• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant702

Reaction score
No no, I'm a different species altogether; I don't have the money for four-figure watches, look at those who do in envy and thus like articles like this.
"Envy," not a chance, most of the watches on this thread are obtainable! Most Americans have the" want it now attitude," be patient, work over-time, manage your money! This is for real: My best friend is a millionaire, we both make close to the same amount of money! How did he do it;. he's a cheap bastard! "dont give snobs any enjoyment, they love to hear how enviuos you are "

recondite

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the old school, new school distinction - but having owned a few Journes I don't find its association with the big time names to be appropriate. Journe has extraordinary talent and a keen eye for design, but the ownership experience of his watches does not live up to its promise. After all, what's the point of a watch if it fails to fulfill its primary function as a reliable timekeeper?

Dufour, on the other hand, is a master who inexplicably somehow falls under the radar.

That is unfortunate.

Which company do you think would be suitable for ranking as a "New School" big three as you understand the idea of it and comparable to Dufour and ALS?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I bought the 114270 pre-owned.  I love the 36mm size - perfect for my smallish 6.25" wrist.

great watch. sadly almost anything under 40mm i feel looks too dainty on my wrist.

In the end, Rolex makes a great product.  Its not intended to go after Patek or Lange's market share, and its not priced or finished the same way.

i always find myself saying pretty much that. you just cant argue with a rolex. its not the best watch, the nicest, or the fanciest. but it is exactly what they want to be and you really just cant argue with it. just my opinion.

i miss my rolex. im sad with each passing day that i dont own one any more.

Last edited:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

great watch. sadly almost anything under 40mm i feel looks too dainty on my wrist.
i always find myself saying pretty much that. you just cant argue with a rolex. its not the best watch, the nicest, or the fanciest. but it is exactly what they want to be and you really just cant argue with it. just my opinion.

i miss my rolex. im sad with each passing day that i dont own one any more.

Well, they're likely to visually bulk up the only 40 mm sports model with its original case lines remaining, so you may be in luck this spring if you feel it's too small. Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way, and I'm not at all small of wrist:

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On sizing and preferences:
Well, they're likely to visually bulk up the only 40 mm sports model with its original case lines remaining, so you may be in luck this spring if you feel it's too small. Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way, and I'm not at all small of wrist:

Belligero, is that your 116520 at 40mm (from this recent post and the last one)? Looking great!

Sizing is an interesting thing. I think of myself as having a wrist on the smaller size (6.25") so I feel fine wearing smaller pieces (my 3919J was 33mm and I love my 114270 and 3940P's 36mm dimensions), although since my arm bulks upwards past 17" my wife tells me I could wear bigger pieces and get away with it.

Sure enough, when I wear my Nautilus I feel like it doesn't wear large at all (43mm ear to ear), but then again I think this piece tends to wear flat/thin versus other sporty/SS watches.

I have yet to put a 116520 on my wrist but that may well be in my sights over the next year or so. As usual I'd like to see what it looks/feels like on my wrist before I make a decision.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On sizing and preferences: Belligero, is that your 116520 at 40mm (from this recent post and the last one)? Looking great! Sizing is an interesting thing. I think of myself as having a wrist on the smaller size (6.25") so I feel fine wearing smaller pieces (my 3919J was 33mm and I love my 114270 and 3940P's 36mm dimensions), although since my arm bulks upwards past 17" my wife tells me I could wear bigger pieces and get away with it. Sure enough, when I wear my Nautilus I feel like it doesn't wear large at all (43mm ear to ear), but then again I think this piece tends to wear flat/thin versus other sporty/SS watches.
I have yet to put a 116520 on my wrist but that may well be in my sights over the next year or so. As usual I'd like to see what it looks/feels like on my wrist before I make a decision.
As of twenty hours ago, it is. Thanks! I wasn't prepared for how much I'd like it after spending some time with it on the wrist. I've guess been subconsciously pining for one ever since I met an ex-Patek Philippe watchmaker who had moved to Norway to work with remotely operated subsea robotics, and who was wearing a 4130-movement Daytona. Sizing is a personal thing, but I'm now down to zero watches over 40 mm and I'm an ex-rower with 200 mm / 7 3/4" wrists. The 116520 is at my maximum shininess tolerance so 40 mm is definitely as big as I'd want to go with the design, or I'd risk continual magpie assaults. I've tried on the 43 mm 5712R (absolutely gorgeous) and I'd agree that it wears similarly to a 40 mm Daytona due to the slimness and shape. Lovely, lovely watches, those Nautili. I gave the current GMT II another chance, and decided that it was still too charmless and Grim-Reaper-like, despite the quality. It just doesn't suit my style — too modern.

