• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nprose

Reaction score
The new look book…WOOF. What happened to look books being inspiring/beautiful? Dear creative directors, consumers want to feel like they’re buying a little into a fantasy…especially when paying Drake’s looney prices. I want to feel like maybe I’ll look like beautiful Italian man scooting through sunny Rome…not some tattoo covered hipster bartender slouching around a grey and dreary England park bench….
Agreed, it's so bad, as most of the recent lookbooks have been outside of the Hong Kong one.

Similar to many of you, I'm buying less and less of Drake's the last couple years and not feeling the same lust for what they're making. Could be the pricing going up every season + the bad lookbooks. Could be I'm not locked inside my house wishing I was out somewhere more exotic in the world. More and more I find their clothes don't really work for real life. I don't go out to dinner wearing a full suit. I cherish my safari style overshirts, a rugby, and the suede boots I bought before all the craziness. Their pricing truly is obscene, and it bears repeating given it appears to be rising every release. Shout out to Die Workwear who quit the thread due to too much pricing talk lol

letsgofire

Reaction score
I would buy more Drake’s if I lived in the UK.

Their standard Oxford is 175GBP or approximately $220 USD. The same on the US site is $295 or about $325 with Chicago taxes.

That 50% increase is material. I’ll probably hold off on non-seasonal buys until my next London trip into the autumn.

The last time Americans had to pay a tax like this from the Brits we threw a lot of tea away…

On a positive note I’m hopeful that Drake’s has some new madras options this year. I seem to buy at least one madras shirt each year.

astrobuoy

Reaction score
I would buy more Drake’s if I lived in the UK.

Their standard Oxford is 175GBP or approximately $220 USD. The same on the US site is $295 or about $325 with Chicago taxes.

That 50% increase is material. I’ll probably hold off on non-seasonal buys until my next London trip into the autumn.

The last time Americans had to pay a tax like this from the Brits we threw a lot of tea away…
I was curious about this too (NYC taxes make it dizzying high). For a recent purchase I used an online proxy to buy from the UK store (there are a bunch of these but I ended up using Forward2Me). Aside from the significantly lower cost on higher-priced items, you can opt to ship to their tax-free warehouse in Guernsey, which means the prices are even lower than what you see on the UK site as those also include tax. The shipping cost is higher for using their tax-free warehouse but the difference is negligible if you’re doing a multi-item order. To see the Guernsey site just select that as your location at the bottom banner of the Drake’s site.

EDIT: forgot to mention, you can also opt to have it declared a gift, if you’re ok with the risk for the customs fee savings

Last edited:

Wim

Reaction score
The new look book…WOOF. What happened to look books being inspiring/beautiful? Dear creative directors, consumers want to feel like they’re buying a little into a fantasy…especially when paying Drake’s looney prices. I want to feel like maybe I’ll look like beautiful Italian man scooting through sunny Rome…not some tattoo covered hipster bartender slouching around a grey and dreary England park bench….
Everyone to their own fantasies, I suppose. Maine, Scotland, Brittany, the English coast (minus the wastewater) are some of my favorite places, including the chill, the mist, the rain, the lobster, the oysters... When I saw the latest lookbook, I thought Drake's was on to me, and this was a scary new form of personalized content!

Reaction score
Nothing in the lookbook looks 'Spring' to me. They look 'gloomy English days' at best.
Possibly too many photos with grey clouded skies. I think the model doesn't help by looking overly serious and concerned, almost like being forced to have his photo taken - he should be happy with all those outfits he's been gifted.

kid1002

Reaction score
Yeah. Would love to see some smiling going on. The brand should be about having good times with pals and the country.

These are out of season but the two below are of my recent favorites:

Treble

Reaction score
Interesting the Charles loafer has had an upgrade in make, price has risen of course. I guess they see people in the EU dropping €900 on Alden (often awkward to find locally) and fancy some of that.

slows2k

Reaction score
Interesting the Charles loafer has had an upgrade in make, price has risen of course. I guess they see people in the EU dropping €900 on Alden (often awkward to find locally) and fancy some of that.

I feel like the refinements don't work well in something so inherently casual that is meant to be the alternative to Alden's LHS. Definitely not a fan of the upgrade over the original version, but honestly I would rather have the Alden or C&J Boston over either, anyway. I'll say I do think their foray into shoes is a misstep. No reason they could not have stayed with Alden, CJ, or Astorflex for the chukkas.

Treble

Reaction score
I feel like the refinements don't work well in something so inherently casual that is meant to be the alternative to Alden's LHS. Definitely not a fan of the upgrade over the original version, but honestly I would rather have the Alden or C&J Boston over either, anyway. I'll say I do think their foray into shoes is a misstep. No reason they could not have stayed with Alden, CJ, or Astorflex for the chukkas.

I agree - the changes don't really appeal to me. Using Cordovan possibly but I just don't like the Cyclops eye thing.

They can make more money on their own line of shoes and its a diversification that seems to make sense. I like the Chelsea boot they did but seem to have discontinued.

slows2k

Reaction score
I agree - the changes don't really appeal to me. Using Cordovan possibly but I just don't like the Cyclops eye thing.

They can make more money on their own line of shoes and its a diversification that seems to make sense. I like the Chelsea boot they did but seem to have discontinued.

You're right, I did like the chelsea boot but it does seem to have disappeared. I do like the chukkas too, but not at the uncharge over astorflex. I definitely feel like there is no reason at all to buy the loafers over CJ Boston (easier to get in the UK than Alden, it seems). There's no value add. Many expensive things from Drakes at least offer unique value, IMO their shoes do not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads