The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

They're made by Cheaney.

2. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Thank you, all, for the recommendations for Toronto sights and dining.

In our three nights sojourn, we took in The St. Lawrence Market on a Saturday, the Art Gallery of Ontario (and the Turner show, which we had missed seeing in London), the Royal Ontario Museum, the CN Tower (in the midst of a United Way event, such that it was overrun with happy people in sweat clothes who had just walked/run up the tower for charity), the Gardiner Museum, the charms of Queen's Park at sunset, and the sights of Bloor St. West (hitting Leatherfoot, Harry Rosen, and Holf Renfrew), as well as Queen St. West (my one souvenir of Toronto is a hat from Goorin Bros. - it will make it to WAYWRN, most likely on Friday). We even got out of town to see Niagara Falls Monday, which was a perfect day to see the falls. (There are photos of me sporting the fashion item given to all riders of the Maid of the Mist - essentially, a pink plastic garbage bag with a hood and armholes - but whether it makes it to these fora remains to be seen, my tolerance for comedy at my own expense having its limits.)

For eating, we indulged in the local delicacy of poutine (once is quite enough for the waistline, thank you), had dim sum at Lai Wah Heen (which wad quite good in our estimation) and at Rosewood on Spadina (which was fairly awful, truth be told), Thai food at Pai (quite nice), and we had the privilege of meeting and dining with RogerP of these fora at Bosk, which made for a delightful evening, for both the food and service, and for the company and conversation, making our last night in Toronto (Monday, 2015/11/09) memorable.

3. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Glad you had a good time. Theonly time I really go to the ROM is for friday night live and I'm usually pretty buzzed :slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer:

4. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior member

Does anyone rent good quality tuxes in Toronto?

Seems like something that should be custom, I know, but I don't want to take up space in my closet for a once per year item. Also, no time to have one made before the work party....

5. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

Sounds like a good weekend overall. Glad my hometown could entertain - it's a good little city. And since I think I was one of the people who suggested Pai, glad you liked it! Maybe one day I'll have the pleasure of dining with @RogerP (with a display of the shoe collection).

6. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Looks like the only real way of getting a good deal is to A. Waist for sales (hit or miss styling, sizing, etc) or B. Order from outside of the country and hope for the best.

From the looks of it, if we can hit that sweetspot of price/quality like we aim for with all our products, introducing shoes would be a good direction for us.

Thanks again for insight!

7. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

@upr_crust Very happy to hear you enjoyed your trip. With regards to the rain poncho; it could have been worse. I had to work as "Misty the bear", a giant anthropomorphic bear who greeted visitors and demonstrated correct poncho wearing procedures. Perhaps that is where my interest in tailoring began...

8. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Price point is very under served. You could do it on 3 models.

Cap toe, Wingtip, Plain toe 3 eye derby.

Cap toe in black & dark brown. Wingtip in Dark Brown & Lighter Brown, Derby in Snuff & Dark Brown Suede.

Last will be key. I'd chisel the captoe (slightly), rounded wingtip, and almond toe derby. But what do I know.... Everyone will have their 2 cents on this of ourse

9. emidyl

emidyl Senior member

Sounds like a fun filled long weekend. You hit up some decent spots. Love to see your hat as I am a fan of Goorin Bros. Got a couple myself.
    Good on @RogerP to join you at Bosk. A buddy of mine lives in the hotel, must give it a try next time I'm downtown.
    as for the poncho, nuff said, mine was blue when I visited a few yrs back.

10. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

If you can throw a decent pair of penny loafers into the mix something along the lines of Alden's Leisure Handsewn series, I would be really happy.

11. thebeaches

thebeaches Member

Where would one find this 40% discount pls? And what is the best way to find additional discounts and/or when they have promotions on at BB? Am looking to buy a couple of new suits in particular

Thanks for any feedback

12. thebeaches

thebeaches Member

Apologies I think I answered part of my own question as I found the BB sale thread and signed up for the corporate discount. It also indicated the next corporate sale is tomorrow for 30%! Didnt see where/how you could get a 40% discount though

Thanks

13. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior member

The 40% was a loyalty thing that they mailed to my house. 40% off any regularly priced men's or women's item. I asked if you could stack with Corp discount, because I'm Scottish. They said no.

14. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Hey guys, anybody use delmonte dry cleaners?

Word is that they are the best for handling tailored garments.

15. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

I think Creeds is the best in the city (with prices to match). I take all my tough, stained garments there. Always done a great job.