1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Maybe its a NYC thing. I have very rarely had ADs outside of NYC try a strong arm approach to get me to commit to a sale before telling me a price. As with you, that kind of deal is never going to happen with me. If the sales person can't give me straight answer on price...how much trust will I ever have in him. How can a build a lasting relationship with a sales associate who who I don't trust? Plain and simple, I can't.
    Really stupid tactic. Years ago, I went into a high end jeweler in Boston, with my father. They carried Patek, Vacheron, IWC, JLC, and a few other brands. My father was wearing an all gold Submariner. He asked to see a Patek. While we were there a woman came in and asked if they carried Rolex. A younger sales associate replied, "No, we only carry good brands." The older associate assisting my father knew he was wearing a Rolex and said, "You should be careful of what you say, we have guests."
    I've hit or miss service at Wempe. But I've never gotten a price from them that made them a serious contender on anything. I would have thought that if you were wearing a Breguet the jeans would be irrelevant, and they would be happy to wait on you. I guess not. Its not right, but it happens. My wife and I were in Vegas and she wanted an LV hand bag. It was hotter than hell, and we weren't really dressed up (although we didn't look like slobs or tourists that only buy junky T-shirts) when we went into the LV Boutique at the Wynn. No one could be bothered to talk to us. They were all standing around a register chatting and playing with their phones. I said to my wife ...no problem...we'll buy it at the Boston boutique...and we did.
    Its a fun place to see things...but in the more than 15 years I've occasionally been to the city, I've never ended up buying a watch there.
    Stitchy, I forgot to address this. I'm pretty familiar with the market for most watches (which are discounted, which are not). I've never presumed any seller HAS to discount an item. It's at their discretion. However, if its a watch I know no one pays MSRP for, I will certainly inquire about a discount if its a watch I want. If they say no, I'm not offended. I just know its not the right place for that watch. On the other hand I've purchased watches that I knew were not discounted, did not bother to ask about discounts (since I knew they didn't exist), wanted the watch and paid the MRSP.
    Hi Stitchy, no worries. I just wanted you to be clear that it wasn't like I walked in off the street and the sales associate at Cellini did not have ample time to evaluate whether I was a serious customer. I met him in the store. Informed him of my intentions, asked generally about discounting, and did not ask for an actual price until I was sure I wanted a Jumbo and I had done some homework. Then he and I had a few follow up phone calls. I wouldn't want some one to jerk me around in my business and I don't do that to others. I don't like playing games. I asked an up front honest question, all I ask is be polite and give me a fair and honest answer. Even if the guy said he couldn't discount it, that would be fine. I wouldn't buy from him as I don't need to over pay for an item, but I'd have more respect for him for being honest with me.

As for not undercutting the second guy...he was straight up and honest, and I like that. He gave me his best deal without excuses or playing games...the other sales person was a leech only looking to piggy back on the other guy's deal. If he couldn't come up with his best price on his own, he certainly should not be rewarded for matching the other guy or for beating him by a few dollars when he never would have done it on his own. If it cost me a few extra dollars, well I think the good sales man earned it, as I could see he is the kind of guy I could do business with again. I'd rather give my business to the guy that treated me properly. If we all only shop with the guys that undercut the guys that makee an effort to give a best price, eventually the guy originally giving the best price will be put out of business and we will be stuck dealing with the slimy used car tactics sales person.

Yes I agree, the person just seeking a price to use to gain leverage for negotiating with a friend/relative is wasting a sales associates time.

I don't think sales people and customers should be adversaries, although sometimes I'm sure both sides see it that way. As I stated before, with regard items that can be negotiated, if everyone is reasonable and up front, consumers and sales people can all feel like winners and create a relationship that fosters both sides looking forward to doing business together again.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

:censored: :censored: :censored:

My JLC died again at 11:45. Poop.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  3. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

My $.02 on why NYC sucks for buying a watch, if you have other options-

1> Multiple AD's very close to each other. So getting them to compete with each other is much easier
    2> High overhead in general, so they have a tighter margin
    3> There are a ton of people with money that just don't want to leave the Island to save $5k on a $100k watch.

I suspect if you have a relationship at a place like Wempe (aka Frilly), it's a completely different story.

