• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone walked off or out of a Vass Dainite sole? Until then, I suggest we let the people who have been crafting shoes for 40 years decide the methods of production.
If you feel that a full handstitch is necessary, either request it or opt for another brand.

I do see the point that if the shoe is fully handmade and handwelted, why glue a sole? But it's obviously plenty strong and likely a waste of labour to handstitch through that tough rubber. I'd offer it an an option, for more $ if I was Vass. See how important it is to people then.

How would you feel if Vass started glueing on their leather soles and only stitching the toe?

JayH

Reaction score
Vass didn't always offer Dianite soles. When they looked into the option they found out that the awls would break when stitching the Dianite sole on to the entire welt. Hence the stitching only in critical areas.

My understanding of Vass is that traditional materials will always be made with traditional techniques. Though old world and new world don't always integrate completely.

Last edited:

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you "want" a fully hand stitched sole, durability hasn't proven to be in question.
At least not what I have read.

You have every right to not buy, or request a full handstitch (if they do it).

I don't see what the issue is. Do you feel like you are being mislead because they sell a handmade, handstiched product? It obviously works for Vass and StC, and if it didn't I doubt they would be offering it as a sole option.

I would hinder a guess that Dainite is a ***** to stitch by hand, and this may be the best solution they found.

Not here to start a war. But, In my opinion a full hand stitched rubber sole isn't the reason, nor a deal breaker whether I'm buying Vass or not.

As always, we all have our own reason

Last edited:

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand that Vass hand stitches the welt to a mid leathersole and then glues the rubber outsole and hand stitchs it at the forepart to secure it. I rather have my rubber outsoles glued and stitched, but I am sure Vass does a good job there so I would not care much.

On the other hand, I think they want to keep untouched the stamp of Vass= 100% Hand Made shoes, Vass=Tradition and Old Techniques, Vass= No Machines. It is very easy for them to buy an E-Rapid machine and do the work. A matter of company values?.

free

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking to purchase a pair of size 41 U last shoe trees. Does any follow forum member in the US happen to have a spare pair to sell? Has anyone tried ordering Vass lasted shoe trees from US dealers such as NMWA?

Thanks!

lol

Reaction score
I am going to Budapest next week. I will make time to check out a few hand made shoes stores there.
I usually wear Mephisto and high end sneakers, so I don't know if I will get any pair. From pictures on
the net, the shoes look beautiful, but my feet hurt when I try shoes that have leather soles.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am going to Budapest next week. I will make time to check out a few hand made shoes stores there.
I usually wear Mephisto and high end sneakers, so I don't know if I will get any pair. From pictures on
the net, the shoes look beautiful, but my feet hurt when I try shoes that have leather soles.

That happened to me too at first. You just have to get used to it. Your ligaments and tendons and foot muscles will strengthen with time, and you'll come to find them very comfortable.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That happened to me too at first. You just have to get used to it. Your ligaments and tendons and foot muscles will strengthen with time, and you'll come to find them very comfortable.

Interesting. I never knew that was the case but then again I've been wearing leather soled shoes since forever.

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After going back and forth on F last sizing (43 - 43.5), my last two 43s have been perfect.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting. I never knew that was the case but then again I've been wearing leather soled shoes since forever.

I wore only squishy rubber and EVA soled shoes all my life until 4 years ago, when I bought my first pair of leather soled dress shoes. For the first few weeks my joints were stiff and achey, but then they adapted.

Our joints were meant to be natural shock absorbers, and having our soles do that for them causes them to atrophy a little.

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, don't expect a pair of proper shoes to feel quite as comfortable as a pair of sneakers, especially over the course of a day.

I'm almost always in leather soled shoes, but as much as I love them, they'll never hold a candle comfort wise to my Chucks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads