1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

damn, thanks for the info.

2. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

That's new. I either get hit with BOTH duties and taxes or neither. The former is exceedingly painful.

3. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Yeah same here, maybe the US sender marked US as country of origin?

4. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Senior member

I only checked one of the customs forms, but the field was empty. Funny how they went through the trouble of opening the box and didn't notice the "Made In England" written on the box and sole of the shoes.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  5. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

They sift thousands of packages a day. Efficiency is key, check it and move on.

Could have just opened it for a random inspection, just to make sure they were in fact "shoes".

6. kasper007

kasper007 Senior member

HI Name is Laurent and this is his website. It doesn't seem to be working at the moment so not sure if it's my computer or the site.
    I am from Montreal so I go a few times a year so I try to drop my shoes and then having them shipped back (mostly because I really appreciate the chats with Laurent TBH, I could easily ship there in the first place).

7. KaleidoscopicK

KaleidoscopicK Senior member

Crazy as this sounds, I wound up going to NYC for the trunk show. I'm a little nervous but excited at the same time.

Any Canadians that happen to make the trip?

8. emidyl

emidyl Senior member

HAHA, I seriously considered. We could have carpooled, or flew out together LOL, from Miss also.

You'll have to update with some pics and reports.

cheers

9. Cityplace

Cityplace Senior member

Jealous - give some deets on what you ended up with??

10. tricky

tricky Senior member

Same here on a couple of made in the US blazers bought from SF member. Paid a lot in tax too. Ugh

11. akoustas

akoustas Senior member

Something to keep in mind for next year: Organizing a Canadian contingent we can spread out the duty allowances as well!

12. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Question for guys here. I know a lot of you love and appreciate luxury shoes, but for those who are not as attuned to the high end shoe market, where in Toronto can you pick up a high quality pair of Goodyear welted shoes for under $400 CAD? I know of LodinG and Grenson in some assorted shops. I ask because a lot of our customers ask where to get good shoes and I'm not going to send them to Aldo or Cole Haan. We've been looking for a while and we may have the opportunity to work with a shoe manufacturer in Italy, to bring a Goodyear Welted, Calf Skin for $375 CAD. If there really is a gap in the market it may be worthwhile.

Thanks in advance.
    Rick

13. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Well not locally but for the longest time I've been buying AE shoes from the shoebank and have it shipped to my family for free in the USA and in turn she ships it over to me for half the cost and no duty!

But since the dollar has tanked I really haven't bought anything lately. I was tinkering with getting a pair of Carmina as well but thats out of my range as they have raised their prices as well.

I'm curious to see the replies.

14. Chambertin

Chambertin Senior member

Yes. If you see some of the earlier discussions, that is exactly the problem many of us have. Loake 1880 was also mentioned but I think they push $500. SuSu has some Goodyear shoes around $400 I believe. Meermin might fit the bill, but you're looking at variable duties and worsening exchange rate. Jack Erwin (are they Goodyear?), but same issues as Meermin. Those are the options for dress shoes. Even J Fitzpatrick is more.

The options are pretty slim. I have been eyeing the Barbanera stuff on NMWA as it pretty much fits that gap. More importantly the shoes appears to be classic British styling. But, you have exchange, duties, and fit issues possibly.

Trendy, stylish Italian shoes have their place, but if I spent money on them, I don't care if they're Goodyear, or honestly, even full grain, as they're disposable to my mind. A couple seasons, tops.

At $375, I'm interested in (mostly) classic English-style shoes.

15. Chambertin

Chambertin Senior member

Ha! AE didn't even occur to me! I think it's because I've made up my mind I'm not interested. I don't care for their styling. They would be the main competitor for most people (i.e. non-styleforum)