• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The StyleForum Runway & High Fashion Thread

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ann is suppose to fit that way, if you wear her stuff skin tight it really defeats the purpose. The sleeves on her blazers always have volume and give off a chill vibe. When you wear her stuff, you feel it yourself because of the whole nature of the cut and look, everything is sort of hanging off your body in a loose and relaxed manner.

You can add effect to this by rolling up the sleeves of your shirt and blazer, or cuffs, its all personal but you can go all out with this.

anyways, looks good candrew. I feel it suits you.

Last edited:

Sean9

Reaction score
I think that looks great Candrew. Not the greatest photo but from what I can see looks like a really solid fit. Needs a skull necklace
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Also KJ I agree with sending the things back but if you want to wear Ann wear Ann. But don't just scoop up stuff from yoox and myhabit because it's cheap. Save up $50 a week in your Ann fund (or however much you can do comfortably) and only buy things you really like. I mean sit on it for two weeks and if you're still looking at it every day after two weeks or seeing it in your sleep then cop. This is how you build a wardrobe not copping things because they're x designer and because they're cheap. Trust me, I'm by no means rich but I have a lot of great clothes because of patience and smart buys.

Last edited:

wurm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Starting to really enjoy the idea of AnnD. :D

AnnD Shirt + AnnD Blazer:

How's it look?

Top looks all right from what I can tell but it's really dark. You should wear it with different pants though IMO. Something not necessarily loose but with more of a relaxed feel.

I think that looks great Candrew.  Not the greatest photo but from what I can see looks like a really solid fit.  Needs a skull necklace
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

Also KJ I agree with sending the things back but if you want to wear Ann wear Ann.  But don't just scoop up stuff from yoox and myhabit because it's cheap.  Save up $50 a week in your Ann fund (or however much you can do comfortably) and only buy things you really like.  I mean sit on it for two weeks and if you're still looking at it every day after two weeks or seeing it in your sleep then cop.  This is how you build a wardrobe not copping things because they're x designer and because they're cheap.  Trust me, I'm by no means rich but I have a lot of great clothes because of patience and smart buys.

While I agree with the sentiment about buying only what you really want, I don't really know that you can simply tell people this. You probably have to realize it only after buying stuff that doesn't really work for you/is cheap.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I agree with the sentiment about buying only what you really want, I don't really know that you can simply tell people this. You probably have to realize it only after buying stuff that doesn't really work for you/is cheap.

I sent it back not because I didn't like it, but because I don't want to spend the money on clothes. I could go drop $10k on Ann **** I just need/want the money for other things. I'd much prefer to build a wardrobe of a few designer pieces and some cheap stuff, an Ann blazer at retail is like $2k & that's more than half of what my total wardrobe costs, it doesn't have much to do with saving up. I'd just prefer to stick with designers that can pair well with uniqlo oxfords and cheap t-shirts.

Last edited:

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's some crazy talk King-J

Who wants to buy me a Nakashima dining table ?

Last edited:

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel the look is to top heavy. It's obvious by where the cuffs sit, it's one size to big.

wurm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I sent it back not because I didn't like it, but because I don't want to spend the money on clothes.  I could go drop $10k on Ann **** I just need/want the money for other things.  I'd much prefer to build a wardrobe of a few designer pieces and some cheap stuff, an Ann blazer at retail is like $2k & that's more than half of what my total wardrobe costs, it doesn't have much to do with saving up.  I'd just prefer to stick with designers that can pair well with uniqlo oxfords and cheap t-shirts.

I'm just talking about the learning process that comes with buying clothes. I mean, how many people have come on here spending money on clothes solely because 'they're a good deal?' While it would be cool if you could just tell someone to save for something they really want, I think it might have to come from the experience of learning that it just doesn't really work out all that great. Learning your lesson the hard way and all that. (I know you've been into Ann D for a while so I'm not accusing you of being a part of this group.)

