• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eek.gif

What he said.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That seems logical to me as well. 

It does to me too and I don't expext much from these experiments. Still, rather than just theorize about the process I thought I might as well try it out on an old pair.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. It embarrasses me to say probably 100+ ultra thin coats
shog[1].gif
They are extremely thin.
2. Different shoes take differing amounts of time. High quality JL will come up quicker than standard C&J. It's all about those micro bumps in the leather.
3. Correction: from around 30 to 45 seconds.
4. I use normal (what's that) pressure at the beginning, getting lighter in pressure once I have the mirror. Upon deciding that I've 'arrived', I use a feather touch + much less hard wax.

Everyone seems to get results using their own method. No two ever alike it seems.

Hope that helps

Lear

Thanks, Lear. I still have your very comprehensive reply on shining RMs and the mirror on your Connaughts is the standard to which I aspire.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sun's up so I took some more picture of this 'cellar experiment'.
So far I'm quite pleased with the result; the creases have diminished considerably though this has made the tears in the leather all the more visible.
I'll give them some wear tomorrow and keep you guys posted on how they hold up.

Last edited:

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not using it after such a punishment would be silly but it was not the reno that diminished the creases.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May I ask how you managed to destroy the leather to that extent even before the treatment?

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sun's up so I took some more picture of this 'cellar experiment'.
So far I'm quite pleased with the result; the creases have diminished considerably though this has made the tears in the leather all the more visible.
I'll give them some wear tomorrow and keep you guys posted on how they hold up.

Had to laugh at the fact that they still have a mirror toe even though it looks like a dog's been at them!

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

May I ask how you managed to destroy the leather to that extent even before the treatment?

These were my first 'proper' shoes and have they have seen lots of wear. I babied them for the first 5(?) years of their life but the leather started to tear nonetheless. From then on I gradually started using them as beaters. They became my 'formal' nightlife shoes and I wear them when sneakers aren't appropriate.

Last edited:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, just wanted to know if these were a result of negligence or just a lot of wear. :D

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Formerly Spoo's shoos, reborn!
Before:

After:

Toying with shining the toecaps, what's the thoughts?

Apologies for the atrocious camera work!

Edit for slightly better pictures!

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with Walnut Cordovan?

What color cream or paste do you use?

The closest color I could find was light brown Saphir cream, however it was the regular kind and not the type that you are supposed to use with Cordovan.

Photo from J Gilberts Website.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
anyone experienced in adding and removing eyelets?

looks intriguing

eyeletoutlet.com

anyone down for flowers, or football eyelets? :bounce2:

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Formerly Spoo's shoos, reborn!
Before:

After:

Toying with shining the toecaps, what's the thoughts?

Apologies for the atrocious camera work!

are these the dc lewis shell captoes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads