• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would only think that putting them in bags vs brushing them protects against more UV light, which can fade and possibly degrade the leather over time. Putting them in bags just seems unnecessary and a pain **********. Brushing them before and after wearing them is already more than most are willing to do. If I had the leisure time to enjoy bagging my shoes I wouldn't need to worry about the longevity of my shoes.

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah and considering there isn't much UV light inside the house where I store them I would think it's a very insignificant factor anyway.

Would you say the same is true for suede? I don't know if suede should be considered more easily damaged/stained/whatever or not.

I might still bag my favorite pair of shoes or shoes that I'm not wearing for the season, or maybe if I am going away, I guess.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, the thing with suede is that it is more difficult to hide/fix/obscure anything that happens to them. I would still give them a brush before wear, however.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe the bags act like a humidor and keep the moisture in....who knows..I am just happy when my kids have not taken a crayon to my shoes....

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Maybe the bags act like a humidor and keep the moisture in....who knows..I am just happy when my kids have not taken a crayon to my shoes....

Actually if you use cotton or flannel bags they will help keep the dust off of them and protect your shoes from being scratched. Those materials also breathe and will not trap -or- allow moisture to build up.

MDeKelver

Reaction score

Thank you for the tip, it actually was perfect advice. I used less polish and added more water and it started giving me that smooth resistance again. Almost finished, going to go add one or two more light layers tomorrow after it dries, then nylon.

Looks reddish but that's just lighting. It's definitely darker since I added dark brown cream and black polish where I wanted it. Real life doesn't look as dark brown as it does in the picture.

Any tips on improving the look? I personally didn't want the whole cap evenly shiny so I purposely shined the edges more than the middle. I left the crease sections slightly unpolished, still shined, polished the sides a bit, added some black, and semi-mirror polished the heels. Upper is slightly polished but not quite reflective, I just figured it would end up looking like a patent shoe which I don't really like.
Fine Sir, What Godly company has produced these shoes for you? And model also and colour :)

cmfuen

Reaction score
I place bags over the shoes. Actually placing them in would be too much of a pain.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I place bags over the shoes. Actually placing them in would be too much of a pain.

Great first post! What a way to start off. I can't welcome you because you've joined a while ago but welcome to posting.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of suede shoes from Carmina and after the first wear, the right heel counter is starting to bald.

I think it is a combination of my heel kicking my chair and driving.

Has anyone experienced this before? I tried to minimize the rubbing of the heel by wearing different shoes to work. However, today I still noticed the right heel counter starting to whiten. If you compare the left and right heel counter, it is quite apparent.

Since the suede is being worn down so quick and brushing does not lift the hair anymore, is there a spray I can use?

lol

I have a feeling a large portion of members do not commute but take public transportation or walk since living in a larger city.

HALP!! :eek:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Putting them in bags just seems unnecessary and a pain **********. Brushing them before and after wearing them is already more than most are willing to do.

I tree them, then brush, then into bags. I guess I'm sorta neurotic about it.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone wrote on here a long time ago: 'Trees in the shoes, shoes in their bags, bags in their racks, babies in their beds.'

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads