• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

borbor

Reaction score

I won a Panta jacket from Spoo on eBay. I got the tag today from Canada Post that I can pick the jacket up tomorrow. The jacket was made in the U.S., and imported from the U.S. It cost $150 USD / $200 CAD. The customs/duties are $76. That's insane, right? That's not correct, 38% - I should contest it, right?

That is robbery

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I won a Panta jacket from Spoo on eBay. I got the tag today from Canada Post that I can pick the jacket up tomorrow. The jacket was made in the U.S., and imported from the U.S. It cost $150 USD / $200 CAD. The customs/duties are $76. That's insane, right? That's not correct, 38% - I should contest it, right?

It looks like you got hit with 18% customs/duties. What is the break down of the fees? Is it like below?

Price of jacket = $200.00
Customs/duties (18%) = $ 36.00
HST (13%) = $ 30.68
CP processing fee = $ 10.00
------------
Total = $276.68

Did the package clearly state that the jacket was manufactured in the USA? If so then yeah you should definitely contest it. You should get back $36.00 in customs and duties as well as $4.68 back in HST as customs and duties are subject to the HST.

Last edited:

NickInTO

Reaction score

It looks like you got hit with 18% customs/duties. What is the break down of the fees? Is it like below?

Price of jacket = $200.00
Customs/duties (18%) = $ 36.00
HST (13%) = $ 30.68
CP processing fee = $ 10.00
------------
Total = $276.68

Did the package clearly state that the jacket was manufactured in the USA? If so then yeah you should definitely contest it. You should get back $36.00 in customs and duties as well as $4.68 back in HST as customs and duties are subject to the HST.

That was the breakdown. I refused the package and requested a CBSA assessment. Does anyone have any idea how long that will take?

Sharp2k

Reaction score
(don't scare him off with all the talk about 'that's not real bespoke' guys...)

where are you located roughly?

I'm in Mississauga.

So, the places downtown aren't really bespoke ? I've heard great things about Garrison but I'm not sure how they stack up price wise.

Sharp2k

Reaction score
Not true bespoke, but i've been hearing good things about Spier and Mackay lately. Seems like an up and coming company that does MTM for both shirts and suitings. (+ price looks good)

They're kind of far though, up in missisauga ( with a store opening in toronto soon? but I'm not 100% sure about that).

I'm in Mississauga, so that works out perfectly. I went through their site and their stuff seems okay - how's the quality ? I wouldn't mind paying more for something that will last. Thanks!

TOstyle

Reaction score
Hey Guys! Do you know of any good tailors (Made to Measure or Bespoke) in the GTA Area ? I've heard of a couple downtown but don't want to trek there unless it's worth it. I'm looking to start off with a few dress shirts/dress pants for work and such. I typically buy my clothes from The Bay or Banana Republic but wanted to try something new. What's a reasonable price to expect for Bespoke Dress Shirts and Dress Pants ? Thanks!
I can highly recommend Thomas Henry Made. I've bought a lot of MTM and bespoke, and I think he had a great product and a good price point. $1,200 for all in MTM and I'm very happy with the fit. Definitely worth checking out.

S&M is good, just didn't work for me. Garrisons is good, but I'm over their experience and price point is closer to the $2K (which you just don't need to do to get a good custom job). My opinion and experience of course.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Trend Custom Tailors - my experience there is great. And it's true bespoke. Plus Don is really passionate and touring his location is pretty awesome. There's a bespoke shoe guy on site which I thought was pretty cool.

I don't recommend Garrison at all. My experience was terrible and same with others I know.

S&M is great for the price point. Rick is a stand up guy and super knowledgeable.

Last edited:

Spex

Reaction score
Samuelsohn
I took a look at their site but they don't mention a Toronto/GTA location...How are they quality wise ? Thanks =)

Samuelsohn don't have stores, but offer their wares through Harry Rosen, The Bay and I believe Rego in the Exchange Tower. Fully canvassed and often spoken of as very high quality and on par with many higher priced brands. I tried on a suit at The Bay the other day and it fit amazingly. Very nice. It was about $1200 for OTR.

Spex

Reaction score

I don't recommend Garrison at all. My experience was terrible and same with others I know.

I walk by Garrison every day on my way to and from work. The suits/jackets displayed in their windows look nice. They clearly have business from local sports teams and such. I have no experience with them (their "by appointment only" hours posted on their front door isn't very inviting). I get the impression that they are not clamoring for walk in business and from the stories I've heard they might not give you the best customer service if you don't come in making it clear that money is no object. This is all just from reviews I've read. Maybe they are really nice and willing to work with cheapskates like me. No idea. Not sure why no one from there posts on an obvious forum such as this one.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey Guys! Do you know of any good tailors (Made to Measure or Bespoke) in the GTA Area ? I've heard of a couple downtown but don't want to trek there unless it's worth it. I'm looking to start off with a few dress shirts/dress pants for work and such. I typically buy my clothes from The Bay or Banana Republic but wanted to try something new. What's a reasonable price to expect for Bespoke Dress Shirts and Dress Pants ?  Thanks!

Check out this thread : Custom Suiting Toronto

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Check out Trend Custom Tailors - my experience there is great. And it's true bespoke. Plus Don is really passionate and touring his location is pretty awesome. There's a bespoke shoe guy on site which I thought was pretty cool.

S&M is great for the price point. Rick is a stand up guy and super knowledgeable.

I'm glad to hear someone had a positive experience with them. What have you commissioned so far?

jdrizzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in Mississauga, so that works out perfectly. I went through their site and their stuff seems okay - how's the quality ? I wouldn't mind paying more for something that will last. Thanks!
I had a talk with Rick some time ago, and a MTM 2pc suit is something around 700 (full canvas) with their in house fabrics. Options he talked about were awesome though, full lapel styling, button stance and gorge height choices. He told me a few people commision Eidos style jackets for around 400-550 so it seems pretty solid. The stuff is made in China? but quality seems rather good.

I'll probably swing by more frequently when they head to toronto or when I have time to go there on a weekend.

Last edited:

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought Rick had his stuff made in India? Perhaps he can chime in...

As for trend, I've had a number of shirts made in Thomas Mason fabrics I believe (been a while) and the fit is perfect, and the experience was great too. Plastic buttons at that price is my only minor gripe but good otherwise. I've never heard of bad reviews for Trend?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads