Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

[​IMG]

2. chogall

chogall Senior member

1. One layer of polish for a very high shine. Two for mirror. Three for mirror with some depth.
    2. Yes. From scratch. Including full tenon at stripping, acetone stripping, bleach, and even hogh grit dremel sanding.
    3. Really depends on the room temperature. Usually I take a shitload of polish and either polish the toe cap all at once or at most three sections to evenly shine. Only adding water/spit when polish gets sticky. Only using breath fogging when the polish cloth is moist.
    4. Light on areas with little wax or area with shaky wax base. Heavy everywhere else. On areas with too much wax, very heavy.

It really depends on the leather and weather. And the process is more feel/touch than method.

3. Crat

Crat Senior member

- Countless layers. In my experience a mirror built up with more layers using little polish > less layers using more polish

- No, I find that some shoes take a mirror shine more easily than others.

- 20-30 sec timewise I guess. I don't time it though but do it intuitively.

- Weigh of hand. Lighter towards end. My guess is that the highest shines are obtained with the least preassure.

Very true.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013

4. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Awesome shine, even more awesome Whisky!![​IMG]

5. ddgdl

ddgdl Well-Known Member

These were seconds directly from AE, so perhaps that was it.

6. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

+1 on the impressive shine!

7. MoneyWellSpent

I really like the color of AE's new Bourbon shoes, but is it me or are these cases starting to sound too common? I wish they would have created a new color calfskin for these shoes rather than just taking their original Walnut calf and simply applying some burnishing. I'm hesitant to consider a pair because there doesn't seem to be any guarantee that they will be remotely near the same color after a few months of wear and care.

8. ddgdl

ddgdl Well-Known Member

As an update- I performed the same routine on the other shoe, with the same results. Both shoes are now substantially lighter than the color they arrived in, though at least they match now.

9. MoneyWellSpent

Well at least they match! Hopefully the color is still to your liking.

10. ddgdl

ddgdl Well-Known Member

As someone else said, the color will change with time anyways, so I'm not getting too upset about it. But the color is definitely...unique [​IMG]

11. JL3212

JL3212 Senior member

Some of the shoe experts on here can probably speak to the shoe itself, but it may not have anything to do with the shoe other than you are bringing something damp into an area that has mold spores. It could be the case that your fan may be dirty and have mold spores on it and then once you blow it on a damp surface (your soles) the actual mold starts to grow.

I guess I would at least try putting them in a dry, lighted area without using a fan and see what happens. I would also double check wherever you store your shoes to make sure there isn't mold growing anywhere.

12. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Senior member

Cool

13. Crat

Crat Senior member

Also, I'm experimenting with crease removal through steam. Anyone done this yet?
    I read about it somewhere and though I havent tested it extensively yet the results so far look promising.
    You should have seen my housemates' faces though when two of them walked in to find me vigorously rubbing a shoe with a spoon under the full blast of my espresso machine's steam wand. :laugh:

Will get back to you on this soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Nice recovery.

These are the Edward Green Galways, Correct?

Crat, so what color or colors of polish do you plan on using on these if you don't mind me asking?

15. Crat

Crat Senior member

Thanks dddrees

Yes they are Galways and I intend to use dark brown polish. In my experience wax(?, the stuff you usually find in the tins) doens't add too much colour too quickly. I often use a polish in a slightly darker shade than the shoe.