The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Congrats on your 116520! Looks great. It will be interesting to see if Rolex finally caves and gives those who have posted for a few years about wanting a 42mm sized Daytona what they want. The problem comes in that, like most companies they probably won't want to spend money to revise the movement, and when you stick a chronograph movement in a case thats larger than what the movement was originally intended for, the subdials give that away because they usually look too close to the center of the dial and the outer areas near the subdials look to empty. With an engraved bezel they can' t really cheat and throw a tychometer or pulsometer around the outer edge of the dial.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Different purposes, but both look great!

3. ant702

ant702 Senior member

If I where to buy another Omega, this would be the one! Best color combo of this model, I thought[​IMG] Thanks for the photo!

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Belligero - great daytona.

5. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Good point, ant. The crown is not the easiest to grasp, but I have found it to be better to work with than the TF that it replaced.

I had a devil of a time with that one, but it was overall a smaller watch than the Roadster (34X28 mm or thereabouts) and I'm sure that was the main reason why.

Since you mention it, I also remember having a conversation with a salesman at a Bailey Banks and Biddle several years ago, and he was saying that he thought the crown would dig into the wrist too much to be comfortable, but I haven't had any issues of that sort. In terms of it being oversized, I honestly found it appealing, again perhaps more from an aesthetic point of view rather than pure functionality.

To me, the way the date magnifier is shaped, and how it "rolls towards the crown" (there's got to be a better way to say that) -- I don't know, it kind of lends the piece a certain coherence that I always found appealing.

And as for the bracelet, I actually like quite a bit. It's sort of the reverse of my Daytona, having the smaller center link brushed, and the outsides polished. More importantly, and I suppose just by simple good fortune... it fits me very well...ever so slightly snug; and that's a blessing since there's no fine adjustment to speak of.

6. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Dammit!

"no frills" is giving me another Nautilus stiffy.

What the hell?!

Here's my best Daytona pic:

[​IMG]

7. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

Congrats on the Daytona! That is the beauty of this hobby. There are so many watches out there, unfortunately we can't own or like them all. :nodding:

Speaking of the GMT, what are you guys wearing today?

[​IMG]

8. no frills

no frills Senior member

Suhweet! Glad to see more Daytonas showing up in this thread lately!

Keith T, happy to oblige. I was "feeling a bit blue" (and green) today, so I took this pic.

[​IMG]

To paraphrase these timeless words of wisdom: "When a (watch) walks in with an itty bitty (case) and that round thing (?) in your face, you get SPRUNG!"

9. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

awesome shot and boots. Dalton?

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Orange Monster Sunday Funday:

[​IMG]

Nothing too fancy. I love this damn watch though.

11. no frills

no frills Senior member

That SS/dial color combo really pops! Good stuff.

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

nice handwriting too. :)

13. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Thanks WG!

I like any GMT, and the current version is possibly the best travel/all-around watch on the market, but I thought it was time to diversify a bit with the white dial. Wearing the one on the right today, though... the first watch I really wanted and still my favourite.

[​IMG]

:cheers:

14. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Thanks!

I don't think they'll have to increase the diameter to get a bigger look if that's where the design is heading; consider the GMT and Submariner changes. While technically staying at 40 mm, they have a substantially larger appearance due to the thicker lugs and ceramic bezels, plus they're noticeably heavier.

[​IMG]

15. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Thanks! It is a silly little watch, but it is good fun. I am wearing it on a army-green nato right now.

It is a bit petite, but nice and feminine. Haha.

And also, some great discussions these last few pages. I started writing out a long response... and may send it out when I get the chance to polish it off. The Rolex stuff has been particularly stimulating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.