• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Appreciation Thread (Bespoke only)

Maessive

Reaction score
Yes, taking size started with foot drawings, tracing and measurements at specific points. I also gave details about specific foot issues like broken toes etc. They sent a foam ox to make a footprint in, and off we went. Initial version was a bit too tight at the left foot toe area, they fixed that (one way postage cost).
Not familiar with their RTW line, you see a difference then?

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Let's see the whole shoe!

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DW,

I have a question, where I can order three pcs boot trees if my bootmaker didn't offer one?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

DW,

I have a question, where I can order three pcs boot trees if my bootmaker didn't offer one?

If the shoemaker didn't offer them, I have no idea. None of my lastmakers offer shoe trees. In any case, I'm not convinced that a lasted shoe tree is any better than a good after-market shoe tree...esp. considering how briefly they are in the shoe.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If the shoemaker didn't offer them, I have no idea. None of my lastmakers offer shoe trees. In any case, I'm not convinced that a lasted shoe tree is any better than a good after-market shoe tree...esp. considering how briefly they are in the shoe.

So if your customer want to order a pair of boot tree for his Wellington boots, where should he go?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So if your customer want to order a pair of boot tree for his Wellington boots, where should he go?

As I said in another thread, the accepted wisdom regarding pull-on (dress Wellingtons, full Wellingtons, "cowboy") boots is to not use trees.

I know this sounds odd but having the toes of the boot roll slightly upward does several things...theoretically. It augments the "rocking chair" motion of the boot in gait and it tends to pull the heel stiffener into the heel of the foot.

This second bit is important, because boot lasts are not "cupped" in the heel nearly as much as shoe lasts and the heel stiffener is not formed into a cup. If it were, the foot would hang up on the top edge as the foot was going into the boot.

Tops too have a role here...there is an inverted "v" shape crease that forms in the boot top just above the top of the instep. This acts a lot like laces on a shoe--it pushes leather down onto the instep and holds the foot firmly in place.

If a customer wanted to uses trees in a pull-on boot, there is no reason that an after-market tree for shoes wouldn't work (although some trees would have difficulty conforming to the higher heel.)

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shoes stay on the shelf most of the time and only briefly worn. Say, in a daily alternating situation and a 10 hour working day, shoes will spend 38 hours on the shelf vs 10 hours worn.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Shoes stay on the shelf most of the time and only briefly worn. Say, in a daily alternating situation and a 10 hour working day, shoes will spend 38 hours on the shelf vs 10 hours worn.

I leave my trees in my shoes too but I have read, here on SF several times in the years I've been posting, that trees should not be left in the shoes more than eight hours or so (overnight, say).

I dunno...once the shoe has gotten rid of the moisture picked up from the foot during wear, I don't know what good treeing does. In my case it gets rid of the clutter (in a limited space) of trying to store both shoes and trees separately.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics