• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I actually got a bit over confident and wanted to put a thin layer or two on the soles for good measure but they began to discolor quickly from any hint of moisture (evident in the bottom of the left shoe).  

Nothing wrong with that ...esp. on new shoes. Perhaps I shouldn't be so forthcoming and post this on a non-shoemaking forum but "spit-shining" the forepart of the outsole is one of those little tricks. I do it on all my shoes. Once the shoe has been worn and the grain surface broken, it's not worth even trying.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone provide a rec for zug grain. I hope to take delivery of a pair of boot in the next few months. Is Zug good to go on its own or should I go with MPB or OBLP?

DoctorJ

Reaction score
Posted as a new thread earlier, but might get a response here...

At Nordstrom Rack, I found a pair of Red Wings boat shoes at a great price. Turns out these are from the Red Wing Heritage collection, handsewns made by Rancourt. My question is what kind of conditioning and cleaning would be best for these shoes. I used AE Leather Lotion as a first step, but am not sure this would be best longterm.

Suggestions for ongoing conditioning? Would AE's cleaner/conditioner be OK when cleaning is in order? Any help would be appreciated.

Finally, to tree or not to tree? That is the question. I assume so, and I think that's the suggestion on Rancourt's web site.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gave some loving and elbow grease to a few of mine. GK clean/condition/polish, Black polish for some antiquing and Spit shined the toes a little bit too.

Joshua Lee

Reaction score
Apparently I crossed the wrong donut, and he decided to fight back by squirting on my cordovan boots. Any tips for removing a jelly stain?

NeedStyleHelp

Reaction score
Should I be worried? I tried to mirrorshine these shoes with neutral wax and this is the result. I tried some Renomat, but it still looks like this. Is there anything I can do or are they ruined?
I appreciate your help

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else had issue with GK high shine paste stripping off any other waxes you've applied for antiquing/burnishing? That orange oil seems to be strong stuff.

Nice work @jungleroller

Last edited:

Itsuo

Reaction score

Should I be worried? I tried to mirrorshine these shoes with neutral wax and this is the result. I tried some Renomat, but it still looks like this. Is there anything I can do or are they ruined?
I appreciate your help

@NeedStyleHelp, what exactly is the problem? They don't have a high shine but I don't see any reason they might be ruined?

Has anyone else had issue with GK high shine paste stripping off any other waxes you've applied for antiquing/burnishing? That orange oil seems to be strong stuff.

Nice work @jungleroller

@MGoCrimson, do you mean the GK cleaner/conditioner? My GK high shine wax does not appear to take any other wax off, it also doesn't have the citrus smell you speak of. The GK cleaner conditioner does have that orangey citrus smell AND certainly removes old layers of wax.

NeedStyleHelp

Reaction score
@Itsuo It's a burgundy colour shoe and now it looks really dark, almost black. Just wondering how I can get it back to the original burgundy colour.

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@MGoCrimson , do you mean the GK cleaner/conditioner? My GK high shine wax does not appear to take any other wax off, it also doesn't have the citrus smell you speak of. The GK cleaner conditioner does have that orangey citrus smell AND certainly removes old layers of wax.
My high shine paste smells pretty strongly of citrus, though nothing compared to the cleaner conditioner. Perhaps I'm not allowing the wax to set long enough before I put on a high shine. I'll try leaving it to dry overnight next time.

Itsuo

Reaction score

@Itsuo It's a burgundy colour shoe and now it looks really dark, almost black. Just wondering how I can get it back to the original burgundy colour.

I'm sorry I thought that was just burnishing with many people on this forum like to see on their shoes. I've not used Renomat but if it went on with wax it should come off with a standard cleaner/stripper. Maybe wait for others in the forum to comment.

My high shine paste smells pretty strongly of citrus, though nothing compared to the cleaner conditioner. Perhaps I'm not allowing the wax to set long enough before I put on a high shine. I'll try leaving it to dry overnight next time.

If you're following the instructions on the GlenKaren website for using the wax, you should be seeing results once the layers build up. How many layers have you applied? And you are using small amounts if water correct?

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're following the instructions on the GlenKaren website for using the wax, you should be seeing results once the layers build up. How many layers have you applied? And you are using small amounts if water correct?
Yes, I'm following the instructions per the website and get the high shine I'm after, but inevitably lose some of the pigments from the wax that was on the toe cap beforehand

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, so I deeply scratched a pair of shoes. As in, I can see some white underneath. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? Obviously I don't expect them to look like new but I'd settle for them to be presentable.

Thanks.

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OK, so I deeply scratched a pair of shoes. As in, I can see some white underneath. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? Obviously I don't expect them to look like new but I'd settle for them to be presentable.

Thanks.

I think Saphir makes a product for this, forget the name but search and you will find it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads