• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jssdc

Reaction score
^^ which is more or less how I interpreted pB's comments. Not that the rain damages the leather but that it looks like crap afterwards, so if the objective is to keep your shoes looking nice then shell's not the best bad-weather choice.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, your feet will be dry, but the leather will look like **** without an overhaul. In general shell with a thinner finish and not a lot of wax polish will look better than highly polished shell because it allows the water to evaporate without getting caught up in the wax.

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was trying to decide which pair of Marlows to wear today... and ended up with some Carmina calf brogues. Good thing, cuz it's raining out now and Marlows spot like no other shell.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MgoCrimson, it's nice to have the choice... When you wear your shoes, remember to keep your feet on the ground.

dbhdnhdbh

Reaction score
Apparently not all shell spots. Some samples do it a lot, some less, some not at all. Like blooming. Varies from lot to lot. So one could end up with shell that looks fine after the rain and some that will be covered with spots. No way to predict.

I don't think resistance to water spotting is a reason to buy these shoes.

Last edited:

tahonng

Reaction score
Just bought a second hand pair of APC navy derbies. It's looking a bit faded, not quite navy anymore. Granted it could be the lighting, but I wanted to know if there was anything I could do to darken it back up.

Oh, I also cleaned it up with some leather cleaner, and some of the dye looks to have come off.

EDIT: second not send.

Last edited:

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought a send hand pair of APC navy derbies. It's looking a bit faded, not quite navy anymore. Granted it could be the lighting, but I wanted to know if there was anything I could do to darken it back up.

black wax polish.

linds_15

Reaction score
got a pair of AE strands in walnut today and really like the look of them as is. what products would you guys recommend to use going forward that will maintain them well?

thanks

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, your feet will be dry, but the leather will look like **** without an overhaul. In general shell with a thinner finish and not a lot of wax polish will look better than highly polished shell because it allows the water to evaporate without getting caught up in the wax.

Interesting, would this mean I would be better off using shell cream for maintenance instead of paste wax.

kentyman

Reaction score
Good advice. I'll continue to leave them out to dry, which will also give time to ponder my next move -- and possibly hear more advice. Thanks.

So after a week of "drying", the shoe looked the same. I decided to see whether more vinegar/water solution would slowly lighten them. It didn't seem to, so I decided to finish darkening that one panel. Surprisingly, the results are that bad:

I'd say this photo is a little more flattering than real life, especially at some angles, but it does get the point across. I think I have enough tools now to perhaps do a little more work in evening it out. I actually might give Reno'Mat a try on one of the darkest areas to see whether it will lighten it at all.

Thank you all for the advice in minimizing the damage of one stray onion from an oily Greek salad! ;)

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know, maybe. Give it a shot.

I will, I am not shell enthusiast but I bought a pair just to see what is it all about. I seem to remember Ron Rider specifically saying that shell should be worn in the rain. In addition some people claim that shell is virtually maintenance free but lately I have been hearing a different stories. I guess I will try it and see it for myself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads