• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, when it comes down to it, i agree with dino, cept i give more love to the portuguese. and in the end i think i give the slight edge to the RO.

Happy shopping!

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd rather have a Portugese Chrono if I had to go with something from the Portugese line.  If I were set on getting something from IWC, I'd probably go vintage.

Interesting. I always liked the sub dial placement on the 7 day better but you make some good points about it missing the mark in some ways.

Also, when it comes down to it, i agree with dino, cept i give more love to the portuguese. and in the end i think i give the slight edge to the RO.
Happy shopping!

Love or hate the RO, it has wrist presence without being ostentatious.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:nodding:

Cylon

Reaction score
I must agree with you there

but I think I'd rather get a dornbluth or a stowa as stand in for some of those choices

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy shopping!
Hi Stitch, only a slight edge? Man we need to chip in and get you some good glasses...just kidding! I might choose a different model of RO over the 15400. However, after years of comparing various watches and brands, ROs are miles above the Portuguese watches in terms of workmanship, finish and overall quality. So IMHO the RO is in a different class than the Portugese.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love or hate the RO, it has wrist presence without being ostentatious.
+1
I think I'd rather get a dornbluth or a stowa as stand in for some of those choices
Really??? I don't even like the Portguese watch (it would be my last choice out of the ones suggested by the OP) and yet I think I'd choose one over a Dornbluth or Stowa. Which Dornbluth or Stowa would you choose?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hi Stitch, only a slight edge?  Man we need to chip in and get you some good glasses...just kidding!  I might choose a different model of RO over the 15400.  However, after years of comparing various watches and brands, ROs are miles above the Portuguese watches in terms of workmanship, finish and overall quality.   So IMHO the RO is in a different class than the Portugese.     

lol, i just meant a slight edge over the panny option, not the IWC. if it was a diff RO, it would be the clear winner vs the others, imo. :)

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol, i just meant a slight edge over the panny option, not the IWC. if it was a diff RO, it would be the clear winner vs the others, imo.
smile.gif
Hi Stitch,

Thanks for clarifying which watch you were saying the RO had a slight edge over. Initially I was thinking we would have to contact the DMV and tell them your sight was gone and to revoke your driver's license.
lol8[1].gif

I think PAM is a great watch in many ways and is a very strong design, so I can see you really appreciating what it has to offer.
cheers.gif

Last edited:

GetSetJetSet

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a couple of high end watches that are great for travel, but I don't like wearing such expensive watches to third world countries. I was wondering if you guys could recommend some great travel watches at lower prices. Something under 5k please. Thanks! Also, why can't I post a new thread?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dino,

:fistbump:

glad i saved a trip to the DMV (or here, MVA) i hate that place.

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I wouldn't kick any of those 5 pieces out of my watch box, but maybe more than anything I'm struggling with the OP's choice of the word "beautiful".

It's like a trick question to me. For some reason, it just doesn't seem to apply to this particular group.

I can look at certain Pateks (mainly chronos, or a world timer ?) and think..."Wow, that's beautiful".

Or even a vintage sub with just the right patina....yes....beautiful.

I'd be proud to wear any of those 5 watches, I really would, but the b-word...it just doesn't work for me here.

Now if you're asking me to rank them? Personal taste:

Royal Oak (slightly)>50 Fathoms>233>Port>Big Pilot

I've always loved the heritage/backstory on the FF in regards to dive watches-- and I love the sapphire bezel and even the sailcloth strap....shrink it down to say, 42mm and I'd be all over that one like a now-defunct Twinkie. Are you listening BlancpaiN? LOL.

Last edited:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Johanm,
Some interesting pieces there.  However when it comes to beauty, I only see two in the bunch that are beautiful and which I would seriously consider buying.[...]The 5001-09 is a piece that I just find boring.  It also seems to lack any true purpose.  Its not really dressy, its not really sporty, its just another big watch without much use to me.  I'd rather have a Portugese Chrono if I had to go with something from the Portugese line.  If I were set on getting something from IWC, I'd probably go vintage.

Good luck shopping and let us know what you decide.
Best regards,
Dino

I wouldn't kick any of those 5 pieces out of my watch box, but maybe more than anything I'm struggling with the OP's choice of the word "beautiful".[...]

Sounds about right to me, too.

I'd definitely wear any one of those five, but buying them is a different story. With the exception of the RO and possibly the FF, they seem a bit unfocused design-wise to me, almost as if they were the luxury SUVs of the watch world. Apologies for the trite car comparison. Although there's no way I'd take the chrono Portuguese over an auto, Dino's comment about it being neither dressy nor sporty is exactly how I feel about it too, and it applies to some of the others as well.

In any case, out of those five, I'd easily pick the AP.

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score

Hi Johanm,

Some interesting pieces there.  However when it comes to beauty, I only see two in the bunch that are beautiful and which I would seriously consider buying.  Each is truly and iconic design and built for a different purpose.  I love the Royal Oak.  Some people love it, some hate it, but it created the genre of steel luxury sport watches.   The octagonal bezel with white gold hex bolts is distintive and elegant while remaining sporty.  Its a watch that upon close inspection you can see how much effort and care goes into creating each perfect beveled edge, each brushed surface and how they play against the polished surfaces.  The 15400 also has a beautifully finished inhouse movement.  If you do not have a RO it would make a great addition to your collection.  I recently bought the 2012 ultrathin RO 15202 and I love this watch.  Everything about it is on a level I have rarely seen with other sport watches.   

The other watch I think is beautiful, is the Panerai 233.  The design is iconic, it stands out from other sport watches with its cushion shaped case and lever mechanism for the crown.  In addition, the 233 uses a nice in house movement.  I really like its looks, but I just don't find a Panerais all the comfortable.  Still its a great looking watch.

Blancpain, makes a high quality watch.  However, I find them a bit boring.  The 50 Fathoms is a nice watch, but I just don't love anything about it enough to buy one.  To me its the sort of watch that if you put a Chopard Mille Miglia logo, Tag logo, or a logo from some other brand it could easily be from someone else.

IWC...I used to like their old pilot chronographs the 3706 and 3713 (which were simple and reasonably priced).  However, there is nothing from their current line up that I find even remotely attractive.  The Big Pilot is actually one of the least attractive and least comfortable watches in my eyes, but with big watches being "In", its size alone seems to have created quite a following.  As for the Portugese 5001-09,  I think are many watches I find more attractive and more versatile.  The 5001-09 is a piece that I just find boring.  It also seems to lack any true purpose.  Its not really dressy, its not really sporty, its just another big watch without much use to me.  I'd rather have a Portugese Chrono if I had to go with something from the Portugese line.  If I were set on getting something from IWC, I'd probably go vintage.

Good luck shopping and let us know what you decide.
Best regards,
Dino

Dino, how robust do you find the RO 15202? Do you wear it for gentle sports, or to the pool perhaps? Its 50m WR has always bugged me. In that regard, the VC Overseas is a much more suitable sporting watch.

Totally agree on IWC - what's up with them and their enormous sizes? Seems a little cheap to have an entire line-up of gigantic, thick designs. Their vintage cal 89 watches were certainly their zenith in terms of design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads