1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Sure. Shirts made in India under our control. Suits made in China in a factory which we helped develop their MTM program. This new MTM program has only been running for 9 months and is evolving very quickly now. Very exciting time for us.

2. emidyl

emidyl Senior Member

it's being made in both India and China

3. Sharp2k

Sharp2k Member

Okay, great - where are your Dress Pants made in ?

4. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Pants are produced in the same facility as our suits in China.

Cheers,
    Rick

5. akoustas

akoustas Senior Member

I think people are a little misconceived in terms of the value they're getting for a suit. To make a simple example: purchasing a Z Zegna suit off the rack for $1500 is obviously a bad decision, however a mainline OTR Zegna can hit $3000 easily. In Toronto, there are a bevy of Made-to-Measure options in the $1000-$1400 range which are infinitely better than a Z Zegna (Samuelsohn in particular), likewise a Garrison semi-bespoke piece can be made with equivalent and or superior fabrics to the mainline Zegna for less with debatable comparisons over the construction. In each case you are also benefiting from something (semi) custom made.

The key is, you aren't going to get a $5000 bespoke suit for $2000, and there's no magical Neopolitan tailor lost in a North York minimall that's going to do it for you for under $1000. However, whichever local option you do choose (and there have been many discussed here), you'll probably be getting a better value and looking better than 90% of the buyers who frequent the usual menswear stops.

6. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior Member

I agree with this 1000%. It's also why I chose MTM - I think it's where the best value is.

7. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior Member

A new idea I thought I'd ask here.

Does anyone know if there are custom footwear places that will do custom shoes that would qualify as "orthodics"? I think I met a guy a few years ago who did, and if you needed orthodics he could make a well-fitted pair of shoes that would be as good as getting inserts. So you would be able to get a custom pair of shoes AND be able to claim some/ all of the cost on insurance. That seems like a great way to do it, and I'd like to test it out before the end of the year. Anyone had experience on this?

8. mister_nostyle

mister_nostyle Well-Known Member

Hello SF. What are the current options in the Toronto area for shoes like wingtips and cap toes in the $250-350 per pair price range?

I am looking for the best quality in this particular price range.

Edit: I want to be able to go into stores and try shoes on because I have a lot of problems with shoe fitting.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015

9. alwaysanalien

alwaysanalien Member

Canadian
    Canadian dollars or USD?

10. mister_nostyle

mister_nostyle Well-Known Member

CAD please. But a USD $250 shoe is still in the right range.

11. Spex

Spex Senior Member

The only ones that come to mind are Loding ($330) and Johnston and Murphy (perhaps of questionable quality and mostly not Goodyear welted at this price range, unless on sale).

12. mebiuspower

mebiuspower Senior Member

^J&M claims their $225 shoes are GYW... I highly doubt they are 360 welt and they appear to be only single sole.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015

13. othertravel

othertravel Distinguished Member

A quality shoe for $350 in Toronto is a bit difficult, but not impossible.

Loding isn't bad. But I'd recommend the Brooks Brothers. During the Corporate sale, you can get their Allen Edmonds and Loake models in that range.

14. gs77

gs77 Senior Member

When it comes to clothing, the "value" is hard to define, and depends on one's temperament. It's almost like you want to get married and you start looking for wife with best value [​IMG]. Funny questions come to mind, like: will she drape well in few years?
    The very fact we are members of this forum means that most of us have somewhat twisted sense of value in clothing (compared to 90% of buyers).
    And you're right in two things. First, there is no super tailor making bespoke in Toronto for <$1000, as there is no in any major western city. Second, spending $$$$ on OTR stuff is the worst choice for anyone I can think of.

Since moving to Toronto few years ago I tried Garrison (wouldn't call it bespoke), just recently one other tailor with what was closest to real bespoke (will write about this when I get some time and take some photos), and I am still to try some of the MTM options. Also, if one has a regular build, knows its proportions and has some experience of what fits him OTR, eBay/outlets are a great option. Ebay has good deals if you know what you're looking for.

Speaking about MTM, has anyone tried SuSu Suit-up personal tailoring in Toronto store?

Thanks

G.

15. gs77

gs77 Senior Member

This reminds me of the one Eye-ware shop here... My wife used her insurance with them, so while they charged for our whole family to wear prescription glasses, in fact my wife sports few pairs of Prada shades [​IMG]

Jokes aside, what qualifies a shoe to be called orthodic shoe? I have a shitty feet, and if I am to walk/stand whole day, I really need something made for me. Still have a few pairs from my pre-Toronto days... Would something like this pass? If yes, then lets start the business...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]