There's nothing wrong with getting good **** on the cheap though :devil:

candrew

Reaction score
Ann is suppose to fit that way, if you wear her stuff skin tight it really defeats the purpose. The sleeves on her blazers always have volume and give off a chill vibe. When you wear her stuff, you feel it yourself because of the whole nature of the cut and look, everything is sort of hanging off your body in a loose and relaxed manner.
You can add effect to this by rolling up the sleeves of your shirt and blazer, or cuffs, its all personal but you can go all out with this.
anyways, looks good candrew. I feel it suits you.
Thanks, I'll toy around with AnnD stuff. The SA kinda took an angled pic so I'll have to get a better one next time. I have fallen into loving AnnD and looking at archived seasons and reading about her and her husband who apparently helps a lot with the men's side of things.

I used to have an issue with her work since it's been said that AnnD's quality and construction aren't great, but her concept is attractive and the clothes are incredibly attractive in motion and maintain a feel of relaxed-tailored wear.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I definitely yoox a fair amount of my stuff, which is why my keep/return ratio for clothing is like 20%. Luckily, there have been very few purchases that I've actually kept that didn't really work out.

For Ann, though, in particular, you need a fair amount of her stuff to wear any of it (in other words it's hard or impossible to pair Ann with cheaper clothing), which means that even if you are getting deals you need to spend a lot, and if you're saving up for pieces that you want and buying them, at best, at like 50% off, it's insanely expensive to build that wardrobe.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
candrew, looks good bud! did you try any pants or footwear while you were there?

kj, you can pair some ann pants with a cheap white uniqlo oxford; just wear some outerwear (blazer or a coat)
asobu does this a lot, except with yohji.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think anns button up shirts elevate the look, though. The length and design have them jut out of blazers to increase the wild and trashy punk look. Otherwise a plain button up just seems to formal and static, has less life to the overall look in my eyes.

Sean9

Reaction score
You can do Ann on a budget really easy. In fact, easier than a lot of designers. The whole bottom half is simple to start with a pair of vintage riding boots or combat boots and a pair of trousers. You only need 1 white shirt to 'elevate' the look but you can do it fine with a lot of shirts to start out with and still look better than a lot of people. It's all about getting the blazers and outers which do retail for 2k but are also the best things to get second hand because they're way way cheaper, they don't touch anyone's body directly and will last for pretty much ever. Also for t-shirts I still think it's crazy that you don't have any trouble dropping a bunch of money on a Ann shirt and blazer when you don't even own a pair of trousers but don't want to drop some $$ on a layering shirt that you'll probably wear like 3 times a week. You can get silent and siki ones for around $50 anyway and if you want graphics just get something from like Bess NYC or even All Saints.

Also with Ann you have the benefit of pairing it with some n(n) and viridi-anne which can usually be had on the cheap as well.

Last edited:

Platypus

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
RE: Ann D. and Candrew

If you want to integrate Ann into your wardrobe (by that I mean the overall vision and feel, not just a shirt that says Ann Demeulemeester on the tag) I'd suggest looking for more soft-shouldered pieces. This really helps the piece look nonchalant or whatever descriptor you associate with Ann instead of just too big. The way most of her structured jackets and blazers are cut is proportional and that means a bigger shoulder is matched with a bigger body, sleeve, etc. That means there is no proportion that demonstrates the sizing is intentional (other than perhaps the length and sleeve length) unless it is worn with other pieces that reinforce that idea.

Last edited:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about taking a trip over to Atelier to try on a bunch of Ann D. together. Just throwing on a blazer doesn't really work when I'm wearing a bunch of stuff that doesn't fit with it. Specifically I want to see bottoms and footwear. Not really in a position to start over on my wardrobe, but it would be nice to slowly accumulate stuff.

On a semi-related note, I've been looking for a black blazer for a while and can't quite find what I want. I'm after something with a worn-in feel and nice texture to it. The closest I've found is that Viridi Anne at re-porter. It's a cotton/metal blend, which gives it kind of a slubby texture. I'm not crazy about the ticket pocket, but I'm starting to think I'm being too picky. From what I gather it would also fit. I find that I need shoulders of at least 43cm, and most blazers I find in 46 measure about 42cm. If anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them. (I've considered a boiled CdG jacket too, but I don't want patch pockets and generally prefer a 2-button or 1-button jacket because the shape looks good on me.)

Viridi-Anne

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics