The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Cityplace

Cityplace Senior member

Agree with this - at $375CAD - with "classic" English-style (one option with an almond shape, one with a round and one chisel), with quality leather seems like it would definitely hit a sweet spot that I don't think is addressed anywhere.

2. rwtc

rwtc Senior member

If your clients are willing to wait, then Brooks Brothers during a sale should do. $450 (or whatever the price is now) for AE with the 30% discount is $315 pre-tax.

3. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

I wouldn't go anywhere near Suit Supply shoes....

In Toronto you're pretty much dealing with AE, Loding and Loake in that range. Loding has more appealing styling but from personal experience is a tad below AE in terms of quality. However, they're probably the more attractive option for most of your clients as the styling is considerably more modern. If they're working on Bay Street they also have the advantage of a shoe shine/clean drop-off and full service.

4. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

Hi Rick,

I would be interested in some goodyear welted shoes for under $400 CAD provided they lean more towards classic and less fashion.

5. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Yes, classic English design is what we would do. Not trendy Italian. I have a sample in my hands now and the construction is very solid.

6. borbor

borbor Senior member

90% of SFers won't look at this place; but matthew dack (on clearance) would fall under the 3 bills mark.

Their lasts and shapes look to be similar to AEs. (open channel gyw)

I actually thought it IS made by AE; but looking at their site and pics; it's got made in England stamped on it so I'm not entirely sure.

7. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Would like to see some pictures.

8. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

The last sucks. But its only for construction quality. I'll see if I can get some pics when I have some time. If we move forward we would have our own last made.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015

9. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

If someone was to offer me a great quality shoe in the $350-400 range...I certainly wouldn't complain. I think that's a good sweet spot I'd like to pay for a good shoe.

Knowing that I'm paying more than the $200-250 Cole Haan's, but below the $500 range where you're getting into Carmina/ J. Fitz etc.

10. TurboTropic

TurboTropic Senior member

BB's AE shoes are $510 now. Was looking at using my 40% discount last week and still wasn't interested enough at $306. They carry no dark brown AE dress shoes.

11. mebiuspower

mebiuspower Senior member

• @TurboTropic at that price I'd simply skip over AE and go for Peal & Co (C&J) instead.

12. TurboTropic

TurboTropic Senior member

I considered it but I'm not in desperate need. No reason to spend that coin now.

13. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

This is what I did for my most recent shoe purchase. Even with shipping and currency conversion, the final cost was well below what I would have had to pay for the same pair of AEs anywhere in Toronto. If I were able to get a good-looking pair of shoes of equal or better quality in a similar price range, I would definitely consider them.

It was only 2-3 years ago that Rego Bespoke (in First Canadian Place) had an AE promotion on where they would match the USD price on the AE website in Canadian dollars for any shoe. They would also order it if it wasn't in stock (no shipping fees) and honour any sales/promotions on the AE website. Needless to say, those days are long gone...

14. borbor

borbor Senior member

15. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior member

Funny.

I was looking for the same - a nice dark brown. I find loding to be too poop-coloured.

I liked the dark brown pebbled leather wingtip (from C&J, I think?). That was the most tempting to me, but they were $710. Seemed too casual for me to drop $500 on, after tax.