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As of twenty hours ago, it is. Thanks! I wasn't prepared for how much I'd like it after spending some time with it on the wrist. I've guess been subconsciously pining for one ever since I met an ex-Patek Philippe watchmaker who had moved to Norway to work with remotely operated subsea robotics, and who was wearing a 4130-movement Daytona.

Sizing is a personal thing, but I'm now down to zero watches over 40 mm and I'm an ex-rower with 200 mm / 7 3/4" wrists. The 116520 is at my maximum shininess tolerance so 40 mm is definitely as big as I'd want to go with the design, or I'd risk continual magpie assaults.

I've tried on the 43 mm 5712R (absolutely gorgeous) and I'd agree that it wears similarly to a 40 mm Daytona due to the slimness and shape. Lovely, lovely watches, those Nautili.

I gave the current GMT II another chance, and decided that it was still too charmless and Grim-Reaper-like, despite the quality. It just doesn't suit my style — too modern.

Oh - the 116520 is new to you! Congratulations! It really looks good on you - wear it in good health!

I posted earlier in this thread that I was looking at chronograph types, and was looking at either the 116520 (or 16520 if I can find one) or the Omega Speedy Pro with a display back. Still haven't decided, but then I haven't pursued this with the zeal I applied to my previous acquisitions. Thanks for sharing your perspectives. I will probably stick to a 40mm 116520 if I end up going in this direction.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its easy to get wrapped up in the excitement of buying a new watch. However, I find that unless an amazing deal is offered that is too good to pass up, I tend to put a great deal of time and effort into researching and shopping for a watch. IMHO, thats part of the fun of collecting. If I sell or trade a watch its generally because they have not gotten much wrist time in more than a year. That way I know when its leaving my home to go to someone else's I'm not going to miss it (there are definitely watches I own that I would not sell ever, like my old 16520 Zenith based Daytona). I still adore the design of the 114270 Explorer and I'll always sneak a peak if I see one on someone's wrist. But sometimes our taste or needs change. I think if you are at peace with your collection...then for now don't rush into anything. Savor what you have. One year I bought a few watches and it seemed that by purchasing them in such a short period I didn't really have to time to appreciate all of their nuances and get to know them to the fullest.

The story about getting a Speedy Pro after mistakenly letting one go involves one of my good friends from college. I think he was too impulsive selling it to help fund the latest watch that caught his eye. I owned a Seamaster a long time ago, but never a Speedy Pro (but its a great watch). As mentioned, if you are at peace with your collection...enjoy it for now and take your time figuring out what you will want next.

Good perspective, as always. I will take my time figuring out what I will want next.

In the meantime, I wore my 114270 last night to the gym because I needed a second hand to time some rest between sets. Can sure take a beating, that little beauty.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"Envy," not a chance, most of the watches on this thread are obtainable! Most Americans have the" want it now attitude," be patient, work over-time, manage your money! This is for real: My best friend is a millionaire, we both make close to the same amount of money! How did he do it;. he's a cheap bastard!  "dont give snobs any enjoyment, they love to hear how enviuos you are "  

First, I'm not American; second, irony.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, since we're on the theme of some Rolex love, here's a shot of my two 36mm pieces side by side on my wrist.

Very different look, feel, and purpose. Love 'em both.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Congrats on your 116520! Looks great. It will be interesting to see if Rolex finally caves and gives those who have posted for a few years about wanting a 42mm sized Daytona what they want. The problem comes in that, like most companies they probably won't want to spend money to revise the movement, and when you stick a chronograph movement in a case thats larger than what the movement was originally intended for, the subdials give that away because they usually look too close to the center of the dial and the outer areas near the subdials look to empty. With an engraved bezel they can' t really cheat and throw a tychometer or pulsometer around the outer edge of the dial.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads