• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience, shell is very low maintenance. If you buy whiskey or other lighter colored shell and want to keep it perfectly pristine, you might think/find shell to be high maintenance. Otherwise, all it takes is a brush and some wax polish, and it's all good. Despite what others might contend, shell is a sturdy material, perfectly suited for rain, work, or winter boots/shoes. Also, it definitely wears warmer than leather. But it can look plasticky and unappealing in some contexts. Cheers.

Last edited:

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In my experience, shell is very low maintenance. If you buy whiskey or other lighter colored shell and want to keep it perfectly pristine, you might think/find shell to be high maintenance. Otherwise, all it takes is a brush and some wax polish, and it's all good. Despite what others might contend, shell is a sturdy material, perfectly suited for rain, work, or winter boots/shoes. Also, it definitely wears warmer than leather. But it can look plasticky and unappealing in some contexts. Cheers.

It is a whiskey, MTO Harlech. Thanks for the tip.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny. I have been wearing my whiskeys more than ever this summer/fall, and the only consequence is an ever so slight darkening overall.

SushiOfTheGods

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hardened wax streaking?

It's those little ripples in the reflection that makes it so that the reflection isn't completely flat.

I know what you're talking about but the 'orange peel effect' refers to the way adding layers...such as an insert inside the shoe...changes the radius and lengths and measurements etc.. The way an orange measures n in circumference with the peel intact and the n-x when the peel is removed.

I suspect that the rippling--the "alligatoring"--of the shine...which is, if I'm not mistaken, what you're referring to...is due to inconsistent polishing, but I'm not sure. I get it more at the side of the toe...along the welt, where I've not been concentrating my efforts...than on top.

--
Bingo~ I don't know the cause but it doesn't seem to get better as I add more layers.

its quite easy to fix that!! just work a little more the first 2 layers and not adding water from the start!! it ll fill the pores a little faster!!

Thanks for the tip! I tried that but I think I may need to add more layers. Either that or I need to strip it down and start over... Maybe the leather's too new? The shoe itself is only half a year old and I haven't worn it all that much.

aglose

Reaction score

So my dark brown linderick boots in shell are always very bumpy where ever the creases are in the shaft and on the vamp. Are they just dry? I rub them every time after I wear them with my deer bone, but still they end up super bumpy.

MasonAndSmith

Reaction score
So my dark brown linderick boots in shell are always very bumpy where ever the creases are in the shaft and on the vamp. Are they just dry? I rub them every time after I wear them with my deer bone, but still they end up super bumpy.
take a picture for all of us to see, super bumpy due to crease or due to inconsistency of the wax. or could be the previous layers of wax/ residue left uncleared

aglose

Reaction score

take a picture for all of us to see, super bumpy due to crease or due to inconsistency of the wax. or could be the previous layers of wax/ residue left uncleared 

I will wear them tomorrow and snap a picture at the end of the day. Just kidding, my denim today ended up bleeding on my suede carmine chukkas. Here is a picture that shows them at the beginning of the wear. You can see the right boot has a bit of bumps that get progressively worse as the day goes on.

Last edited:

medinfoto

Reaction score
Found me a pair of bespoke Trickers (which thankfully correspond to my feet quite well!) for 25 quid; though they looked a bit rough the leather itself looked quite good all things considered. Brought them home and started a Saphir treatment. You can see before/after here. Even with a future resole I think I'll have a lovely pair of shoes for not a lot of money. Three coats of Renovateur and one of cream.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I will wear them tomorrow and snap a picture at the end of the day. Just kidding, my denim today ended up bleeding on my suede carmine chukkas. Here is a picture that shows them at the beginning of the wear. You can see the right boot has a bit of bumps that get progressively worse as the day goes on.

Welcome to shell.

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see people putting the shoe bags on their shoes on their shoe racks, or have cases with dust covers/glass, but it's actually perfectly fine to have the shoes on your rack in open air right? Because I am sick of having bits of cloth everywhere when picking my shoes.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't cover mine, but I do give them a quick brush before putting them on just to get some of the dust off. Especially the vamp gets a bit dusty and I don't want that dust to settle in the creases and cause unnecessary wear.

medinfoto

Reaction score
I see people putting the shoe bags on their shoes on their shoe racks, or have cases with dust covers/glass, but it's actually perfectly fine to have the shoes on your rack in open air right? Because I am sick of having bits of cloth everywhere when picking my shoes.

A local shoe salesman (who is around 76 now) made a very long term bet with his son (who runs another shoe store) about whether storing shoes in bags or boxes vs "in the open" made a difference over time. A decade or two later they came to the conclusion that it _did_ make enough of a difference to settle the bet, though I do not have any objective data from this particular test...

Last edited:

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks.

I wonder if exposing it to "the elements" of your house is what causes it or if it's the dust, and if so, would the fact that you wear and brush them now and then be enough to counteract that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads