• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
guys--

Can you give me your impressions on this one? the side vents and other basting stitching still in, but the store didn't want to touch anything but stitch the buttonholes on this one. I can't tell if the middle is X-ing at the button or not? they are happy to do more alterations if need be, but hard to trust the sales reps all the time.

thoughts on fit? thank you!
Hope the tailors can comment. I always like your stuff. Seems bit tight in the waist.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the look! Yep, I guess it is a trade off for me with most brands these days-- to get the nice trim fit under the arms, waist, etc i lose a bit in the chest fit. Other brands have a bit more room sometimes but when I size up to 40, stuff requires too many alterations and still doesn't look as good on sides and under arms

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi tailors, @Despos

The chest and shoulders on this suit fit well, but there's wrinkling in the sleeves. Can that be fixed? Does it require rotating the sleeves?

Thanks!

DjangoV

Reaction score

Hi tailors, @Despos

The chest and shoulders on this suit fit well, but there's wrinkling in the sleeves. Can that be fixed? Does it require rotating the sleeves?

Thanks!

I am not a tailor nor a fit expert, but it seems you also have an issue with the waist fit. Notice the wrinkle running from the closed button below the pockets (and also the lower button flaring out a bit)? Seems a bit tight to me (could be wrong though).

Last edited:

Dipty

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Sorry if the photos aren't to the best standard, but I had this thought running through my mind this evening when I had run out of things to do and thought I should get the thoughts of this great forum on it. :)

Recently, I purchased a suit which I believe fits me quite well (apart from the pants). Anyway, I'll cut to the chase - I am not satisfied with the way the trousers are fitting me, and was wondering what I can do to reduce the break and make them flow better so I can perfect these pants as best I can. Willing to listen to any recommendations, and it would be strongly appreciated.
Just to be clear, this was an OTR suit I purchased from Country Road (http://www.countryroad.com.au/shop/man/the-suit-store/the-modern-tailored-suit) and I haven't tailored it one bit so far.
I've also included an extra photo of the full suit, but please note that the pants look a lot more crinkled in that photo because at that point they weren't fully ironed and my mother really wanted to get a photo at that point, lol.
Oh! I should add that I wear the pants fairly high to try and reduce this wrinkled look, obviously only as a temporary resort.

Cheers,
Sky

Last edited:

AdamWill

Reaction score
amateur opinion (not tailor): They just need hemming (shortening). Any alterations tailor you can find will do it for like ten bucks. They look a little tight in the top half to me, but workable. edit: it's also super-easy to see how hemming will look - just roll up the legs of the pants (to the inside).

Also, learn to do your own damn ironing, but you don't iron suit cloth (unless it's really cheap or 'washable' stuff, which you shouldn't buy anyway). Take it to the dry cleaners to have it pressed.

Last edited:

Dipty

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

I figured they probably needed to be hemmed.
As for the ironing part, it is honestly a small area of wrinkles (lower legs) and an iron on cool over a medium sized cloth covering the fabric does not damage wool.
If it needs to be done, it is safe to iron suit pants this way, if not, pressing is needed.

But a trip to the dry cleaners on its first day? Nope.
Enough of that, I'll take it in tomorrow to see what my local tailor thinks.
Sky

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all, first post in this thread. Got my first pair of pants from Luxire for which I used measurements of another pair of pants. I have about a 35 waist, but much bigger hips/thighs/butt, so RTW can be difficult for me which is why I am hoping that MTO can be the answer..

Looking for what I can ask for next time to get a better fit. Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks in advance:

NeedForTweed123

Reaction score
Do suit/jacket shoulder seams need to be the exact measurement of your actual shoulder? If I bought a suit with an 18.5 inch shoulder to shoulder measurement, would it be too large for my 18 inch shoulders?

luv2breformed

Reaction score
Do suit/jacket shoulder seams need to be the exact measurement of your actual shoulder? If I bought a suit with an 18.5 inch shoulder to shoulder measurement, would it be too large for my 18 inch shoulders?

Not a tailor, but I have found shoulder measurements to be the easiest measurement to stray from when purchasing my jackets. The reason being that shoulder construction plays a HUGE role as well. I have some fairly structured jackets that I need to be pretty close to my actual shoulder measurement to look good. However, I also have some jackets with a softer shoulder and a slightly larger shoulder measurement has been fine. YMMV

Last edited:

NeedForTweed123

Reaction score
Not a tailor, but I have found shoulder measurements to be the easiest measurement to stray from when purchasing my jackets. The reason being that shoulder construction plays a HUGE role as well. I have some fairly structured jackets that I need to be pretty close to my actual shoulder measurement to look good. However, I also have some jackets with a softer shoulder and a slightly larger shoulder measurement has been fine. YMMV
I was always under the impression that a shoulder that is too large/long will sag at the end and create divots?

luv2breformed

Reaction score
I was always under the impression that a shoulder that is too large/long will sag at the end and create divots?

See, I have that problem with more structured shoulders because the padding causes the fabric to divot when my arm isn't right there to fill the space up. However, with softer shoulders that are less structured and padded, I have found that the shoulder is more free to conform to my natural shoulder which may be a tad narrower. YMMV

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tailors: more of a theory question: for minnis fresco fabric, if I use dark canvassing, does it matter what color of lining is used (will the lining see through the open weave)?

Thanks!

evpj2L

Reaction score
Here's my first attempt at online MTM. I'd greatly appreciate any feedback that others can provide on overall fit. Am I on the right track?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads