The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. borbor

borbor Senior member

This

2. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

3. TurboTropic

TurboTropic Senior member

Could be related to my corporate membership or when I bought a couple of suits and a bunch of shirts there a while ago and nothing since.

4. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

FYI, some Toronto "lifestyle" photos have been posted in the WAYWRN thread - my meet-up with RogerP and other shots.

5. rainmaker

rainmaker Well-Known Member

Would love a review if you've got a pair of Dack's.

6. thebeaches

thebeaches Member

I dropped by BB downtown this morning and they are having the corporate sale on Nov 19 but they are also having the 2 suit discount running from Nov 20-25 ie 2 for $1600 vs $1300 each I think. The SA put aside 2 Fitzgeralds for me in the style I wanted that we will size up next week if I want to proceed. The Fitz cut seemed very close to my Canali which is my favourite suit

7. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

Are these Dack's online only? Looked for a location but didn't see anything. Loathe to buy without trying on first.

8. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

I always get the Brooks Brothers cards in the mail, as well as their emails. They usually have the 30% off corporate discount days several times a year as well as one or two of the "discount on one item" days. I used the 40% discount day to buy a raincoat last year, and usually use the 30% discount days to buy non-iron dress shirts.

9. ryanginger

ryanginger Member

There's been a lot of BB coupons/events lately. I had the 40% off one a couple weeks ago, received a note for the customer appreciation 25% off 13-17th on Tuesday, and a 30% corporate on the 19th in the mail today. I can think of a couple others recently as well. I preferred when there were fewer sales and they reflected true deals vs. discounts against marked up everyday prices.

10. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

For the Dacks, don't the soles look like the Loake shoemaker line soles?

11. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior member

I won a Panta jacket from Spoo on eBay. I got the tag today from Canada Post that I can pick the jacket up tomorrow. The jacket was made in the U.S., and imported from the U.S. It cost $150 USD / $200 CAD. The customs/duties are $76. That's insane, right? That's not correct, 38% - I should contest it, right?

12. Sharp2k

Sharp2k Member

Hey Guys! Do you know of any good tailors (Made to Measure or Bespoke) in the GTA Area ? I've heard of a couple downtown but don't want to trek there unless it's worth it. I'm looking to start off with a few dress shirts/dress pants for work and such. I typically buy my clothes from The Bay or Banana Republic but wanted to try something new. What's a reasonable price to expect for Bespoke Dress Shirts and Dress Pants ? Thanks!

13. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

(don't scare him off with all the talk about 'that's not real bespoke' guys...)

where are you located roughly?

14. Johnsson

Johnsson Senior member

There should have been 13% tax and no duty. I'm sure there's an appeal process with Customs (not Canada Post), probably online by now....or is that wishful thinking? Good luck.

15. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Not true bespoke, but i've been hearing good things about Spier and Mackay lately. Seems like an up and coming company that does MTM for both shirts and suitings. (+ price looks good)

They're kind of far though, up in missisauga ( with a store opening in toronto soon? but I'm not 100% sure about that).