• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Styleforum x Archibald Sneaker GMTO

Rbpp

Reaction score
Spoke with the maker.

Ok so as per the video basically the whole thing is protected so that there is no glue used which keeps the upper in-tact. Which you can see from the video. It isn't exactly like a bog standard goodyear procedure but a goodyear machine

So normally with sneakers glue is used as well and it doesn't mean sneakers can't be re-soled but you risk tearing the upper apart.

When re-soling these that is never an issue. That is the advantage of the construction.

So all that is required is the stitches come off on the outsole and then there isnt any glue there soa new sole just goes on and is stitched on in the same place.
thanks for those details, I wasn't aware of the problems caused by glue. But still, I would call this goodyear shoes rather than a goodwear-welted shoes as there is no welt, and so the problem of punching new holes each time you resole the shoes remains.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for those details, I wasn't aware of the problems caused by glue. But still, I would call this goodyear shoes rather than a goodwear-welted shoes as there is no welt, and so the problem of punching new holes each time you resole the shoes remains.
Thanks for that.

So just to clarify the video shows no welt? But isnt that what the goodyear machine is used for to make that stitch to what is ultimately a welt?

Re the punching new holes, as all margom soles sit in the same place she explained the same holes are used when you do that stitch. At least that is what i am understanding? Does that sound like a stretch?

Rbpp

Reaction score
Thanks for that.

So just to clarify the video shows no welt? But isnt that what the goodyear machine is used for to make that stitch to what is ultimately a welt?

Re the punching new holes, as all margom soles sit in the same place she explained the same holes are used when you do that stitch. At least that is what i am understanding? Does that sound like a stretch?
I'm not an expert but I think that, in your case, an holdfast is carved into the insole and then the goodyear machine is used to stitch the insole to the upper. But I don't think a leather strip/welt is used during the process.
Regarding the resoling process, I think it depends on the ability of the cobbler but using the same holes is definitely difficult ( the machine needs to be perfectly adjusted, you need to control the tension...). Maybe other can confirm this part.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert but I think that, in your case, an holdfast is carved into the insole and then the goodyear machine is used to stitch the insole to the upper. But I don't think a leather strip/welt is used during the process.
Regarding the resoling process, I think it depends on the ability of the cobbler but using the same holes is definitely difficult ( the machine needs to be perfectly adjusted, you need to control the tension...). Maybe other can confirm this part.
Thanks, I will go ahead and rename the product and ammend the description to call it a modified goodyear construction.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally different shoe.

These exhibit a strobel construction so are super flexible, light, and even the upper is deerskin so its sort of like a totally different shoe.

For me they are super comfortable. I love my Sf-01's (i only have a v1) but these are ridiculously comfortable almost like a sock. Think one of those crazy Nike comfortable shoes made as a luxe product.

The insoles are coconut-based and really nice they arent sort of overly quilted like the foam insoles used on the sf-01 but just as comfortable.
If you do suede in these, it would be amazing if you did some hue of green suede!

45bur

Reaction score
Are classified allowed on this thread? I have a pair of SF-01 that haven't worked out for me.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll get it done just for you so you can choose the colour you want.
lol...that would be awesome, but seriously, I suspect they would sell really well. Green suede is in.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Green for casual footwear is just great imho, as long as it's more tending to a dark green (like in the CXL SF-01 v2) and not to a flashy green.
My V-2 Anticato green, which is not at all anticato but I don't care because I really like it, is a real dark dark olive.
I've had a bunch of compliments on it already...

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Green for casual footwear is just great imho, as long as it's more tending to a dark green (like in the CXL SF-01 v2) and not to a flashy green.
Horses for courses I suppose. I prefer a lime or Loden when it comes to suede. But, I’d not besmirch a dark green suede either.

EgoCamisas

Reaction score
Horses for courses I suppose. I prefer a lime or Loden when it comes to suede. But, I’d not besmirch a dark green suede either.

Well for suede I guess I would like something slightly flashier as well tbh, for calf it would be a no go in principle... ;D An olive shade, however, is more on the safe side and is actually very cool in informal footwear!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well for suede I guess I would like something slightly flashier as well tbh, for calf it would be a no go in principle... ;D An olive shade, however, is more on the safe side and is actually very cool in informal footwear!
When I see people in bright green calf, I say, “hey you do you.” But, I’m in the same boat as you, bright green calf just isn’t my cup of tea. Olive colored calf for whatever reason, really does appeal to me. An olive colored suede would be the shiznit!

Staxxx1

Reaction score
I would love a dark rich forest green with gum soles.... particularly in CXL.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads