1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

The 5270 never was my favorite Patek, based primarily on the location of the leap year indicator and the AM/PM indicator, as you mentioned. It always seemed a little bit south heavy to my eye.

But let me put it this way. When I first saw this on TPP, I though it was a fake. Damn, if that is not one of the ugliest dials I have ever seen from Patek, I do not know what is. The scrunchy tachymetre looks clumsy, and the balance of the watch is way, way, way off.

With that said, this is a rendering, and sometimes you have to see something in the flesh before making a final judgment. Who knows, maybe it will turn out kind of quirky, but endearing. But in my eyes, this looks like a classic case of trying to force a dial around a movement.

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

Latest pic from TPP, posted just a few hours ago. Actual model being developed.

What do you guys think now? Don't be distracted by the awesome navy blue strap...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  3. no frills

no frills Senior member

dddrees - that bend is real. Check actual model pic above.

Do not like diamond encrusted men's watches too as a matter of preference. I have yet to see one that captures my fancy.

It is largely because of the mechanism of the new CH29-535 movement, but it does bother me that the two subdials on "3" and "9" are... NOT right by "3" and "9." Instead, they are slightly south of the equator. Do you see that? If you didn't see it before, you can't unsee it now.

4. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Woah woah woah. I do not like. That is really, really, really strange. That is not my favorite design choice. Also, I really just don't care for the AM / PM indicator / leap year indicator. I think it makes the south look overly cluttered.

5. no frills

no frills Senior member

Special shout-out to mimo - don't think I've been ignoring your most awesome posts, you. Heeheeh.

Good advice here. I think my wife ran into issues with her watch because of precisely that situation you described above, going outside from a cold, air-conditioned area very quickly into a warm, humid place.

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:I quite agree.

7. no frills

no frills Senior member

Something to cleanse the palate then, after those last few pics of what appears to be a relatively undesirable design, at least given our sample of TWAT regulars here who have weighed in.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

thanks for the TTP pic, frills. while im sure it is al kinds of luxury like most all PPs, and i would be glad to own it, i can imagine buying it if i was in the market for a perp in that price range.

dont like the tachymeter. if they would get rid of it entirely i think it would make a world of difference.

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I am with you on that. Anytime you are spending north of $100,000 on a watch, it has to be as close to perfect as it is going to get.

1 person likes this.
  10. no frills

no frills Senior member

For me it's one of those things where yeah, if someone gave it to me for free then I certainly wouldn't kick it to the curb. But... there's enough going on with the strange aesthetic design choices that gives me pause. Makes me wonder if I could really live with elements of the design.

And at that price point there should be abso-frigging-lutely zero point zero zero doubt that you love everything - everything - about the piece.

Still, if the reports are right and it's a limited edition of 200 pieces, I am sure Patek won't have a problem selling this. Just... not for me.

11. in stitches

oh they will sell out for sure. and half or more will probably be to people who hope to use it as an investemnt because its a limited run.

12. no frills

no frills Senior member

Cloudy autumn day today. Base color palette is shades of brown/gold; PP 3970J on the wrist; bespoke jacket has details of red and blue in the subtle windowpane design, along with blue accents for selected buttonholes; shoes are Edward Green's Harrogate; go-to fedora is made of hemp. Quite like the texture play today.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

These posts seem better suited for WAYWRN, but if people enjoy seeing watches paired with outfits in this thread, then I'm happy to be wrong.

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

+1

I could live with the separate leap year & day/night indicator, but the rest is a disaster! WTF is with the tachymeter and the bend?

+1

Bend = Epic Failure! They ought to fire the idiot that came up with that idea.

15. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

Hey man, be a little open minded! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. no frills

no frills Senior member

Good point. And since I am a fan of the Nautilus model and Patek in general (despite my misgivings about the new 5270 design)... how about this model? The 5719/1G, retails in the high $200s/low $300s:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Pictures from the internet)

I hear this is a real "stealth" watch. 40mm case size.

I mean, you can even get it via Amazon. Wonder if it's eligible for Amazon Prime for the 2-day free delivery......

http://www.amazon.com/Patek-Philippe-Nautilus-White-Diamond/dp/B00EUI6XLS

(Read the customer reviews (there are seven) - heh heh)

1 person likes this.
  17. mimo

mimo Senior member

Why buy something you're not really happy about? Whatever the cost.

I actually think the tachymeter and even the weird bend in it, could be stylish and interesting; a deliberate asymmetrical quirk to push the envelope a bit. Really, I could live with that if it seemed like more of a choice and less of a compromise.

What gets me is that it looks like the whole face melted! All the subdials could be 2mm higher, i.e. the left and right centred over 3 and 9, and the day and date windows are small enough to go higher still. If the subdials were big, and distorting the tachymeter or whatever by that necessity, horizontally as well as at the bottom, it might look more natural. But it just seems like the thing needs a facelift!

18. in stitches

19. no frills

no frills Senior member

I think this is the same "evolution" in design that Patek went through when they discontinued the 3970 in 2004 and came out with the 5970. It took them "three years to design the 5970" because the "3970 was so iconic" but "they felt that they succeeded" (in coming up with a better model). I don't agree, at least aesthetically. Here's the 3970:

[​IMG]

When they came out with the 5970, they didn't change the base movement (CH27-70). They made the case size larger (from the 3970's 36mm to the 5970's 39mm), added a tachymeter, and made a few other changes (pushers became square from round/pump, lugs more flared):

[​IMG]

But now, see how the moonphase/date cuts off the tachy at the end. This bothered people like me, but looks fine in person and clearly does not bother the overall secondary market, as the 5970 in various metals trades at anywhere from a $20,000 to $30,000 premium versus comparable 3970 models. Also an issue of supply, since, for example, the 5970 in yellow gold was only produced for one year (2009) before the entire reference was discontinued. Probably less than 100 made.

But that whole tachy bending at the bottom of the new 5270 design seems... tacky. Pow!

20. no frills

no frills Senior member

I wish I thought about this one first, but for proper citation I must admit I read this from some other forum: the whole face resembles an emoticon for throwing up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.