1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Nothing wrong with that ...esp. on new shoes. Perhaps I shouldn't be so forthcoming and post this on a non-shoemaking forum but "spit-shining" the forepart of the outsole is one of those little tricks. I do it on all my shoes. Once the shoe has been worn and the grain surface broken, it's not worth even trying.

2. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Distinguished Member

Can anyone provide a rec for zug grain. I hope to take delivery of a pair of boot in the next few months. Is Zug good to go on its own or should I go with MPB or OBLP?

3. DoctorJ

DoctorJ Member

Posted as a new thread earlier, but might get a response here...

At Nordstrom Rack, I found a pair of Red Wings boat shoes at a great price. Turns out these are from the Red Wing Heritage collection, handsewns made by Rancourt. My question is what kind of conditioning and cleaning would be best for these shoes. I used AE Leather Lotion as a first step, but am not sure this would be best longterm.

Suggestions for ongoing conditioning? Would AE's cleaner/conditioner be OK when cleaning is in order? Any help would be appreciated.

Finally, to tree or not to tree? That is the question. I assume so, and I think that's the suggestion on Rancourt's web site.

4. jungleroller

jungleroller Distinguished Member

Gave some loving and elbow grease to a few of mine. GK clean/condition/polish, Black polish for some antiquing and Spit shined the toes a little bit too.

[​IMG]

5. Cleav

Cleav Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored Moderator

6. Joshua Lee

Joshua Lee Senior Member

Apparently I crossed the wrong donut, and he decided to fight back by squirting on my cordovan boots. Any tips for removing a jelly stain?

7. NeedStyleHelp

NeedStyleHelp Senior Member

Should I be worried? I tried to mirrorshine these shoes with neutral wax and this is the result. I tried some Renomat, but it still looks like this. Is there anything I can do or are they ruined?
    I appreciate your help

.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Distinguished Member

Has anyone else had issue with GK high shine paste stripping off any other waxes you've applied for antiquing/burnishing? That orange oil seems to be strong stuff.

Nice work @jungleroller

Last edited: May 26, 2014

9. Itsuo

Itsuo Senior Member

@NeedStyleHelp, what exactly is the problem? They don't have a high shine but I don't see any reason they might be ruined?

@MGoCrimson, do you mean the GK cleaner/conditioner? My GK high shine wax does not appear to take any other wax off, it also doesn't have the citrus smell you speak of. The GK cleaner conditioner does have that orangey citrus smell AND certainly removes old layers of wax.

10. NeedStyleHelp

NeedStyleHelp Senior Member

@Itsuo It's a burgundy colour shoe and now it looks really dark, almost black. Just wondering how I can get it back to the original burgundy colour.

11. MGoCrimson

My high shine paste smells pretty strongly of citrus, though nothing compared to the cleaner conditioner. Perhaps I'm not allowing the wax to set long enough before I put on a high shine. I'll try leaving it to dry overnight next time.

12. Itsuo

Itsuo Senior Member

I'm sorry I thought that was just burnishing with many people on this forum like to see on their shoes. I've not used Renomat but if it went on with wax it should come off with a standard cleaner/stripper. Maybe wait for others in the forum to comment.

If you're following the instructions on the GlenKaren website for using the wax, you should be seeing results once the layers build up. How many layers have you applied? And you are using small amounts if water correct?

13. MGoCrimson

Yes, I'm following the instructions per the website and get the high shine I'm after, but inevitably lose some of the pigments from the wax that was on the toe cap beforehand

14. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior Member

OK, so I deeply scratched a pair of shoes. As in, I can see some white underneath. Is there anything that can be done to fix this? Obviously I don't expect them to look like new but I'd settle for them to be presentable.

Thanks.

15. sstomcat

sstomcat Distinguished Member

I think Saphir makes a product for this, forget the name but search and you will find it.