-flush end links so as to reveal more of the sapphire case.

13. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

great strap, frilly!
    ---
    thank you all for your very thoughtful and insightful replies. i very much enjoyed them. while in reality, it would be near impossible to know the answer for sure, i do think there is some truth to what my dealer friend in FL said.

without being labeled a horrible racist, i will try and relate the following. i was talking to a very nice SA in wempe once, and he told me that he gets busloads of asian tourists that walk into the store in hawaiian shirts and flip flops and have with them a written list of the watches they want to buy. almost always PP/ALS sometimes AP/VC or other very high complication models. and they buy whatever on the list is in stock, and walk out with one on the wrist. just like that.

as a person in jewelry business, almost without exception, the only requests i get for D-E color IF/FL quality stones, are from asians. there is a certain maybe prestige, or tiger mom must have perfection, mind set, if you may, (no offense) and this crowd seems to want whatever is considered best. very often they are not particularly educated about watches or diamonds, they just know what the best/most expensive item is, and thats what they want.

now, obviously this is a generalization, and there are plenty of asians that do not fall into this group, but the amount that do fall into this description is quite large. the asian market for luxury items is huge, and growing far faster than the american market from what i understand.

that being said, not everybody who wants the best/most expensive, can afford it at full retail from an AD, and i have noticed that the vast majority of my eBay customers that buy luxury watches are asian. i sell a very good amount of watches on ebay, more than enough to say that its pretty clear to me that the asian market, even ones in the US, are buying more high end watches than americans.

and once the watch is one your wrist, no one knows you got in on ebay. so dude #1 wearing X watch from AD is indiscernible from dude #2 in same watch he bought from ebay. it allows people to garner an image they want, at a discounted price. now, i dont buy watches for prestige, but many many people do. and i have no problem with it. buy what makes you happy. thats all that matters as far i am considered, and to each their own.

and, if there has been a mindset shift, and rolexes are looked at as passe by some, or as my FL guy said, peasant watches, it would make sense to me that there would be a shift away from them on ebay as well, and that could be a contributor to the previously achieved prices not being met.

or, not. who knows. but i think its a valid theory. and regardless, i hope sale prices pick up come mid november. :)

14. Chuckie Egg

Chuckie Egg Senior member

That is the norm in East Asian culture. The notion of buying secondhand goods (with the exception of collectibles) such as watches or clothing or shoes is not as acceptable as it is in the West. You won't find many charity shops in Hong Kong.

15. no frills

no frills Senior member

stitchy - was just at Wempe when I got my watch strap changed, and yes, the perception/characterization you wrote out above is shared by not just one of their SAs. Mind you, they very much respect and value (but of course!) their Asian customers too.

Also asked about general sales volume and busy-ness: they (and by "they" I mean two SAs and the President of Wempe, to define my limited sample) said that business tends to be slow from July through October and then begins to pick up again in November. Gift-giving season.

16. no frills

no frills Senior member

And today's get-up. You've seen the pic on the left of the 3940P with its awesome new navy strap. Just a simple gray/silver color palette today. GG Rothschild wing tips are in vintage chestnut.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. in stitches

of course they do. any SA would rather just swipe a card for a customer that wants 600k of watches than hem and haw with someone about which 3-6k watch to buy. whats not to like?

and as i said, i have no beef with this way of buying. its cool as shit. rock on asians watch buyers.

this is unquestionably true. what i am most curious about, is what prices will be achieved come holiday shopping time, and what price will be achieved afterwards. ie, whatever the cause of the present depression, will it be quickly passing, or will we/i see a lasting drop in pre-owned watch sales (not in volume, but price per unit).

also, looking sharp, buddy.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  18. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I'm asian and specifically my wife's family is Korean. They are extremely successful, and in point of fact all wear Rolexes. When we got married, I was generously given a watch by her family and knowing how much I loved watches, they let me choose my own gift (I chose JLC). From what I hear this is not the norm, as regularly son and daugthers in law will be gifted Rolexes outright. period.

Back to the point, I was having a discussion with my wife's family and they asked which watches I considered my favorite. I happily engaged in the conversation talking about Jaeger and IWC, but they honestly seemed stupefied that I did not have a Rolex in my collection.

Cartier seems to get a lot of love back East as well FYI.

1 person likes this.
  19. no frills

no frills Senior member

Thanks, buddy!

WHAT? You don't have a Rolex in your collection? That might as well be the equivalent of an "A-" (the Asian F). [​IMG]

Kidding of course - completely understand. I'm of Asian descent too. And yes to Cartier.

Guess I have to give props to my in-laws (of Chinese descent) for having Cartiers and Omegas in their collection... aside from Rolexes. They aren't complete brand whores, I guess! Wait. Are they? What's a non-brand-whore-y brand anyway?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    2 people like this.
  20. in stitches

very cool stuff, rn. thanks for sharing, and im glad they indulge you with your blasphemous watch choices lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.