Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

For #2 MoneyWellSpent can, and has, given you a better answer than I could.

As far as the high carnauba blend: It is part of my all natural, non-toxic, shoe polish line. I refer to it as a High Shine paste. Because of the ingredients, when I use the high ratio of carnauba wax in the mixture it makes the paste very hard (almost like dried out paste polish). This allows me to easily control the amount of polish I put on the applicator (cotton cloth or cotton round), and the harder paste comes to a shine faster than a normal paste polish.

2. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Thanks for clearing that up.

3. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

For the record, the most insightful posts I've read regarding shoe care and shoe construction have come from you two, respectively.

Regarding shoe construction in particular, I really wish I could see it first hand. MoneyWellSpent, I've read your posts thrice over sometimes, but still have a hard time grasping all of the construction spatially without seeing it done in person.

4. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

glenjay and moneywellspent thank you for your answers

5. ddgdl

ddgdl Well-Known Member

So I just received a pair of AE's bourbon strands, and decided to apply some Reno...only to remove a large chunk of the bourbon coloring. oops. I didn't think Reno would do that, but apparently I was mistaken. Now my left is somewhere between walnut and bourbon- I'm attempting to fix it by using dark brown AE polish. Any other suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013

6. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Right when I got mine, I applied lotion, and there was definitely a bit of grey residue that came up. If that's what you're talking about, I don't think you need to worry. I just let that happen because it was a very light amount of residue, and I treated them normally. As you saw, they turned out just fine. Maybe you should post a picture.

7. ddgdl

ddgdl Well-Known Member

This was more than a little bit of grey residue- this was brown/black on the cloth. I'll take some photos. And to clarify- I meant Renovateur, not Renomat.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013

8. ddgdl

ddgdl Well-Known Member

Photos- the difference is most obvious in the middle photo, and by the laces in the first photo.
    .[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Thanks for the generous complements.

10. ddgdl

ddgdl Well-Known Member

Any expert advice? Or should I just bite the bullet and do the same to the right shoe to try and match them up again?

11. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

My advice would be exactly that. What is done to one should should generally speaking be done to the other. No harm done. They are going to change color over time anyway.

I'd start with a cream polish as close to the current shoe color as reasonably possible. Err on the light side rather than the dark side. Dark may absorb a bit unevenly if the shoes are still dry in spots.

12. nickwjd

nickwjd Well-Known Member

I've noticed recently on a pair of my shoes that they start to get a buildup of mold on the soles after they get wet. If I get caught in the rain with leather soled shoes, I usually set them on their side on the floor and point a small fan at the soles to aid in the drying process. I leave them like this overnight, then put them back into my shoe rack the next day. But sometimes, a few days later, I'll notice mold on the sole. It brushes off easily and is a non issue once I start walking, but it is quite annoying. Anyway I can stop this from happening?

13. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

Did you by chance buy these on eBay? I ask because I had a similar problem a few years back with shoes that were listed as brand new. It turned out that the seller was buying seconds with (in my case) inconsistent coloring, and covering up the inconsistencies with a ton of polish.

If there's excess polish on the leather, Renovateur will remove it. I've never seen Renovateur do that to a shoe's normal finish.

14. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

Thank you. I'm happy to think I may have been of some help.

15. Crat

Crat Senior member