4. fclund

fclund New Member

Sorry for the bad picture, but I bought this, in my taste, very cool steampunk-kinda watch from Etsy a couple of weeks ago and got it yesterday. The picture doesn't do the watch justice, since it's more gold-like in reality. Looks very cool!
    [​IMG]

My other, and somewhat different watch, is something I bought of the Cassiopeia shop (I live in Denmark) and is this Danish "Skagen" watch. It's kinda "blingy" I guess, but goes really well with a white shirt!
    [​IMG]
    Link to the product here http://www.cassiopeia-shop.dk/skagen-357xlsss/

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  5. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

As another used to low volume high value sales I find there are buyers, time waster and the vast majority in between. The person who you know and who has bought from you before will get premium service and the best price you are prepared to offer, which may not be as low as someone elsewhere but is your best price. The person you have dealt with before and who has never bought is treated politely but you wish he would not keep asking for prices just to beat down whoever he always buys from so after a while your price to him is not the best. Every one else should receive very good service and certainly until you know better a good market discount. We have the advantage of selling a product that while similar to other products is not available as an identical item from multiple distributors.

There is a watch shop in London on whose adverts it says "don't come to us until you have been to every one else" - you know you are going to get the treatment that Dino had from Cellini from them.

6. wurger

wurger Senior member

Kudos for not undercutting the 2nd guy, any sales is a interpersonal transaction of relationships and respect. In the end of the day, if you like the SA, you are more likely to buy from him even though he doesn't necessary provide the lowest price; same goes the other way, if the SA likes you, he is more likely to give you the best price.

I know there is a the saying never buy stuff off friends and family, but if they do try to take advantage of you due to your relationship, then they are absolutely trash and not worth keeping.

7. wurger

wurger Senior member

Yeah, totally agree, if someone is just tooling you as a leverage, they ain't showing you respect and they simply don't deserve a SA's time for a quote.

However, it's vitally important that SA don't simply judge a book by its cover, only through interaction with the customer that the SA can discover those facts. But then that takes experience and training.

And Dino gave the first SA every opportunity to do so, and he just failed to grasp the compelling points that Dino as a customer is looking for, thus failed in that sale.

1 person likes this.
  8. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

WTF?

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I don't know what is going on. At ~11:45 p.m. (within a minute or two in either direction), the watch dies. Contacting the AD I bought it from, and it looks like I will be sending it back to Richemont. It has happened probably 10 times now. Must be some problem with the date mechanism maybe?

I will keep y'all informed. Also, for those that have sent a watch back for servicing... how did you package it up?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  10. in stitches

That sucks. :(

Are you going to be sending it back in the box or by itself? Either way, if you're doing it through the AD they should know how to package it 100% correctly.

11. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Damn man, that's a huge bummer. I have a single foam watch roll case that Breitling sent my watch back in once after service, so that's what I use. UPS declared value only.

12. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

You know, I may just send it back to the Richemont Service Center, since it is only a few hours away from me. It will at the very least be less expensive than sending it to Philadelphia. I was going to send it in the original box, but I may just buy some sort of transporting thing. I will call the JLC concierge and ask what they recommend.

UPS declared value, hmm, I will have to look into that. I need to pick up a foam watch roll type of thing.

It is very weird. I posted a thread on WUS, and one of the posters said he had a similar problem with the watch. His watch was having problems being manually wound as well, which I noticed was an issue for mine. Pretty lame.

13. in stitches

i only once sent a watch back to the manufacture. my B&M. it also just stopped. it was under warranty so i sent it through the local AD. not the AD it was purchased from, as it was an engagement gift from my wife who bought it elsewhere, but the local AD was happy to help. they took care of shipping and the watch was repaired for free and in under 3 months iirc. never had another issue with it.

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

That is good to hear! I am going to ship it off tomorrow. JLC customer service has been great so far. They have given me their FedEx account, and said they would take care of insurance. They also said the watch should be back within a week or two. Very pleased so far.

15. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

That's great, good luck with the rest.

16. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

BTW, I would never send a watch Fedex or UPS without 3rd party insurance.
    Fedex and UPS will gladly take your money for as much insurance as you want however it only covers something like $500 for jewelry.
    USPS Registered mail with insurance is the way to go. It takes a while but is relatively inexpensive.

17. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Unless it has changed (and please tell me if it has!), that $500 limit is for international shipments containing jewelry.

18. in stitches

glad to hear, buddy!

19. mimo

mimo Senior member

Best of luck, Nuke.

20. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Thanks all, I will be sure to keep you updated. Doing one more experiment today, then off to Fort Worth it goes!

The JLC concierge told me not to send it back in the box. She said bubble wrap it and send it in a box. I have decided I am going to wrap it in a spare dust cloth, bubble wrap it, put it in a smaller box, put the smaller box in a bigger box with packing peanuts, and ship it off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.