• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score

Got in touch. Was gonna visit yesterday but our schedules didn't work out. Will try to fix an appointment this week and report back.
Aren't they all hand wound? I always associate that crown with a hand wound movement.

Can totally recommend Hughes. He's done about 10 straps and several leather goods large and small for me to date. I think he is the best leather artisan in Singapore and world-class.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Very nice. Such simplicity is rarely seen these days.

for simplicity, i have always wanted one of these.

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

johanm

Reaction score
Gents, would like to hear your thoughts on the your favorite of the following 5 watches:

- Blancpain Fifty Fathoms

- Panerai 233

- IWC Portuguese (5001-09, black dial)

- IWC Big Pilot (5009, not 5002/5004)

- AP Royal Oak (15400, black)

Putting aside considerations of price or versatility, which is the most beautiful? (Am leaning a couple ways, but interested in hearing views of SF)

Last edited:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Gents, would like to hear your thoughts on the your favorite of the following 5 watches:

Not bad, but a bit loud

would be great except for the idiotic power reserve dial on the front

I like this, but I would prefer the dark blue dial on this.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tough call. the 50 fathoms is not m fave, the other 4 are all awesome. depends on my mood.

Cylon

Reaction score

- Panerai 233

Putting aside considerations of price or versatility, which is the most beautiful? (Am leaning a couple ways, but interested in hearing views of SF)

I have no desire to be rude but I dislike all of them.

1. I'm not much a fan of the BP FF, but if I did go that route, I'd be sure to get one with the wonderful little "no radiations" logo
2. I dislike panerai
3. The portuguese is the nicest one here
4. I'd rather get a Stowa Flieger
5. I've never liked the Royal Oak.

The only caveat here is that I have a smaller wrist (approx 7'), and so I think that's why I shy away from your choices here.

Regardless, happy choosing and let us know what you decide!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I think you should take Cant Kill Da Rooster's advice re: JLC divers. You may like what you see!!

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:sadstitch:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

- Panerai 233

Hi Johanm,

Some interesting pieces there. However when it comes to beauty, I only see two in the bunch that are beautiful and which I would seriously consider buying. Each is truly and iconic design and built for a different purpose. I love the Royal Oak. Some people love it, some hate it, but it created the genre of steel luxury sport watches. The octagonal bezel with white gold hex bolts is distintive and elegant while remaining sporty. Its a watch that upon close inspection you can see how much effort and care goes into creating each perfect beveled edge, each brushed surface and how they play against the polished surfaces. The 15400 also has a beautifully finished inhouse movement. If you do not have a RO it would make a great addition to your collection. I recently bought the 2012 ultrathin RO 15202 and I love this watch. Everything about it is on a level I have rarely seen with other sport watches.

The other watch I think is beautiful, is the Panerai 233. The design is iconic, it stands out from other sport watches with its cushion shaped case and lever mechanism for the crown. In addition, the 233 uses a nice in house movement. I really like its looks, but I just don't find a Panerais all the comfortable. Still its a great looking watch.

Blancpain, makes a high quality watch. However, I find them a bit boring. The 50 Fathoms is a nice watch, but I just don't love anything about it enough to buy one. To me its the sort of watch that if you put a Chopard Mille Miglia logo, Tag logo, or a logo from some other brand it could easily be from someone else.

IWC...I used to like their old pilot chronographs the 3706 and 3713 (which were simple and reasonably priced). However, there is nothing from their current line up that I find even remotely attractive. The Big Pilot is actually one of the least attractive and least comfortable watches in my eyes, but with big watches being "In", its size alone seems to have created quite a following. As for the Portugese 5001-09, I think are many watches I find more attractive and more versatile. The 5001-09 is a piece that I just find boring. It also seems to lack any true purpose. Its not really dressy, its not really sporty, its just another big watch without much use to me. I'd rather have a Portugese Chrono if I had to go with something from the Portugese line. If I were set on getting something from IWC, I'd probably go vintage.

Good luck shopping and let us know what you decide.
Best regards,
Dino

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads