• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's my best Daytona pic:

Very nice photo of your Daytona! I didn't know you had one too. Great choice.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

Very nice photo of your Daytona! I didn't know you had one too. Great choice.

Thank you sir.

I am anxious to see whether Rolex decides to go with a full upsize as well.

Newcomer: nice Monster. Everybody should have one!

Great value for a (relative) pittance.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And also, some great discussions these last few pages. I started writing out a long response... and may send it out when I get the chance to polish it off. The Rolex stuff has been particularly stimulating.

I love this thread; it contains the best watch discussion I've ever seen on the internet. Looking forward to reading your thoughts!

Texx

Reaction score
That SS/dial color combo really pops! Good stuff.

x2 ...

Hey Newcomer, I think I read somewhere you was thinking about getting the Orient Bambino.

You should definitely get it. It is a pretty gorgeous watch. I sold one to a fellow SF member a few months ago I bought another one around Thanksgiving, I noticed my friend kept staring at it. I just took it off my wrist and gave it to him. He has been wearing it since then.

Suggestion for the best place to acquire one?

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I don't think they'll have to increase the diameter to get a bigger look if that's where the design is heading; consider the GMT and Submariner changes. While technically staying at 40 mm, they have a substantially larger appearance due to the thicker lugs and ceramic bezels, plus they're noticeably heavier.

What a difference that lug thickness and contour makes. That looks like a totally different piece compared to even the 39mm/40mm Explorer II with the somewhat more contoured lugs.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Suggestion for the best place to acquire one?

Go to Orientwatchusa.com. Use the 30% off code... Profit!

You get some free Orient loot as well.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What a difference that lug thickness and contour makes.  That looks like a totally different piece compared to even the 39mm/40mm Explorer II with the somewhat more contoured lugs.

Indeed. Compared to the previous 16610 model of the Submariner, the overall thickness and bezel diameter remained identical, and the case diameter increased 0.9 mm on the new 116610 model. The weight increased 135 g to 160 g, but the lug length tells the real story: 46.7 mm on the 16610 compared to 50.5 mm on the 116610. Those massive lugs really do make it a different watch.

ant702

Reaction score
Good point, ant. The crown is not the easiest to grasp, but I have found it to be better to work with than the TF that it replaced.

I had a devil of a time with that one, but it was overall a smaller watch than the Roadster (34X28 mm or thereabouts) and I'm sure that was the main reason why.

Since you mention it, I also remember having a conversation with a salesman at a Bailey Banks and Biddle several years ago, and he was saying that he thought the crown would dig into the wrist too much to be comfortable, but I haven't had any issues of that sort. In terms of it being oversized, I honestly found it appealing, again perhaps more from an aesthetic point of view rather than pure functionality.

To me, the way the date magnifier is shaped, and how it "rolls towards the crown" (there's got to be a better way to say that) -- I don't know, it kind of lends the piece a certain coherence that I always found appealing.

And as for the bracelet, I actually like quite a bit. It's sort of the reverse of my Daytona, having the smaller center link brushed, and the outsides polished. More importantly, and I suppose just by simple good fortune... it fits me very well...ever so slightly snug; and that's a blessing since there's no fine adjustment to speak of.
Looking back when I bought this watch I didnt think about the price much then! I got it as soon as it was available! Now I dont think it was worth 4G's, but I may be wrong! This reads like a keeper for you, congrats
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I don't think they'll have to increase the diameter to get a bigger look if that's where the design is heading; consider the GMT and Submariner changes. While technically staying at 40 mm, they have a substantially larger appearance due to the thicker lugs and ceramic bezels, plus they're noticeably heavier.

The thicker case, maxi dial with larger plots and larger hands also give it that bigger look as well.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my only issue with some of the larger cased/lugged rolexes, is that i feel the transition from case/lugs to bracelet is a bit harsh, not enough gentle taper. but that is really a nitpick.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The thicker case, maxi dial with larger plots and larger hands also give it that bigger look as well.

Yes, fat hands and markers definitely contribute to the chunkier look.

The Daytona, on the other hand, looks quite a bit more svelte than their other current 40 mm watches, to the point where I could swear the case diameter was a bit smaller.

(photos again for reference)

So — being the consummate nerd that I am — I measured the actual size of the watch.

Surprise! In reality, it's just over 38.5 mm at the bezel, which is the widest part of the case assembly excluding the crown guards and lugs. I'm really pleased about that since the classic look with modern features is what drew me to it in the first place; I think it's cool that it's closer to the original 37-ish mm models, and it makes stuffing a three-day power reserve in there all the more impressive.

Any ideas as to why it's referred to as 40 mm by Rolex and everyone else, though?

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, fat hands and markers definitely contribute to the chunkier look.

The Daytona, on the other hand, looks quite a bit more svelte than their other current 40 mm watches, to the point where I could swear the case diameter was a bit smaller.

So — being the consummate nerd that I am — I measured the actual size of the watch.

Surprise! In reality, it's just over 38.5 mm at the bezel, which is the widest part of the case assembly excluding the crown guards and lugs. I'm really pleased about that since the classic look with modern features is what drew me to it in the first place; I think it's cool that it's closer to the original 37-ish mm models, and it makes stuffing a three-day power reserve in there all the more impressive.

Any ideas as to why it's referred to as 40 mm by Rolex and everyone else, though?

That's excellent verification work. Glad to know that the Daytona is on the "svelte" side (my own personal preference). I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that the quoted measurement may be for its widest point, including the crown/guards. My Nautilus wears very thin/light but is supposedly 43mm... from ear to ear. Otherwise it's 38mm diagonal, I believe.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

Surprise! In reality, it's just over 38.5 mm at the bezel, which is the widest part of the case assembly excluding the crown guards and lugs. Any ideas as to why it's referred to as 40 mm by Rolex and everyone else, though?
Maybe the bezel isn't actualy the widest part? I'm not wearing my Daytona at the moment, but I kind of remember the side of the case is very rounded, not flat as on a Sub/GMT, and I think the case side at its widest point actually protrudes slightly beyond the bezel, while on the Sub/GMT the bezel protrudes a bit beyond the case (which has flat sides).

Take a look at the photos below. The watch appears to rest on the case side (as evidenced by the small shadow between the bezel and the book particularly under the number 80 on the bezel). If the bezel was the widest part of the watch, wider than the case, I would think it would make actual contact with the book.

Now look at this photo. Not quite the same angle in the photo, but it appears to be resting on its bezel.

One more example of a Daytona where the bezel does not appear to be touching the book thats under it.

Not 100% conclusive, but maybe those of you wearing a Daytona today can take a closer look at the sides of the case and or take some photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads